Poll

How many members are in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia Washington area?  Who's out there?

Yes, let's get together and share some love for Music, Equipment and Food!
22 (81.5%)
Yes, let's gather once in a while and show off our stuff!
5 (18.5%)
No, too much rain, I am NOT going out!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???

Sonny

Re: PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???
« Reply #80 on: 21 Oct 2016, 06:03 pm »
Okay, still hoping to make it!  Dad's 81st Birthday this weekend, etc....

I know, I instigated this and need to do all I can to show!

Stayed tuned!

JakeJ

« Reply #81 on: 21 Oct 2016, 09:59 pm »
Hope you can make an appearance, Tuan, but as stated family first.  My Dad rolls on 91 this February, 24 2017.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #82 on: 21 Oct 2016, 10:11 pm »
I'm not going to make it this time, need to ice my wrist for 10 minutes every hour, kind of a hassle when not at home, and my wife invited some friends over for dinner, so I'd need to be back in Gig Harbor by 5 PM.  Looking forward to the next get together. Greg I hope your Mom is doing better and that the music helps you get back on track.

Jeff

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #83 on: 21 Oct 2016, 10:32 pm »
Thanks Greg,
I'll bring the Exemplar Oppo 105 and some good IPA.
I will PM soon for address,
Have a great weekend for all of you,
Flo

Flo,

You are still bringing the Oppo correct? Just want to make we have a disk spinner.

Thanks,

Greg

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #84 on: 21 Oct 2016, 10:59 pm »
My audio friend Marcus is not going to make it or if he does it will be an in and out affair. So, if anyone else would like to join in you are welcome to come. Just email, PM me and I'll shoot you my address.

Also, just want to confirm noon as the start time, you are welcome to show up early or later no problem. Jakej is going to come a little early and help out with the food, otherwise just bring whatever you feel like. Audio gear, music, pop, booze, nothing, whatever works for you.

We live off the road, there are two dirt driveways heading up to our place. You take the first one and then veer left or go straight and just park at the top in front of either the 2 story gray garage or the brown single story building. Just don't park in the driveway in front of the old white house on the right so they can get out of their parking area.

Let me know if you can make it and if you have any questions.

JakeJ

« Reply #85 on: 22 Oct 2016, 12:53 am »
See you tomorrow 'round 10, K?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #86 on: 22 Oct 2016, 06:00 am »
Greg,

I'd have loved to drive up for the day. Im sure you will have a blast.

I'm knee deep in downsizing my father from a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment into assisted living less than half the size, so a lot of stuff must go.  :o

Someday, I'll surprise you with a visit.

HAVE FUN!

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #87 on: 22 Oct 2016, 07:36 am »
See you tomorrow 'round 10, K?

Hey Jake!

How about 10:30 or a bit later? I had a very long week and I'm just getting to bed now about 12:30 Saturday morning.

We don't have to have everything ready when people show up, we can just put them to work when they get here :lol:

See everyone in about 12 hours or so  :thumb:

Sonny

« Reply #88 on: 22 Oct 2016, 04:43 pm »
Greg, sorry but I can't make it this time.  Please post pictures and thoughts t make me feel bad about missing the GTG!

mca

« Reply #89 on: 24 Oct 2016, 06:11 pm »
What a great first PSAG get together! I got to meet some great new people and listen to some excellent new gear. Greg was a great host and has a beautiful dedicated audio room and getting to hear his GR Research Super V speakers in that large room was a real treat. It was also nice to meet Marcus, Jake and Flo, all nice guys who brought over some great gear as well. I was there for six hours and it felt like it went by in a snap. Looking forward to another meet some day!

mca

« Reply #90 on: 24 Oct 2016, 06:13 pm »

Sonny

« Reply #91 on: 25 Oct 2016, 12:07 am »
Nice set guys!  Sorry to have missed it, but glad you guys had a great GTG!

Next time for sure!

So, how many of you were there? Who, etc.?  We'd like to get faces and names so we feel more connected!

Tuan

JakeJ

« Reply #92 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:23 am »
There were five of us including our host Greg.  Myself, Jake, and I'm JakeJ here on AC.  Mike who is MCA here.  Flo who is dixi on AC.  Flo is from Romania originally and he was very interesting to talk to.  Finally Marcus who is a friend or Greg's and recently joined us as giantnutz.  Sorry, Tuan, I didn't take any photos of people, just gear.

Ya wanna meet us then you know what you gotta do!

The GR Research Super V's, they are incredible.  Greg's pair have the open back version of the P-Audio driver and the soundstage was wide and deep.  Makes me want to hear a set of Super 7's.  Makes me want to hear more of Danny's designs.

Lets see, we listened to four different amps.  First up was Gregs Crown XLS1500 Class D amp.  It sounded pretty good on the V's.  There were a couple of instances where there was some treble glare that got to me but all in all pretty good, and for a couple of hundred buck on the used market.  Next up was a pair of Quicksilver Mono 90's and they were typical of Quicksilver which eschews a vintage sound character, rounded bass and a bit creamy up top.  Next we listened to a pair of Atma-Sphere M-60s.  Now these were just the ticket for the V's, the top opened up, the midrange smoothed and there was no issue with bass as the servo subs in the V's were matched just fine, no gooey-ness here.  Last we listened to the deHavilland 845 amps and holy moly these are without a doubt the most wonderful sounding tube amps I have ever heard.  The bass is better controlled than the previous tube amps, the midrange was incredibly liquid, and the top continues this on to the sweetest high treble.  I want a pair.

We used three sources.  First was Greg's Apple Mac Mini server through his Metrum Acoustics Octave mini DAC, next we used Flo's Exemplar Audio modded Oppo 105 (pretty darn nice and we listened to all the amps with this), last was my CEC TL51X transport and Greg's server through my Metrum Acoustics HEX DAC.  I felt all the digital sources were fairly evenly matched in sound.  I could not make out any glaring differences and in fact thought they all presented music without any added colorations of their own.

I have some more photos of gear like MCA's on my phone.  If I find any that are worth adding I will.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #93 on: 25 Oct 2016, 05:49 pm »
I want to thank everyone who made it to our first GTG, Jake, Flo, Marcus and Mike, I had a really great time talking to all of you. Thank you also Tuan for getting this all started, even if you couldn't make it this time. What a bunch of great guys to spend a Saturday with, and man did we have some good gear to listen to. A special thanks to Jake for coming early and helping out with the food. And Mike, thank you for taking the time to post pictures, If anyone else wants to post more pictures please do.

Jake pretty much summed up my impressions regarding how the different gear sounded, The M-60s are really nice with the Super V's and a better match than my Butler 2250,  which we didn't get around to listening to. I wanted to throw the XLS 1500 into the mix just to show what that amp can do for very little money. The show stopper for me was the deHavilland 845 amps, they just do everything right. What a wonderful presentation, all the detail top to bottom and silky smooth at the same time. Jake's Metrum Hex dac was definitely a few notches above my Metrum Octave, more clarity, open and detailed without any added harshness at all.

I'll be looking at my calendar again soon and hopefully we can get something in the works sooner than later. Would also like to see some new faces 

giantnutz

« Reply #94 on: 26 Oct 2016, 12:56 am »
   What a fun Saturday afternoon! Thanks Greg for hosting a cool GTG and thanks to to other attendees for making me feel welcome. Lots of cool gear and good music being presented in a variety of different flavors.  Looking forward to the next one.

Jpktenere

« Reply #95 on: 26 Oct 2016, 06:30 pm »
Ah hell can't believe I missed this meet up in my back yard. I kind of fell out due to my baby boy being born on September 29th.  I would definitely love to come to the next one and bring some gear to compare. Think I am also going to try to hit up the meeting on November 8th in Kirkland.. I am in silver lake (Everett).. Sonny are you the one I bought the dyna 20/2 from?

SFDude

« Reply #96 on: 22 Nov 2016, 03:19 am »
Looks like you all had a great time! Hopefully one coming soon so I can clear my calendar and attend as well.  :green:

BTW, does anyone know of a tube amp repair person around Seattle area I can get to repair something for me? I got a reference to Roger Hug but there's no answer and return call from him when I tried once.

Thanks!

-dave

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #97 on: 22 Nov 2016, 03:36 am »
Just a few miles south of Seattle is http://classictubeaudio.com.   44 years of work and look for his new amp called The Whammerdine http://www.whammerdyne.com/

I am just a unbiased ( at times) consumer. 

Alan

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #98 on: 22 Nov 2016, 04:40 am »
I would like to offer up another GTG on Saturday Dec. 3rd. I know it's somewhat short notice but my plans changed so I have this opportunity to get some of us together.

Let me know who can make it and would like to come. New faces are welcome and maybe some of you who really wanted to come last time can. I will probably start it early again for those who have a bit of a drive. Let's get a head count and see how we land. The place isn't huge but if people don't mind standing in the kitchen we will be fine. Since the kitchen is just the back of the listening room, it's not a terrible place to be (that's where the beverages are) and we can certainly switch around.

Greg

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #99 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:37 am »
Greg,

I am definitely interested. I hadn't expected to be on this side of the Pacific now, but my father's situation has decided my near-term future location.

I would be happy to bring my D. Sachs 6SN7 Preamp along. I suspect Alan (aldcol) would be interested if he has returned from his travels.

There is a small chance I will fly to Taiwan by the 3rd, but I don't anticipate it. My wife has already flown to Taiwan, so there's no need to find distractions for her.  :thumb: