one dipole sub with 2 drivers vs. 2 subs with one driver?

dewar

I've got 2 12" Peerless XLS drivers on the way, intended for H-baffle to complement B200 OB's

Cant decide whether to make one H-baffle sub with 2 drivers in a push/pull configuration to sit between speakers,

or

2 single driver H-baffles to sit either side of each main speaker.

Any suggestion?

note, either way they will be mono as I have only one free channel on my Behringer BFD to do both drivers with.

Many thanks

Bevan

JohninCR

Re: one dipole sub with 2 drivers vs. 2 subs with one driver?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2007, 06:33 pm »
I prefer 2.  I find that dipole bass is much more directional than boxed bass.  Also, it will give you more long-term flexibility to run them higher in frequency or with lower order XO slopes.

tubamark

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2007, 09:05 pm »
Go for the split pair:  If (when!) you upgrade later. . . you'll be ready to go stereo.

In the mean time, nothing lost:  You can still reverse one cabinet and sit on top of the other between your mains to get the push-pull H-box.  It's functionally identical to having them built into the same box, just maybe an inch or two taller.

dewar

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2007, 03:53 am »
Thanks guys.

I'll go 2 separate baffles then. Have to thumbsuck some baffle measurements now.

John, if dipoles are more directional and locatable(if that what you were meaning) wouldnt having one each side of the room cause whatever locatable sounds there are (say content over 80z) to image dead centre in the same way they would if there was one sub playing between the speakers? Or were you meaning if I was not giving each sub a summed mono signal but rather a discreet L and R channel each?

In there current position and with quite large baffles my b200's are flat down to 50hz so i will low pass the subs at 50hz 4th order. I'm guessing giving them a mono signal is no worse than stereo signal at these low frequencies? But when I someday figure out how to highpass the B200's at + 80hz I'm guessing it will be better to give the subs a stereo signal. You agree?

thanks for the expert input.

Bevan

As much as I'm looking forward to having dipole bass for music I'm also looking forward to putting my sealed sub in a corner for what it will bring to watching movies :)

JohninCR

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2007, 04:19 am »
Bevan,

I've heard that deep bass info is mono on most recordings.  I tried a single OB sub for a while, and any time I turned it on the soundstage collapsed somewhat down toward the sub.  It doesn't happen with dual subs near the speakers.  Plus, at some point you'll grow tired of monster baffles, and when you do, you'll have to cross higher, making dual a requirement anyway.  You may even want to try main drivers that can't reach that low regardless of the baffle size, again making duals required due to the higher XO.  Lastly, you may just want to experiment with 1st order XO's, which work quite well with open alignments, especially when you have trouble integrating with only an XO on the sub.