300B vs EL34 ?

Guy 13

300B vs EL34 ?
« on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:42 am »
Hi all,
just want to share my personal opinion.
I never heard any 300B, however, I did listen to some EL34 (SET) amplifiers.
To some, there is no comparison in sound between the two, the 300B sounds better,
how much better???
On TTS (The Tube Store) website the price for a Electro Harmonix 300B Gold grid is 117.95USD/each.
Also on TTS a EL34 price vary between 16.95 USD/each (JJ)
and 25.95 USD/each (Mullard) so average price is 21.45 USD.
So the price of a EH 300B is 5 times the price of a EL34.
Is the 300B 5 times more powerful?
Is the 300B 5 times more reliable?
Is the 300B sounds 5 times better?
I know, it's not the same, cannot compare like that,
but that's how I see it.
So, if you don't agree, keep buying the 300B
and keep your wallet handy in case it fail,
for me I will have for a lot less $$$ several spares.
I now use the EL84 (EH @ 12.95 USD/each),
(I know it only give out 2wpc)
so my comparison/calculation still stand.
Each one is preferences...

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: 300B vs EL34 ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2015, 12:00 pm »
EL34 wired as Triode makes bad recorded CDs sound good.
Never heard a 300B can do it.

sebrof

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:27 pm »
Hi all,
just want to share my personal opinion.
I never heard any 300B, however, I did listen to some EL34 (SET) amplifiers.
To some, there is no comparison in sound between the two, the 300B sounds better,
how much better???
On TTS (The Tube Store) website the price for a Electro Harmonix 300B Gold grid is 117.95USD/each.
Also on TTS a EL34 price vary between 16.95 USD/each (JJ)
and 25.95 USD/each (Mullard) so average price is 21.45 USD.
So the price of a EH 300B is 5 times the price of a EL34.
I know, it's not the same, cannot compare like that,
but that's how I see it.
So, if you don't agree, keep buying the 300B
and keep your wallet handy in case it fail,
for me I will have for a lot less $$$ several spares.
I now use the EL84 (EH @ 12.95 USD/each),
(I know it only give out 2wpc)
so my comparison/calculation still stand.
Each one is preferences...

Guy 13

I won't get into what sounds better because that wasn't your point.

But - If someone thinks 300Bs sound better than EL34s or EL84s or whatever, then the $200 difference for a pair of tubes that should last at least a couple of years will most certainly not be a consideration for many (most) people in this hobby. Many people happily pay much more than $200 for even the smallest improvement to their system.

Again, this is if you believe 300Bs sound better.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2015, 02:26 pm »

300B puts out 8 watts in most standard configurations.  Some amps can push that to 10w, but honestly the difference is super small.   EL34 in triode puts out 5 watts, again at standard operating points.   EL34 is linear, but it is not as linear at the 300B.   Still it is the whole amp not the output tube that makes an amp sound good.    I have a SE KT88 in ultra linear amp (~10w) that I built that I think sounds better than my 300B monos.  Its just more lively, punchy and dynamic.  The 300B has spooky midrange purity.  The KT88 has better bass.   I haven't done a serious shootout in a long time though.

Usually amps that use 300B are going to be built to a higher price point regardless of the output tube.  EL34 triode amps usually are budget amps, so the comparison isn't fair at all.   Circuitry and iron will matter more than the output tube in my opinion. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2015, 02:51 pm »
I like my 300B amp because it sounds good to me, not because 300Bs are expensive.

I bought my 300B amp because it was the best sounding amp that I had ever heard at that time, not because of any stigma surrounding the 300B. I could care less about 300Bs, or any tube that stands alone outside of a circuit.

I don't think that a 300B sounds better just because they cost more money. I think it is all about the total design of the amp, as Josh explained above. Whenever you have something that is excellent, someone else can come along and make something else just as excellent, or even better. This is the nature of things - that's life.

If I ever hear an El34 or EL84 amp that sounds better than my 300B amp, I will gladly sell my 300B amp to buy that better amp. (If I can afford it.)  That's life too. Enjoy what you have now, and keep your eyes and ears open to trying new things.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:18 am »
Hi all.
It won't be the first time, no more than the last time,
when I write something that is not exactly what I think
or what I want to say.
My point was/is that I prefer to buy something that's not expensive to repair.
Replacing a 100 USD+ vacuum tube, would break my hart,
replacing a 12,95 USD vacuum tube, would make me smile,
especially when I think that some others have to pay ten times more
for a tube.
That's why when I was in Canada,
my business could afford to buy a Mercedes or a BMW,
but I never wanted to own such a car
because of the high cost of maintenance.
Sound quality between the 300B and a EL34 is of course different,
because of the tube itself and because of the circuit.
So, to each one is preference and choice.
For me it's either a EL84 or EL34 in SET.

Guy 13

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 12:06 pm by Guy 13 »

E55l2

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:31 pm »
Most people forget that it's not only the tube that counts. It' s the circuit that counts plus the quality of the components. Some components can be cheap, carbon restistors or paper in oil capasitors for some people for instance, other prefer more "modern" resisters/ capacitors.
The output transformers are very importand. Not specially the price of it but the performance counts.
Good low loss cores, low copper losss, good frequency respones without ringing at the high frequencies is important.

Better a El34 (in triode mode) and a good outputtransformer then a 300B with a poor transformer. Of course a good circuit design.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:47 pm »
In my country the famous Jadis was debunked by use cheap parts.
Only the OPT was great sound.

E55l2

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2015, 07:47 pm »
I do a lot of upgrades for Jadis, normally the output transformer.
Jadis is just a normal commercial brand, nothing special about it, just as other commercial brands.

In my country the famous Jadis was debunked by use cheap parts.
Only the OPT was great sound.

eherdian

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2015, 07:16 am »
I just finished upgrading Audion Sterling standard which is use EL34 in SE configuration.  To my surprise,  that amp was use very cheap components and (ahemm) only use SCR capacitor as couplings.
So I replace important components,  jupiter copper caps in coupling,  TKD resistor for all small grounding,  shinkoh tantalum for grid resistor,  and Mills for cathode resistor.  several electrolytic caps replaced by Elna Silmic II,  the rest,  I kept it as before.   The improvement is substantial, the mid is more bold and live,  the bass become tigher, hi is more delicate and almost close enough to my 300B diy amp which is use all premium components.   BTW the coupling caps and grid resistor also as the same.

jazzwave

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:53 am »
I used Cayin A70 EL34 (Winged C) Push pull amp (Mundorf caps) and SET 300B GoldLion (DIY) amp to drive Spendor 3/5
To my ears, SET300B do better than EL34 amp, the SET300B make my Spendor speaker really sing.
Never heard EL34 SET amp, so I cannot comment.

I like SET amp more than Pushpull, regadless what kind tube type installed.

~ron~

Poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2015, 03:02 pm »
In some counties the 300b is called the king of tubes while the 2a3 is the queen

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2015, 03:05 pm »
In my country 2A3 is called the Triode emotion, for the all musical presentation.

Steve

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2015, 04:55 pm »
As someone mentioned above, there is a lot more to an amplifier than one tube type. And each part makes a
sonic difference. The designs of almost all tube amplifiers seem on the questionable side. One quick check of the small coupling capacitors between stages (in case of amplifier overload one does not hear the distortion as much) instantly gives the indication of poor design skills, even from designers over seas. 

Went past 2a3/300b a long time ago. In fact I use PP KT88s/6550s in UL Mode anytime over both SET and triode mode, and of course pentode/beam mode. Everything is as good or better, accuracy, natural, dynamics, soundstage, inner detail, emotion, you name it, with more power and less cost. I have not heard a 300b/2a3/45 amp, or for that matter, many other designs that did not artificially flavor the sound. Of course there is much profit to be made selling 45/2a3/300bs.  :wink:

I do not use EL34s at all, no need too.

Cheers
Steve

ps. I am not a manufacturer anymore.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2015, 08:33 pm »
Hope they never change those Bottlehead flavors.   :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2015, 09:37 pm »
X2 :thumb: :thumb:

Steve

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2015, 09:38 pm »

It is hard to beat an introductory $400 preamplifier, or amplifier for cost, but then the sound is thin to the midrange and even higher. I take it you are attempting to compensate with the speaker, maybe a subwoofer? But how are you compensating for the lack of highs?

Cheers
Steve

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2015, 10:34 pm »
Sometimes,  you don't have to choose 1 or the other.  My David Berning 300b amplifier can use 300b, EL34, or 6L6 output tubes.  The fact there is no output transformer makes it possible. The 300b is the most linear, and the EL34 smoothes the rough edges if needed, and has more gain.  I generally listen to the 300b. It is open, extended at both the top and bottom, and natural.  No compromises.   :D

Steve

« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2015, 11:00 pm »
Sometimes,  you don't have to choose 1 or the other.  My David Berning 300b amplifier can use 300b, EL34, or 6L6 output tubes.  The fact there is no output transformer makes it possible. The 300b is the most linear, and the EL34 smoothes the rough edges if needed, and has more gain.  I generally listen to the 300b. It is open, extended at both the top and bottom, and natural.  No compromises.   :D

There are a couple of huge, gigantic problems with that scenario. First, there is always an output transformer to impedance match to the speaker, unless it is an OTL type, or some other inefficient design. The output transformer may just look or seem to operate differently.

Secondly, with different tube types, or even the same tube number but by different manufacturers, each output tube requires an overall design to optimize that particular tube/type. And I don't just mean adjusting the bias voltage for the output tube(s). In other wards, the overall optimum design for the 300b will not be optimum for the EL34 or 6L6, sonic/music wise. The optimum design for the EL34 is not optimum for the 300b or 6L6.

I am afraid the design presented to you is a compromise for at least two of the output tubes. There is no free lunch.

Cheers
Steve

ps. Are you sure the 300b is the most linear tube on the market? Be careful with the claims.  :thumb:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2015, 12:56 am »
It is hard to beat an introductory $400 preamplifier, or amplifier for cost, but then the sound is thin to the midrange and even higher. I take it you are attempting to compensate with the speaker, maybe a subwoofer? But how are you compensating for the lack of highs?

Cheers
Steve

While you're at it tell me how bad my Lowthers suck  :duh: