BDP-2 Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #740 on: 22 Jul 2014, 05:33 pm »
Hi all
 Has anyone used an  SSD+enclosure  plugged into one of the USB ports?   

Thanks, Rich

Just pay attention to the AMP rating on a drive when your buying one without an enclosure.  The USB ports can't handle much more then .5 amp, but also keep in mind most enclosures include a USB Y style cable to plug into two USB ports doubling the AMP rating.

Cheers,
Chris

MoPac

« Reply #741 on: 24 Jul 2014, 06:51 pm »
Chris:
 Stuck on "U" ( update drive ). S2.05 2014-07-11.   Drive is a generic Micro Center brand.
 Loaded a 32GB thumb drive with 25.8GB of music ( 4.28 free space ).  I noticed a system folder named "Recycle" on the drive.  I ignored it and plugged the drive into the BDP.  The BDP got stuck on "U", but files did get loaded.  When scrolling through the folders I noticed they stopped at "Raiders of the Lost Arc" ( soundtrack ).  The next folder should have been "Rosewood".  A folder called "Recycle" would have fit nicely between the two.  So I yanked the drive, popped it back into the computer and deleted the "Recycle" folder.  Then I rebooted the BDP and put the drive back in.  Still stuck on "U" and still only scrolls up to "Raiders...".
  What's with that?

Thanks, Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #742 on: 25 Jul 2014, 02:06 pm »
Chris:
 Stuck on "U" ( update drive ). S2.05 2014-07-11.   Drive is a generic Micro Center brand.
 Loaded a 32GB thumb drive with 25.8GB of music ( 4.28 free space ).  I noticed a system folder named "Recycle" on the drive.  I ignored it and plugged the drive into the BDP.  The BDP got stuck on "U", but files did get loaded.  When scrolling through the folders I noticed they stopped at "Raiders of the Lost Arc" ( soundtrack ).  The next folder should have been "Rosewood".  A folder called "Recycle" would have fit nicely between the two.  So I yanked the drive, popped it back into the computer and deleted the "Recycle" folder.  Then I rebooted the BDP and put the drive back in.  Still stuck on "U" and still only scrolls up to "Raiders...".
  What's with that?

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich,

Sounds like it could one of two things either the user space wasn't generated correctly or its getting stuck on one of your files.  Judging by what your describing though it sounds more likely to be an issue with the user space, to check if this is the problem open disk information and select the "USER" partition on the 4GB drive, like depicted below, If the capacity is only 1-4MB then this is likely the issue.

Above depicts a healthy user space showing 845MB capacity, your may very by up to 600MB more or less.  Those that took part in the beta before March may have a user space of about 1.9GB.

If the user space is only a few (1-4) MB in size you should place the BDP into service mode and email us the service ID, please remember to leave the BDP on when you do this.

The other possibility is a corrupt audio file that the BDP is getting hung up on.  The BDP doesn't read the files in alphabetical order do you should check the MPD log to see what was the last file read in.

The above shows that the most recently added song was "KINGSTON/Reference_Level_-20dB_176.24.wav", the problem would be with either this file or the file that would have come afterwards.

Cheers,
Chris

MoPac

« Reply #743 on: 25 Jul 2014, 04:46 pm »
Hi Chris
 The USER capacities are:
Capacity 845M
Available 844M

The MPD Log stops here:
.....Raiders of the Lost Arc/09 The Map Room- Dawn.wav
 The next track should have been.   "10 Reunion and The Dig Begins.wav"
The log was in alphabetical ( Movie folder name ) and numerical ( Track No. ) order.

So which one might be the problem, track 09 or track 10?

Tried deleting Raiders from the the thummie and got.
  "Cannot remove folder 'Raiders....' The directory is not empty"
 Ran a Checkdisk with fix and was able to get rid of Raiders.  Put the drive back in with no raiders and got log:

(errno2)
".............decoder_thread Unrecognized URI"
".............stat/media/CC99-07A7/Raiders..........................................wav failed

There is no Raiders!  I deleted it.

Thanks for the info. :D  I should have known about the logs, but the USER capacity thing was new to me.

Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #744 on: 26 Jul 2014, 04:14 pm »
Restarting the BDP will also clear the logs, you'll lose the log but when you go to retry it'll make them easier to read.  Did you try deleting the files over the network (while the drive was still plugged into the BDP)?

Cheers
Chris

MoPac

« Reply #745 on: 27 Jul 2014, 03:32 pm »
Did you try deleting the files over the network (while the drive was still plugged into the BDP)?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris
 No. I deleted "Raiders" after pulling the thumb out of the BDP and sticking it back in the computer.  Should I have done it from "Explorer"?
 Just now set "Enable Update at Startup" from MPD and restarted the BDP.  Then put the Thumb back into the BDP.  All the folders are loaded now, except for the deleted "Raiders" of course.  We don't need no stinkin' Raiders!  Actually I.'ll try putting Raiders in from Explorer.

Thanks for your help.
Rich
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2014, 12:47 am by MoPac »

bjski

« Reply #746 on: 5 Aug 2014, 05:38 pm »
Chris,
Thanks for the update!!
cheers,
BJ

Rod_S

« Reply #747 on: 12 Aug 2014, 05:39 pm »
Hi;

Any users here of the Western Digital My Cloud NAS drives? If so does the BDP-2 have any issues seeing it on the network? I'm thinking about picking one up and doing some research to ensure my devices and future devices will see it. It appears my Xbox 360 and PS3 should see it and since the BDP-2 is a potential future product I want to ensure it can also see the drive. I currently have a 3TB WD MyBook which I suppose I could attach directly to the BDP-2 via USB if it can't connect to the My Cloud drive. The MyBook is useless on it's own for the Xbox 360 as it has to be formatted in FAT32 for a direct USB connection and then the 360 will apparently only recognize a file up 4GB so what I do now is just connect the drive to my laptop and my 360 sees it that way and I can stream files just fine.

Thanks,

Rod

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #748 on: 13 Aug 2014, 12:55 am »
Hi;

Any users here of the Western Digital My Cloud NAS drives? If so does the BDP-2 have any issues seeing it on the network? I'm thinking about picking one up and doing some research to ensure my devices and future devices will see it. It appears my Xbox 360 and PS3 should see it and since the BDP-2 is a potential future product I want to ensure it can also see the drive. I currently have a 3TB WD MyBook which I suppose I could attach directly to the BDP-2 via USB if it can't connect to the My Cloud drive. The MyBook is useless on it's own for the Xbox 360 as it has to be formatted in FAT32 for a direct USB connection and then the 360 will apparently only recognize a file up 4GB so what I do now is just connect the drive to my laptop and my 360 sees it that way and I can stream files just fine.

Thanks,

Rod

The BDP will connect to samba network shares (aka CIFS, aka windows file sharing)

Cheers
Chris

Rod_S

« Reply #749 on: 14 Aug 2014, 12:58 am »
Thanks

Rod_S

« Reply #750 on: 14 Aug 2014, 12:59 am »
Is DSD playback still being looked into? If so when people talk about playing back these files types are they talking about the .dsf file extension? I see that the DSD downloads over on AcousticSounds use that file type.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #751 on: 14 Aug 2014, 06:26 pm »
Hey Chris,

The Manic Moose interface is KILLER.

Thanks,

Mike
Sarasota, FL

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #752 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:42 am »
Is DSD playback still being looked into? If so when people talk about playing back these files types are they talking about the .dsf file extension? I see that the DSD downloads over on AcousticSounds use that file type.

The manic mood manual describes the DSD capabilities in the new firmware

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #753 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:48 am »
Hi

Here's the link to the manual

http://bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

james

Rod_S

« Reply #754 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:39 am »
Thanks guys

Apologies, so now I'm confused. I just read that section. Does that imply the BDP-2 on it's own can't play DSD and that it has to be connected to a DAC that can? So I have a Lexicon MC-12 which I would be using as my DAC (AES/EBU from BDP-2 to Lexicon MC-12) and I know it does not support DSD so if I purchased the BDP-2 I would not be able to playback DSD files? Would the same be true if I purchased the BDA-1/BDA-2?

Rod

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #755 on: 15 Aug 2014, 01:51 am »
The BDP2 is not a DAC and does not include a DAC.
The BDP2 prior to manic moose would only spit out
PCM files, after Manic Moose it would also spit out
DSD, but only thru the USB ports....

Your DAC must be DSD compatible, such as the Ayre,
or Auralic Vega, or Chord Hugo, PS Audio Directstream etc....

Thanks guys

Apologies, so now I'm confused. I just read that section. Does that imply the BDP-2 on it's own can't play DSD and that it has to be connected to a DAC that can? So I have a Lexicon MC-12 which I would be using as my DAC (AES/EBU from BDP-2 to Lexicon MC-12) and I know it does not support DSD so if I purchased the BDP-2 I would not be able to playback DSD files? Would the same be true if I purchased the BDA-1/BDA-2?

Rod

Rod_S

« Reply #756 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:07 am »
Thanks for the additional info. Even without the whole DSD thing I know I would need a DAC and I intended to just use my Lexicon MC-12 to perform those duties, at least initially until I perhaps went for a dedicated DAC. I would like to be able to do DSD as well however I need to fill in all my knowledge gaps there. So I need a DAC capable of DSD playback, ok check, so that rules out the 2 Bryston's which sucks. My intended connection method between the BDP-2 and whatever DAC was going to be AES/EBU however are you also saying that for DSD that's a no go, I need to run a USB connection instead between the BDP-2 and chosen DAC?

lycia

« Reply #757 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:54 am »

I endeavoured to update the BDP-2's firmware today in response to a notice that new firmware was available, and received the following:

"Downloading firmware filesystem
0 100% @1476
Downloading boot drivers
1357 100% @1353
Downloading vmlinuz image
0 100% @1333
Running Filesystem Check: b501dbb5d56bb6261209449daf6e83c2 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
: Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be:
Calculated: b501dbb5
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again
/"

Three subsequent attempts elicited the same answer.

I have rebooted the BDP-2 several times and "New Firmware Available" is still showing but to no avail!

What is my next step?

S2.04 2014-06-19
    Build: Manic Moose
    MPD: 0.18.6
    Kernel: 3.12-0.bpo.1-486

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #758 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:01 am »
I found an old post from Chris saying any manic firmware prior to S05 has
the update function broken....

I've asked the question, but I'm afraid it involves taking the top off the unit
and the flashcard out of it.......which I am NOT doing!

I'm beginning to wonder if this manic moose will ever be out of beta (been over a year)
and I'm also wondering if I should just sell my BDP2 and get something a little
more "finished".....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #759 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:46 pm »
I found an old post from Chris saying any manic firmware prior to S05 has
the update function broken....

I've asked the question, but I'm afraid it involves taking the top off the unit
and the flashcard out of it.......which I am NOT doing!

I'm beginning to wonder if this manic moose will ever be out of beta (been over a year)
and I'm also wondering if I should just sell my BDP2 and get something a little
more "finished".....

Hi Zulu

Sorry you are running into issues.  The update process from the previous version of software Loony Loon has had some challenges but once the most recent version of Manic Moose gets loaded things straighten out.  Please put your BDP2 in SERVICE mode and Email Chris Rice with the number and he will be able to remotely connect and sort things out.

james