Anyone "downgrade" to a headphone setup?

kingdeezie

Anyone "downgrade" to a headphone setup?
« on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:15 pm »
So, I recently I got to measuring my room, as I have for years not been able to get my speakers to sound right. Even with my extensive room treatments, financial output, time, and work, I am still not happy.

Sometimes I feel like I get more enjoyment out of my HE400s hooked up to my phone, since it is so simple, and sounds reasonably decent.

Has anyone here gone from a speaker system, to solely headphones and been reasonably happy?

Given my room difficulties, the fact that I live in a townhouse, and the multitude of other factors, it seems at this point like a better and less stressful option to just simplify.

Anyone here done it, and greatly regretted it?

Thanks.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Anyone "downgrade" to a headphone setup?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:19 pm »
I have taken times of extensive hiatus from my speaker system and focused primarily on headphones.
While there is a difference in perspective in terms of musical presentation, I've found headphones can
be very satisfying...especially in revealing details in the music.  Just beware that "head-fi" can be just
as bottomless a pit as your home setup in terms of wanting to upgrade or make changes.
regards,
Hibuck....

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:36 pm »
I have taken times of extensive hiatus from my speaker system and focused primarily on headphones.
While there is a difference in perspective in terms of musical presentation, I've found headphones can
be very satisfying...especially in revealing details in the music.  Just beware that "head-fi" can be just
as bottomless a pit as your home setup in terms of wanting to upgrade or make changes.
regards,
Hibuck....

Well stated.  I went through a headphone stage, and one can get caught up in upgrade-itis there just as well as the main system. 

I bought a Stax Headphone setup second-hand (SRM 007ii / SR 507), and that was a revelation, to say the least.  Once you hear them, you realize that most headphones fall short compared to the Stax ESL.  I did go back to using a main system, but continue to enjoy the Stax headphones on a regular basis. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2014, 02:37 pm »
regards,
Hibuck....

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated. The difference is though, with head-fi, the changes I make will not be effected by something I have no control over.

steve in jersey

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2014, 05:32 pm »
So, I recently I got to measuring my room, as I have for years not been able to get my speakers to sound right. Even with my extensive room treatments, financial output, time, and work, I am still not happy.

Sometimes I feel like I get more enjoyment out of my HE400s hooked up to my phone, since it is so simple, and sounds reasonably decent.

Has anyone here gone from a speaker system, to solely headphones and been reasonably happy?

Given my room difficulties, the fact that I live in a townhouse, and the multitude of other factors, it seems at this point like a better and less stressful option to just simplify.

Thanks.

I've been going just that "route" a for a few years now(as I stare at a pair of "static" Magneplanar 2.7QR across the room from me) &
& I've been pretty happy*.  (*with about $8k of equipment sitting in front of my Headphones)

Seeing as how you've gone as far as investing in extensive room treatment & spent time,effort & money trying to get everything to work,
tells me you probably have a fairly nice "system" already in place. Use that nice system.

I use either my HD800 or HE-6 phones in my system. The only difference is that instead of using a speaker amp I use a Headphone amp. I really have no interest in "portable" listening.

Yes, you can use your HE 400 w/ your phone but that should just be an additional option when you're "out & about" (It's normally what's
playing your music that gives you issue with how things sound comparatively to something else)

kingdeezie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:13 pm »
I've been going just that "route" a for a few years now(as I stare at a pair of "static" Magneplanar 2.7QR across the room from me) &
& I've been pretty happy*.  (*with about $8k of equipment sitting in front of my Headphones)

Seeing as how you've gone as far as investing in extensive room treatment & spent time,effort & money trying to get everything to work,
tells me you probably have a fairly nice "system" already in place. Use that nice system.

I use either my HD800 or HE-6 phones in my system. The only difference is that instead of using a speaker amp I use a Headphone amp. I really have no interest in "portable" listening.

Yes, you can use your HE 400 w/ your phone but that should just be an additional option when you're "out & about" (It's normally what's
playing your music that gives you issue with how things sound comparatively to something else)

Steve,

This was my plan.

I was going to keep everything that is before my preamplifier now, and just replace my preamp/amp/speakers with a nice headphone setup.

Something like the RSA Darkstar and HE-6 or LCD3.

This will eliminate the problems I have with my room, give me decent playback, and allow me all hours of the day/night vinyl listening, movie watching, and video game playing.

santacore

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:23 pm »
I try to keep both setups going depending on mood/household. I've gone through periods where my headphone rig was all I listened to, due to system changes or gear repairs. With my current high end headphone setup, I rarely missed my speaker system. It's a very different experience, but can be just as rewarding.

As an alternative to the Darkstar, I would suggest checking out the DNA Stratus. It's a 2A3 based amp that's less expensive, hand made in USA, and plays nice with a wide variety of headphones. If you would prefer solid state, check out the Auralic Taurus MKII. It's the best solid state amp I have heard for the price.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:24 pm »
I would go to Stax headphones only if I lived in an apartment and had to worry about driving my neighbors insane.
I would miss the freedom of movement that you get with speakers.

kingdeezie

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:32 pm »
I try to keep both setups going depending on mood/household. I've gone through periods where my headphone rig was all I listened to, due to system changes or gear repairs. With my current high end headphone setup, I rarely missed my speaker system. It's a very different experience, but can be just as rewarding.

As an alternative to the Darkstar, I would suggest checking out the DNA Stratus. It's a 2A3 based amp that's less expensive, hand made in USA, and plays nice with a wide variety of headphones. If you would prefer solid state, check out the Auralic Taurus MKII. It's the best solid state amp I have heard for the price.

I need something that can run two headphones at the same time. Can you do that with the DNA Stratus?

santacore

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:59 pm »
Yes, the designer says that it can comfortably run 2 headphones at once.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:09 pm »

Thanks.

I downsized a year ago and haven't regretted going with headphones yet.  I sold my Maggie's and kept a medium sized bookshelf set for my bedroom, but rarely use them.  I find the detail, intimacy, and lack of room problems very enticing.  I had a couple of headphone amps, one inside a vintage integrated, so I only needed to add the headphones.  It's a different experience that requires a different mindset, so maybe not for everyone.  Rather than dive headlong, why not get a nice medium priced amp from hifiman or Schitt and see if you enjoy the experience before spending for more expensive amps.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2014, 01:44 am »
Both definitely have their place and while not wanting to light the imaging/soundstaging issue fuse, I will say that if listening alone, I reach for the headphones almost every time. For somebody like me, who has Lexus tastes and a Kia budget, my audio dollar goes much, much farther on a headphone setup than a speaker based system. The detail is just sooo much better unless you are prepared to spend big money. For some people that's not a problem, but like I say, I am a C&C audiophile anyway so headphones fit into that quite well. Look into the O2 also; mine puts a smile on my face daily. You don't need to drop big bucks on an amp unless your 'phones are a real difficult load like certain planars. The transducers have much more effect on the sound (IMHO, YMMV etc). If you do want to go upscale on an amp, another brand to consider would be Burson.

brooklyn

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2014, 05:13 am »
There’s a lot of great advise here. First and foremost, this is a great hobby but throwing money
at it doesn’t always mean guaranteed success, that’s when frustration sets in.

It took me years to realize that with a high quality audio system, everything matters especially
system setup and the room it’s in, It does take time and effort but that’s part of what this hobby
is all about. I also purchased a book a few years back called Get Better Sound by Jim Smith and
followed some of his audio system setup tips which helped me to get my audio system sounding
the way I like it.

My audio system is in one state and I work in another. I have a nice headphone/amp system at my
apartment which works out great for me because I listen late at night and don’t disturb anyone. Both
types of systems have there merits and I use them both.

Good Luck and happy listening.
Brooklyn

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2014, 02:15 pm »
and had to worry about driving my neighbors insane.

"F" 'em....

People who live above you stomp around like they are killing bugs. People around you play their gawdawful music at high volumes. People can't even walk up the stairs like a quiet human beings.

You don't blast your music intentionally, but you damn sure don't care if they hear it.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2014, 03:26 pm »
I went thru a dozen sets of headphones and amps, settled in on Beyer T90s and a desktop O2 amp called the ODA. It will drive two sets of headphones art one as well.

My SalkSongTowers are still in the room but not used as much as the headphones primarily due to the ease of the headphones and amp, getting them up and running via a PC.

I still think the speakers are better than any headphones I have listened to, but the headphones certainly provide a really good listening experience as well.

Alex

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2014, 07:27 pm »
Timely thread (may have a chance to work in a different state for a year or so, so the main rig will not be leaving the man cave at home).  Did the headphone route in college dorms.  Way smarter than speakers (cheaper, smaller, less chance of theft, no spl competition with neighbors).  And in your case smart in apparent terms of room acoustics (too many over invest for the given room).  As mentioned above a pair of stand mounts (seriously consider active) with headphones could be just the ticket.

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2014, 12:49 pm »
If you would have told me a couple years ago that the majority of my listening would be with headphones, and my speakers would get far less use than they had been, I would have called ya crazy. But that's exactly what happened. I have no desire to ever sell my Maggies, and I have a little RSL system that I love too, but I'd say that as much as 75% of the time these days I'm reaching for a headphone. I could be perfectly happy going to headphones exclusively at this point. I don't plan to DO that, but I could  :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2014, 01:01 pm »
Hi all.
The only reason that would make me use less my speakers
and more my headphones is if I move back to Canada in a small apartment
with neighbour all around me.
I don't think headphones will ever make me as happy as with my speakers.
It's mainly because of the non existent sound stage with headphones.

Guy 13

randytsuch

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2014, 01:25 pm »
I need something that can run two headphones at the same time. Can you do that with the DNA Stratus?

Are you going to have two of the same cans?
If the cans are different (like the he4 and he6), I don't know if this will work.  If you adjust the volume for the he6, it will probably be too load on the he4.  The 6 is much harder to drive.

You could make an attenuator I suppose, not sure how well that would work.

If you live somewhere around a head fi meet, thats a way to listen to nice setups, although its not an optimal environment (too many people walking around and talking).

And I have been happy with a Schiit Lyr and a HE5 and the Maddog Alphas, but I just built a set of GR research LGKs.  I haven't had a speaker setup for over a year, and it is nice to listen to speakers again.  But it is different from cans, nice to have both.

Randy

solrage

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2014, 11:57 pm »
I'm currently in a state of doing the opposite. I spent many years using headphones exclusively, eventually getting a "Mt. Olympus" set-up with the Sony R10s, Audio Technica L3000s, and Singlepower SDS-XLR amp, and am now selling them to get speakers (Legacy Whisper XDS, Marquis Center, and Surrounds). My initial choice to use headphones was practical (rented a home with others; much cheaper), and my choice to switch was practical as well (Was really tired of having a "stereo headphones" for serious music listening and "cheap surround speakers" for movies/surround music).

Despite my change, you'll never hear me badmouthing headphones. In fact, despite my new-found love for speakers, I still think that there are many, many respects in which headphones are superior. First, as the OP mentioned, there's no "room" interference, so what you're hearing is solely the driver (and housing). Secondly, because they're so close to the ear they're usually very easy to amp, which makes using tubes and tuberolling quite easy and appealing to get the sound you want. Thirdly, the sound quality of headphones at their pricepoint usually far exceeds speakers at the same price-point and allows you to invest in other components more like sources and amps. Fourthly, there's an intimate presentation that just can't be replicated with speakers. Headphones single-handedly made me fall in love with great vocalists and chamber music; Bjork's song "Headphones" (perhaps predictably) just isn't the same with speakers; nor is the velvety "in-your-ear" smoothness of Jane Monheit.

The only real "deficiencies" with headphones is their inability to conjure the full grandeur of a symphony, the inability to replicate similarly large soundstages, and a lack of subwoofer bass. The trade-off, though, is that you tend to pick up on far more details than you do with speakers.