New Walkman is coming and its inexpensive....

RDavidson

Re: New Walkman is coming and its inexpensive....
« Reply #40 on: 5 Dec 2014, 02:37 am »
Yes, it's the most attractive device of its kind I've found so far.

Sony, I've noticed, have a tendency to provide the least ins and outs necessary to sell the product, then after you've bought it and become more familiar with your needs you find
1. It won't do certain things you find you need to be able to do, or
2. You need a special cable for that, and you have to buy that at an inflated price from Sony, as it is a unique Sony-specific design configuration. They even tried that with their power supplies, in the form of requiring a negative center conductor, when pretty much all the rest of the world had adopted + center as a de facto standard. They also went so far as to employ their own proprietary memory sticks in place of the standard types, until pressured by consumer resistance, presumably, into conforming with the rest of the civilized world.

Yeah, Sony is horrible about having proprietary accessories. I don't understand why they always went (or perhaps continue to go) against the grain. I understand they're trying to be like Apple in a sense, but the HUGE problem with that is that Apple exists within their own area of the market that they control. They have their own computers, operating systems, programs, etc. etc. Sony exists along side EVERYONE else and has MUCH less control over the standardization of things and what people adopt. Do they not know by now that people find their proprietary stuff to be really inconvenient, annoying, and stupid? I guess it's worth pissing off consumers, just to make a few extra bucks on a flippin' wall wart. Rant done. :evil:

Now back to looking at the Fiio. :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #41 on: 5 Dec 2014, 09:55 am »
OK, it turns out the FiiO X5 has a new little brother. The FiiO X1 is the cheapest hi res player around at $99, but lacks DSD, DAC and digital out. Plays up to 24/192, though.
http://headfonics.com/2014/10/the-x1-dap-by-fiio/

Could make a nice Christmas present and spawn a new audiophile...

Guy 13

« Reply #42 on: 5 Dec 2014, 10:36 am »
OK, it turns out the FiiO X5 has a new little brother. The FiiO X1 is the cheapest hi res player around at $99, but lacks DSD, DAC and digital out. Plays up to 24/192, though.
http://headfonics.com/2014/10/the-x1-dap-by-fiio/

Could make a nice Christmas present and spawn a new audiophile...
Hi Russell,
a question from planet Vietnam.
I went on the FiiO's website to get ans answer to my question,
but I was out of luck or I need a new prescription for my reading
glasses.
How do you download music into the FiiO?
What do you need? A computer, a DAC a optical/coaxial cable ???
At 99USD for the FiiOX1 I might ask Santa for one. :lol:
Thanks.

Guy 13 from planet Vietnam,
yes. Santa does come to Vietnam.

I now have a IPod but I have the way I must down load music.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #43 on: 5 Dec 2014, 01:13 pm »
Do you have the HS6 stacking kit? You'll need that:
http://www.headphone.com/products/fiio-hs6
Quite the bargoon at $11.90!

The bargain turns out to be $17.95 with shipping.  I ended up ordering from Amazon for $16.99 since I have Amazon prime and free shipping.  Plus it has Oyaide Brand Oxygen Free Silver Plated Copper Cable which is different from the copper one I already have from FiiO.  8)

nature boy

« Reply #44 on: 5 Dec 2014, 02:52 pm »
I think I'll stick with my Sansa Fuze (rotary dial) playing FLAC files until they get hi-rez portable right 8)

NB