New Walkman is coming and its inexpensive....

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
New Walkman is coming and its inexpensive....
« on: 10 Sep 2014, 06:45 am »
Thats right Sony has a new hi-res DAP (Walkman) in the pipeline. Its $299 which is an excellent price point I do believe, its got 64GB on-board with a mini SD slot for more. Thats whats amazing they put a card slot in for more storage......and its very stylish.....here is the link hopefully:
http://store.sony.com/64-gb-hi-res-walkman-digital-music-player-zid27-NWZA17SLV/cat-27-catid-collections-ifa;pgid=C3pKg7HKvg1SRppmpXkNPxmH0000CWwVGJJC;sid=OEoOYaIVO1PNYfYayN9pZZIfUl47NsgBDR0Jsxvl?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I had a Sony 8GB DAP a few years back and it sounded excellent in fact I still miss the sound, at $299 with nice specs? This unit could bring Walkman back into the discussions regarding someones next digital audio player!!!!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New Walkman is coming and its inexpensive....
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2014, 07:22 am »
Cool! I'll keep my eyes open for it.
 :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2014, 07:23 am »
Thats right Sony has a new hi-res DAP (Walkman) in the pipeline. Its $299 which is an excellent price point I do believe, its got 64GB on-board with a mini SD slot for more. Thats whats amazing they put a card slot in for more storage......and its very stylish.....here is the link hopefully:
http://store.sony.com/64-gb-hi-res-walkman-digital-music-player-zid27-NWZA17SLV/cat-27-catid-collections-ifa;pgid=C3pKg7HKvg1SRppmpXkNPxmH0000CWwVGJJC;sid=OEoOYaIVO1PNYfYayN9pZZIfUl47NsgBDR0Jsxvl?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I had a Sony 8GB DAP a few years back and it sounded excellent in fact I still miss the sound, at $299 with nice specs? This unit could bring Walkman back into the discussions regarding someones next digital audio player!!!!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Hi eclein.
I wonder if to download music into the Sony Walkman you have to go thru a computer?
I have an iPod and I have to go via my computer to download music into the iPod and I don't like that, I would like to downloasd directly into the iPod.

Guy 13

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2014, 11:01 pm »
No need for iTunes with these,  drag and drop,  it doesn't run android that I see there is a built in tuner but no mention of direct Internet connection. Check the link they added a huge list of specs recently although no mention of DAC chip that I saw in my quick scan.

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:40 pm »
Why does anyone need a portable music player these days when we all (mostly) have smart phones that do the same thing, and some of us have Android devices that do indeed have SD card slots to store gobs of music?

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2014, 02:20 pm »
Why does anyone need a portable music player these days when we all (mostly) have smart phones that do the same thing, and some of us have Android devices that do indeed have SD card slots to store gobs of music?
Hi Bob.
I am the one of those are one that don't have
and don't want to have a SmartPhone
or the same.
This is what I have and happy with it.
Six years with the same battery
and not a single repair
and I paid new only 35 USD.

For music I have an iPod, but would prefer the new Sony only because
it would be easier to download music in it.
Don't want to spoil you post, only share my opinion.
Thanks.

Guy 13

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2014, 04:09 pm »

I tried using my Windows Phone (Lumia 521) as music player, but it wasn't up to the task. Small storage, no slot, loose jack, player software awkward, not enough power for my e530 buds or K701 cans. I got a Sansa Fuze+ 16GB from amazon warehouse for $80. I rockboxed it and I am thrilled with the SQ, output power, rockbox is extremely configurable. All of my previous players needed proprietary software to connect to windows for file management. I avoided that hassle by carrying around tons of mp3s. With Rockbox installed, it mounts as a logical drive so I can drag and drop in Windows explorer. The Sansa really shines with FLACs and I can easily keep the selections fresh. It has SD slot for up to 32GB but I've not yet felt the need for it.

The Sony looks like a nice design, Ed. They are great at creating marketable products. I like the physical nav buttons, the software is probably very intuitive. Hi-res is a nice feature for audiophiles. At $300 I'd be upset to buy another one if got lost or broken, but it's pretty sweet!

Rich

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2014, 07:02 am »
Hi res phones are rare...there is one I know of, LG I believe, I need to walk as often as possible to local spots to keep my legs in shape and fight  peripheral neuropathy which is a major drag and very painful But the biggest reason is Hi Def on dedicated portable players with good in-ear monitors or whatever you like sounds phenomenal!!  8)
 I have had nice phones, HTC One currently but a dedicated hi-res music player you can stick in your pocket and roll around town or wherever...its awesome!!! On a bus while everyone is watching one thing or smelling another I'm in a concert hall and a really nice one!!
Cleaning the house, or yard work if you still like that, music as your life soundtrack....I really enjoy that myself.
 Its a very neat experience have you tried it BobM???

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:32 am »
I'm on the internet enough at home without it following me wherever I go. Don't want to have a "smartphone."

(The reason they call it a smartphone was because the dude was smart whoever got the idea that people would pay $60/70 and a hell of a lot more per month to be connected 24/7. They're reaping in the profits!)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2014, 10:38 am »
I'm on the internet enough at home without it following me wherever I go. Don't want to have a "smartphone."

(The reason they call it a smartphone was because the dude was smart whoever got the idea that people would pay $60/70 and a hell of a lot more per month to be connected 24/7. They're reaping in the profits!)

I pay $44 per month for a couple of generations old Galaxy that I bought outright at Wal-Mart.  Stop by either the Wal-Mart or T mobile store for some common sense smart phone plans.  The days of the rip off plans some carriers are still running are numbered.  I think some other carriers have adopted this approach, but haven't shopped them lately so others would have to kick in here.  Just get a no contract plan where you buy the phone outright, not one with the price of the phone included in the plan.  And buy a smart phone a couple of generations older than the latest and greatest.  They have just about all the features of the newest ones.  Sorry for the hijack, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2014, 11:35 am »
I pay $44 per month for a couple of generations old Galaxy that I bought outright at Wal-Mart.  Stop by either the Wal-Mart or T mobile store for some common sense smart phone plans.  The days of the rip off plans some carriers are still running are numbered.  I think some other carriers have adopted this approach, but haven't shopped them lately so others would have to kick in here.  Just get a no contract plan where you buy the phone outright, not one with the price of the phone included in the plan.  And buy a smart phone a couple of generations older than the latest and greatest.  They have just about all the features of the newest ones.  Sorry for the hijack, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Trying to feed my addiction, are you???  :lol:

toocool4

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2014, 01:16 pm »

Because phones are just that phones and some people want better quality than that.

I would never dream of putting music on my phone.

This is my portable setup.

themadmilkman

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2014, 03:30 pm »
That seems like a pretty good little player, and I like that it's from an established brand where returns/exchanges would be easy to handle.

I hope it ends up available in the big-box retailers.  I'd like to toy with the interface.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2014, 06:27 pm »
If it can digitally output to an external DAC, I'll happily get one of these.
I don't want to use my phone in my audio system, nor do I want to get into setting up a computer in my system. I have everything necessary to play hi-res except a dedicated hi-res transport. I know they exist now, but they are expensive for what they are. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this little Sony will end my wait.

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2014, 06:44 pm »

This is my portable setup.

Still listening to cassettes???  :lol:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:02 pm »
Cool. Analog has gained some cachet by now.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 12 Sep 2014, 09:57 pm »
Sony has a new hi-res DAP (Walkman) in the pipeline.... its got 64GB on-board with a mini SD slot for more.

Thanks for the alert. I've told a friend in the recording business and we're both potential buyers. 24/192 capability is the key spec for us. The microSD card slot is very nice, too, and when Sony put their mind to it they can make very good sounding DA converters and analog circuits, too, and it looks like they are trying with this device.

I wonder if Neil Young's Pono created the incentive for this...I have to say I much prefer this form factor to that of the Pono.

toocool4

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2014, 12:37 am »
Still listening to cassettes???  :lol:

If any portable digital player sounds as good as this setup or my Sony D6C setup, I would get one.

I have tried the Astell & Kern AK240 & also Calyx M players, guess what I would not swap my Sony D6C setup for them.

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2014, 03:54 am »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2014, 05:05 am »
The Sony uses micro SDs, not mini SDs, BTW. That 512 GB Sandisk is an SD card, isn't it - not miniSD, let alone microSD?