Mad Dog Fostex Ortho-dynamic planar headphone

Guy 13

Re: Mad Dog Fostex Ortho-dynamic planar headphone
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2013, 08:53 am »
Don't know if this has be posted yet, but Srajan Ebaen has a 6 moons May 2013 review of the Mad Dog Fostex T50RP's. Let's just say that he is impressed:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/maddog/1.html

The more I research cans in my budget, the more these are moving up "with a bullet" to the top.
Hi brother love and all Audio Circle members.
Review by 6 moons is good.
The price is good,
but I still want the HD650 because of the velvet ear pads.
Much more confortable.
My choice.

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2013, 11:40 am »
I've been bouncing back and forth about getting a pair of these MadDogs, or a pair of HD650...  other than one closed (or semi open) and one open, can any of you guys comment or compare the two?

Senn 650 has a 'warmer' overall signature would be the way I would sum it up. Sennheiser easilly spanks the Fostex on comfort. As I mentioned earlier the Mad Dog (with those big spft 'pleather' earpads) started feeling very clammy very quickly for me. If a headphone doesn't pass the comfort test, I don't care much how it sounds, although the MD did sound very smooth and detailed during my brief audition. YMMV on the comfort piece. Many people I have seen pull the Senns down on their head too tight which undermines the comfort. Extend the earcup sliders so the headband just touches the top of the head and they are very comfortable.

For someone who doesn't like that 'warmer' signature, the very similar 600 has a rep for being perhaps a bit more strictly 'neutral' if a little less extended in the bass. It's also 100 smackers less.

As an aside I heard that "Mad Dog" is introducing the world's first 3D-printed headphone.

Rocket

« Reply #22 on: 17 Dec 2014, 04:44 am »
Hi Guys,

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.  I just bought a pair of Mr Speakers Mad Dog's for Xmas.  They should arrive in a couple of days time just for Xmas.  I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and have ordered XLR cables for them to use solely with my Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier.  The Mad dog's will be used with my JDS labs objective 2 and C5D.

I hope they sound as good as some of the reviews indicated.

Cheers Rod

Guy 13

« Reply #23 on: 17 Dec 2014, 05:08 am »
Hi Guys,

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.  I just bought a pair of Mr Speakers Mad Dog's for Xmas.  They should arrive in a couple of days time just for Xmas.  I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's and have ordered XLR cables for them to use solely with my Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier.  The Mad dog's will be used with my JDS labs objective 2 and C5D.

I hope they sound as good as some of the reviews indicated.

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod.
resurrecting an old thread is not a problem,
but to resurrection an old dinosaur is something else. :lol:
I hope it will not take more than a year to read your review of your purchase. :lol:

Guy 13

Rocket

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2014, 06:39 am »
Hi Guy,

I'm no good at reviews.  I can tell though whether or not a product has the type of sound I like and if it is good value.  I'll give my feedback on this basis.  I'm not listening that much to my system these days as I seem to prefer my headphones. 

Cheers Rod

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2014, 07:30 am »
Hi Guy,

I'm no good at reviews.  I can tell though whether or not a product has the type of sound I like and if it is good value.  I'll give my feedback on this basis.  I'm not listening that much to my system these days as I seem to prefer my headphones. 

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod.
Whatever you can tell us, we will read with interest.
Thanks.

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.
By the way, me it's the opposite of you,
I listen more to my system
and very little to my headphones (HD650)
as I find my system more enjoyable to listen
and much more to my liking sound wise.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2014, 07:59 am »
Howdy!

I also own a pair of HD650s. Generally, I'd say I like their SQ, but I've begun noticing ear discomfort after wearing them for more than an hour. Is there a way to make the pads softer, or whatever?

I'm not ready to replace them yet, so I'm hopeful I can do something about their fit.

Thanks!

Michael

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 17 Dec 2014, 08:07 am »
Howdy!

I also own a pair of HD650s. Generally, I'd say I like their SQ, but I've begun noticing ear discomfort after wearing them for more than an hour. Is there a way to make the pads softer, or whatever?

I'm not ready to replace them yet, so I'm hopeful I can do something about their fit.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael,
I never had the problem you mentioned,
maybe it's because I like headphones that fit snugly, tight,
on my noggin and around my ears,
well I guess we are not all the same
or don't have the same criteria when it comes to comfort.
I am not sure if the following solution make sense to you,
but here I go anyway:
How about throwing your HD650 under a 40 ton truck,
that should soften the ear pad. Oups... Sorry. :duh: :scratch: :lol:

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam.

Rocket

« Reply #28 on: 17 Dec 2014, 09:03 am »
Hi Michael,

Have you tried adjusting the head strap, perhaps, that might make a bit of difference for you.  Just received my XLR cable for my Sennheiser HD650's and used them on the Red Wine Audio Isabella headphone stage of the preamplifier.  It sounds awesome and much more refined than my little portable rig (iMod and JDS Labs Objective 2).  I'm mainly using my headphones because the damn music I like sounds poor on my system and whilst I enjoy the higher fidelity on my hifi system I'm not listening to type of music I like best.

At some stage I'll get XLR cable for the Mad Dogs and give them a try on my preamplifier.  With a bit of luck they will be here by Friday as they ship from Melbourne and I live in Perth (2000 miles west).  Btw Addicted to Audio (in Melbourne) have a sale on Sennheiser HD700's for $598AU which equates to about $500US which is about the best price on the net I've seen.  I decided to go for the Mad Dogs as I was intrigued by how they were developed and improved by Mr Speakers and the reviews are very good as well.

These will be used in my portable rig for the moment.

Cheers Rod

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #29 on: 17 Dec 2014, 08:34 pm »
Rocket,

I've only occasionally thought about changing out the headphone cables to improve their sound, but using XLR had never entered my mind. Hmm. My DAC has XLR output. I'll look into this possibility. Thanks!  :thumb:

Guy,

Does this mean I can't run them over with my Tacoma Prerunner?  :icon_twisted: I can see you have too much time on your hands again. Perhaps you ought to spend more time at those language clubs. Just keep your hands off those pretty little 20-somethings.  :nono:

Rocket

« Reply #30 on: 18 Dec 2014, 03:27 am »
Hi Michael,

The only reason I purchased an XLR headphone cable for the Sennheiser HD650's is the output was XLR and I decided I wanted to use the headphone amp from the Isabella preamplifier.  I was very happy with the sound using the XLR headphone output.  I had a listen to an INXS album (purchased new a couple of weeks ago) using my system and it sounded a bit harsh and lacking dynamics.  My 1987 original album INXS "kick" sounded much better.

Using the Sennheiser HD650's with vinyl made the album sound very good.  I've definitely gone too far looking for perfect sound with my hifi system.

Cheers Rod

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2014, 03:34 am »
As an Alpha Dog owner you're in for a real treat with your Mad Dog's. 

Here are my headphone setups that I recently brought to a meet. 

The first setup is:
AURALiC ARIES (USB HD) > AURALiC Vega > AURALiC Taurus MKII > Alpha Dog

Second Setup:
MBAir (JRiver) from 2TB External HD > AURALiC Gemini 2000 > Alpha Dog

All electronics were plugged into an P.I. Audio UberBuss

Rocket

« Reply #32 on: 19 Dec 2014, 12:52 am »
Hi Jwtrace,

One of the reasons I bought a pair of Mad Dog headphones is because at some stage I can upgrade them to Alpha Dogs if I want to.  Whilst I've been happy with the Sennheiser HD650's I'm going to use them my Isabella preamplifier as it is now XLR terminated.  I wanted to experience a different product and decided to take a chance and purchase the Mad Dog's.  They are scheduled to be delivered today and I'll let you know my initial impressions of them.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2014, 04:43 am »
Hi Guys,

The Mad Dogs have arrived and first impressions are positive.  I'm just using my iBasso DX50 and JDS Labs Objective 2 with the Mad Dogs.  I wouldn't say they are better than my Sennheiser HD650's just sound a bit different.  I can't test them on preamplifier as they are XLR outputs but I do know that my HD650's responded really positively when I used the Red Wine Audio Isabella with them. 

Cheers Rod

Btw the leather has a strong smell and I hope it reduces over time.

Rocket

« Reply #34 on: 23 Dec 2014, 12:35 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just a further follow up.  I'm really enjoying these headphones and whilst they have a bit of a different sonic signature to the Sennheiser HD650's they are quite comparable. I had read some pretty good reviews but I didn't honestly think they would sound this good imo.  I had read some comments about the lack of bass from some members of head fi but I personally think it is pretty good.

I keep going from the HD650's to the Mad Dogs and they equally sound very good. 

This is my first pair of closed headphones and I do hear the benefits as I think it sound a like a more interment listening experience.

Cheers Rod

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 23 Dec 2014, 01:07 pm »
Glad you like them.  The difference from the Mad Dog to the Alpha is big so you always have that upgrade path.   :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #36 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:49 pm »
Hi,

Yes that was one of the things that I looked at when I decided to purchase these headphones.  I think at some stage I'll upgrade them to Alpha Dogs.

Cheers Rod