• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Comparing Maraschino to nCore
« on: 13 May 2014, 02:42 pm »
Perhaps a few threads to gauge interest first:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125913.msg1328388#msg1328388
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124569.msg1313605#msg1313605

A comparison of sonics by someone who has heard both would be great!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Comparing Maraschino to nCore
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2014, 12:28 am »
Finally!  A comment about Maraschino versus nCore, kind of....

"Never heard a digital amp I liked (even the vaunted nCore's sound sterile to me).  But this room sounded awesome.  Kudos on a great job."

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129172.msg1369369#msg1369369

cab

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2014, 12:51 am »
since the goal of the ncore designer was to create an amp without a sound, perhaps sterile should be taken as a compliment...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2014, 02:11 am »
nCore - the audio equivalent of bleach.  I'm not sure anyone should take that as a compliment.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:19 pm »

cab

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2015, 09:24 pm »
Interesting thread, mentions nCore here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=131727.msg1394205#msg1394205

haha, yeah....it "sounds terrible" :lol:

It sound so terrible that they can barely keep them in stock...

To each his own....

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2015, 04:40 pm »
Here's your chance to pick up a pair of Maraschinos, OR our new stereo MINT Maraschino....
http://kck.st/1EKKHSt

Lots of audio goodies available, and amazing deals, including 60V upgrades!

Seth of Virtue Audio is a Maraschino owner and is helping out by offering Virtue Nirvana interconnects free with amp purchases through the MINT Kickstarter:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=133641.msg1418884#msg1418884

Hurry, offers end Sunday 1PM EDT.

Thanks!   (:

-Tommy O

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2015, 04:50 pm »
Since NC-400 modules are DIY, and Maraschinos are a commercial product, this is kind of apples to oranges: the Ncores will sound different in different builds.
I have a NC-400 SMPS 600 amplifier which I love the sound of, but it did take a little work to get it to where it is now.

Amp Designer: if you would like to lend some Cherries I would be happy to do a comparison and post my thoughts here, I used to do listen testing as part of my job at PS Audio, so I am familiar with how to do it and be relatively objective.

System details: DIY BIIIse DAC, direct to NC-400 stereo amp build, to Focus Audio Signature FS-888 loudspeakers.

Send a PM if you are up for a detailed comparison.  I am always interested in hearing new stuff.

jonbee

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2015, 08:18 pm »
I have a NC-400 SMPS 600 amplifier which I love the sound of, but it did take a little work to get it to where it is now.
My experience, too. I like it in the original "standard" config, which replaced a good sounding but slightly veiled (in comparison) Cullen modded PS Audio GCC-250 IcePower amp (now doing duty in my office), but I did feel it was a bit forward and hi-fi-ish compared to the best I've heard. Replacing the Hypex issued input and power input cables and going with the Ric Schultz modded Wima caps did wonders for it. More relaxed, open and natural. I'm very pleased with its' non-sound.
Comparing an optimized NC-400 to the Cherries would be interesting, although I suspect they may well be in the same league, with different flavors. How one adds or subtracts for the value of the "fun" of DIY is a personal matter, of course.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2015, 03:22 am »
Since NC-400 modules are DIY, and Maraschinos are a commercial product, this is kind of apples to oranges: the Ncores will sound different in different builds.

Amp Designer: if you would like to lend some Cherries I would be happy to do a comparison and post my thoughts here, I used to do listen testing as part of my job at PS Audio, so I am familiar with how to do it and be relatively objective.

System details: DIY BIIIse DAC, direct to NC-400 stereo amp build, to Focus Audio Signature FS-888 loudspeakers.

Send a PM if you are up for a detailed comparison.  I am always interested in hearing new stuff.
Last year, I had the pleasure of listening to Maraschino Cherry prototypes (48V version) versus Merrill VERITAS Monoblocks (based on nc1200).  It was pretty unfair since the Merrill Audio amps are $12,000 a pair and power output is rated at about 4x the 48V Maraschinos.  However, the Maraschinos really "showed up" for this comparison.  I thought they sounded quite similar, actually.  Keep in mind that the KING 60V Maraschino sounds that much better, and ups the power to about double.  An nc400 would be more a matched comparison as far as available power output.

We would like to have a professional reviewer do similar comparisons with our KING 60V version.  So far, only the 48V version of the Maraschino has been professionally reviewed.  We take customer feedback with just as much weight, however, and they have been very positive about the Maraschino driven with either voltage.

How about taking the plunge and picking up a MINT Maraschino?  It's very low cost as far as high-end equipment goes.  We understand not everyone can afford a Corvette, just like not everyone can afford a Cherry Amp, but if you have the means, we high recommend them (:

Thanks for your kind post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:35 pm »
A customer recently said this in an email:
"Your reviews tell me your sound is more natural than the Hypex nCores. That says a lot."

Well, is there anybody out there that is willing to lend me a pair of pre-fab module based amps (using hypex) so I can run tests and put a listening party together?

Thanks.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2015, 03:41 pm »
A customer recently said this in an email:
"Your reviews tell me your sound is more natural than the Hypex nCores. That says a lot."

Well, is there anybody out there that is willing to lend me a pair of pre-fab module based amps (using hypex) so I can run tests and put a listening party together?

Thanks.

AP-2 measurements of the NC-400 modules are posted at the Hypex website: if you want to compare those measurements to that of the Cherry amps, post 'em up!  I think it is only fair that if readers are expected to trust your measurements of your own amps, that they should also be trusting of Hypex's measurements of their amps.

As a manufacturer, if you want someone to make a subjective/listening test comparison of Cherry amps vs. Ncore, I think you are going to have to assume the risk/effort of lending out an amp to an Ncore owner, not the other way around.  For me, my Ncore stereo amp is the amp I use in my system every day, I really do not want to be without it for the few weeks such a trip would require.

sebrof

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2015, 04:02 pm »
As a manufacturer, if you want someone to make a subjective/listening test comparison of Cherry amps vs. Ncore, I think you are going to have to assume the risk/effort of lending out an amp to an Ncore owner, not the other way around. 
A few years ago there were 2 similar speaker designs by 2 manufacturers launching their respective products, and a fair bit of buzz on the various forums as to which was better. But nobody had a pair of both to compare so it was all speculation.

I had a pair of one of the speakers and posted how I liked them. I was contacted by the manufacturer of the other speaker who had been reading the various threads. He offered to ship me his product, he would pay shipping, and all he asked was for me to listen and compare and to post my impressions in one specific thread. When I was done he would pay for return shipping. Never took my credit card, etc.

Obviously he was supremely confident in his product. It turns out for good reason.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2015, 05:58 pm »
AP-2 measurements of the NC-400 modules are posted at the Hypex website: if you want to compare those measurements to that of the Cherry amps, post 'em up!  I think it is only fair that if readers are expected to trust your measurements of your own amps, that they should also be trusting of Hypex's measurements of their amps.

As a manufacturer, if you want someone to make a subjective/listening test comparison of Cherry amps vs. Ncore, I think you are going to have to assume the risk/effort of lending out an amp to an Ncore owner, not the other way around.  For me, my Ncore stereo amp is the amp I use in my system every day, I really do not want to be without it for the few weeks such a trip would require.

Tommy,
I think Barrows is the perfect person to send your amp to, I have read many posts by him and he always seems very fair in his assessment of gear and very clear of his findings and opinions. I believe you would be doing yourself a big favor if you really believe everything you are saying about your product.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2015, 06:33 pm »

Exactly my point about measurements.  I want to do them on MY equipment.  We both have excellent specifications, there's no doubt there.  Listening is the real target.  The fact that people are saying Maraschino sounds "more natural" than ncore leads me to believe that the tweaking we do AFTER achieving the "amazing specs" (the same tweaking that shaves a bit off the measurements) is worth the additional effort.  Our customers don't want to be without their amps either!  I guess we're looking for someone who has lots of amps around.  Thanks for your post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2015, 06:51 pm »

Tommy,
I think Barrows is the perfect person to send your amp to, I have read many posts by him and he always seems very fair in his assessment of gear and very clear of his findings and opinions. I believe you would be doing yourself a big favor if you really believe everything you are saying about your product.
Thanks, but I think we might have a professional reviewer take a crack at this first.  I'll keep you posted on that effort.

Our 60V KING Maraschino and In-Line (hanging) Maraschino models haven't been professionally reviewed yet, either, so this is the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, or maybe three!

Still, if someone local (?) has ncore, I would consider visiting.  Unfortunately, we are running low on demo hardware at the moment.

There will be at least one pair of KING Maraschinos at the Lone Star Audio Fest, by the way.  It would be a shock if there weren't any module amps available for comparison, and tons of golden ears on hand to do the listening.  Plus, after listening, you can go out and have an amazing rib-eye steak.  An old friend of mine used to compare amplifiers to steak.  He said "just the right amount of salt, and it might be the best thing you ever tasted, but the wrong amount of salt can make it just so-so.".

Occam

« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:00 pm »
Tommy - If Brooklyn isn't too far afield, you're welcome to bring some Maraschinos over for a listen and compare to my own N400s . My implementation is rather nice, if I do say so myself. I could also invite some reviewers over if you're interested.  My system is listed in 'systems' below my avatar. FWIW

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:04 pm »

Further, "mgalusha" has confirmed the Hypex measurements  with his dScope. They're real. Perhaps you should send your (Marashino) to him. At least then it's an unbiased party. At the end of the day though, you seem to care more about Ncore so maybe you should just buy them.  :P

a.wayne

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2015, 07:25 pm »

+10