One of the best album covers

klaus@odyssey

One of the best album covers
« on: 5 Sep 2015, 07:11 am »
Just admired this cover for hours !!!(ok, maybe less)
Had the album as a kid,  now I have it back, and memories come screaming back...... and love the artwork...love it love it love it...pics don't do justice

Wayner

Re: One of the best album covers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2015, 09:33 am »
I happened to be in the studio when one of their LPs was being recorded......

Just don't remember which one. I believe that Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary was the producer of one of the LPs.

Wayner

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2015, 11:33 am »
Just admired this cover for hours !!!(ok, maybe less)
Had the album as a kid,  now I have it back, and memories come screaming back...... and love the artwork...love it love it love it...pics don't do justice

You're beginning to scare me ... a little.

cementhead

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2015, 08:00 pm »
One of my favorite bands. Just had No mean city cranking last night! :P

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2015, 08:12 pm »
I love album art that just *grabs* me. This one never fails:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2015, 12:38 am »
I never heard the music but always like this one (and it gives you a clue that I'm over 39 :lol:)

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:11 am »
Boy oh boy...Phil,  figuring how old the album is,  I guess as a younger teenager it was a tie between this cover and the Sears catalog for smacking off ?????

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:21 am »
Boy oh boy...Phil,  figuring how old the album is,  I guess as a younger teenager it was a tie between this cover and the Sears catalog for smacking off ?????

It isn't quite as old as The Gutenberg Press but I can't tell you why that album cover always stuck in my head but I remember it in stores.  Per Google, it was released in October 1969.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:27 am »
Probably the biggest thing I miss about record albums (and it has been about 32-33 years since I last owned a turntable with multiple cartridges, stylus microscope, stylus gauge, cleaner, silver headshell wires, record cleaners, etc., and I never thought I would give them up or physical media - played many of them in my young days on horrible equipment and probably only had about 40 pristine audiophile recordings when I finally gave it up) are the covers.  There was just something nice about holding the cover.  I remember the 3D cover the Stones' Satanic Majesties Request or the red felt on the Bee Gees Odessa and the MoFi UHQRs.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:29 am »
I always loved this cover

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:34 am »
Hey Pumpkin...great to hear from you again...and yes, Pearl;s before Swine is one of my favorites...of course, as covers are concerned, not a huge fan of Hyronimus Bosch...

Phil....absolutely correct...for most of us vinyl heads, holding the covers is a biggie....and for me it is awesome art.....anybody who is interested...go to 1/2 price books, and many times they have LP cover art books over there, bought 9 so far.  And one of my walls of my listening rooms has all of the LP frames I can fit....37  of them, showing off my idea of art.......(and yup, LP covers are wayyy nicer than Sears catalog's,  heheheheheheeee)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:42 am »
I always liked these two:

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:55 am »
Hey Pumpkin...great to hear from you again...and yes, Pearl;s before Swine is one of my favorites...of course, as covers are concerned, not a huge fan of Hyronimus Bosch...

Phil....absolutely correct...for most of us vinyl heads, holding the covers is a biggie....and for me it is awesome art.....anybody who is interested...go to 1/2 price books, and many times they have LP cover art books over there, bought 9 so far.  And one of my walls of my listening rooms has all of the LP frames I can fit....37  of them, showing off my idea of art.......(and yup, LP covers are wayyy nicer than Sears catalog's,  heheheheheheeee)

Come on Klaus it's a pretty cool cover

The Garden of Earthly Delights is the modern title given to a triptych painted by the Early Netherlander master Hieronymus Bosch. It has been housed in the Museo del Prado in Madrid since 1939. Dating from between 1490 and 1510, when Bosch was between about 40 and 60 years old, it is his best-known and most ambitious complete work.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2015, 05:11 pm »
scorpions, virgin killer, was crazy as hell when it came out! have th original Japanese vinyl version, and the Japan cd version.

always liked the band " Angel" their logo spelled their band name upright or upside down, great stuff.

Venom's welcome to hell as well, plain, but in 1980 when disco was still in full swing, and music was pretty much still friendly, along comes the mighty Venom with Welcome to Hell, and completely changed the world with their style, and unproduced magic sound ! Hail The Legions !

i miss album art, with cd/s one really can't sit back and study the atet these days, too small to see all intended art.
i try to hget the m usic on LP if possible, but with prices hitting 30-40 dollars for a new release on record, and the cd is only 8-10 dollars, its a no brainer. sorry LP, your way too expensive. loved the Kreator Pleasure to Kill LP cover, way bad ass !

Woodsea

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2015, 05:34 pm »
I was thinking of the Scorpions album as well...Almost all the Iron Maiden covers were awesome.  My parents had this album in their collection when I was growing up.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2015, 05:56 pm »
Ella Fitzgerald sings the George and Ira Gershwin Songbook.
5 albums each with a drawing by Bernard Buffet.

Each is striking in its own way.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2015, 08:55 pm »
And then there's this, Wyatt's Ruth is Stranger Than Fiction ... and she is.

(SClark: My Ella /Gershwin covers are later and different ... Never saw those before ... They're great!)

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2015, 08:57 pm »
Oops, that should have been Ruth is Stranger Than Richard ... not fiction, though she's probably stranger than fiction as well.

mikeeastman

« Reply #18 on: 6 Sep 2015, 10:08 pm »
Bob Seger  " Against The Wind"

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 6 Sep 2015, 10:51 pm »
Penguin covers always looks nice to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFlKxfhMYls