RIP Chuck Berry

nature boy

RIP Chuck Berry
« on: 18 Mar 2017, 10:46 pm »
News report that Chuck Berry passed away at age 90.  A rock and roll legend's gone.

NB
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2017, 11:54 pm by nature boy »

PeteG

Re: RIP Chuck Berry
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:34 pm »
Wow, will truly be missed.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:46 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2017, 11:49 pm »
The creator of rock & roll passed away.
RIP

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:00 am »
In the first Back to the Future, Michael J. Fox has entered the talent contest at his parents high school. He is doing Chuck's famous duck walk and playing one of his famous hits.

Backstage, one of the musicians is on the phone: Chuck, this is your cousin Marvin, Marvin Berry. Listen, I think I just found that sound you've been looking for! :thumb:

Just my opinion but here it is:

Chuck Berry, Lil Richard, Fats Domino and Elvis the Pelvis - the heart of early Rock 'n Roll.

I started listening to R 'n R on the radio around 1958 or so. I remember feeling good about liking this music. These guys were defining the music.

Gene

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:17 am »
RIP Chuck Berry.  Certainly one of the leading pioneers of Rock and Roll.

The origins of Rock and Roll is open to debate.  Some credit Ike Turner in 1951, but frankly to me it was barely distinguishable from Blues music of that era. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:22 am »
I just saw this, he was the one who really got me interested in guitars and music as a kid.
He was just a tremendous influence on EVERYBODY.
RIP, Mr. Berry and thank you for the music.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:29 am »
The foundation to The House of Music has just lost a very large chuck of its foundation.
Nothing. Ever. Will repair or replace that chunk.

On a brighter note, Jesus now has a front row seat to the concert.  8)

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:41 am »
THE seminal influence on guitar-driven rock n' roll. (with all due respect, I don't consider what Bill Haley did rock and roll in the modern sense, more a precursor.) And if you have never seen Hail Hail Rock and Roll.... do. Very good docu which includes Chuck tearin' it up on a slow blues. Believe me, even though he wasn't primarily known for it, he could play blues with the best of 'em.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2017, 01:10 am »
Sad news.  He was indeed one the Great ones. Rest In Peace Mr. Berry knowing your music lives on. The heavens will be rockin' a little louder tonight.