Looking for storage solutions for cartridges in headshells

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
Hello all. A while ago I had found some information about containers to safely storing your cartridges that are mounted in headshells. I did a quick search and can't seem to find much info anymore. Can anyone help? Looking for ideas to DIY something, or if someone has opinions or alternatives to something like these that I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-MCC-DJ-Cartridge-Case/dp/B0002E2LWY/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1422212352&sr=1-2&keywords=cartridge+case

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-KCC-4-Cartridge-Silver-KCC4PROSL/dp/B004I4018U/ref=sr_1_10?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1422211187&sr=1-10&keywords=cartridge+case

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Looking for storage solutions for cartridges in headshells
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2015, 07:30 pm »
I would go to an experiencied carpenter and ordered a suited case in soft wood and stuffing in with foam;

nnck

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:47 pm »
I would go to an experiencied carpenter and ordered a suited case in soft wood and stuffing in with foam;

It's a nice idea. However, if the DIY solution is not cheaper than one of the above products, I might just wind up purchasing one of those or somwthing else like it. Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:59 pm »
The alu box will last a century, but seems it small for big shells used hi-end TT.
A no cost solution is a cartoon box you may have on hand.

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2015, 09:39 pm »
Do you need a box? Some Technics tables have a hole in the plinth for the collar end of the headshell to fit (and then stand upright), like on my SL-Q2. It's not just a round hole, but more of a "church-key" kind of hole (room for the pin).

nnck

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2015, 10:32 pm »
Do you need a box? Some Technics tables have a hole in the plinth for the collar end of the headshell to fit (and then stand upright), like on my SL-Q2. It's not just a round hole, but more of a "church-key" kind of hole (room for the pin).

Well a box seems appropriate, but any recommendations are welcome. There is certainly no hole in my plinth for an extra headshell, and I'm not about to drill a hole into it for that purpose.

I thought I saw somewhere a while back where someone took a regular old box (cigar box or some such thing) and built some types of holders with wood or PVC to accommodate something like this.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2015, 11:04 pm »
No, I would not drill a hole in that either, but I was suggesting that you could probably make something. Like get some wood and drill the holes in it and then maybe make a cover for it. A DIY thing. They made lots of small plastic boxes that you  could put the wood base in and use the plastic box to cover things up.

Just thinking out loud here.......

dlaloum

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:19 am »
I managed to find the Ortofon DJ case going for $15 each

http://www.manhattan-proaudio.com/capsulas-y-agujas/portacapsulas/ortofon-cartridge-case

I picked up around 15 of these - and have a range of headshells mounted with cartridges and sorted by brand/genre etc in labelled cases....

The handy cardboard boxes they come in have also proved to be useful for storing various bits and pieces.

I have at times drooled over some of the lovely wooden boxes with acrylic/plexiglass tops - but they usually sell for silly money ($200 for a case holding between 3 and 6 headshells!!)

What I would very much like however is two other economical types of storage cases:

1) a case for my straight arm sony headshell for PSX500/600 (might also fit other straight arm 80's TT's?)
2) a case for p-mount cartridges

Unfortunately - neither of these are mainstream, so there is little chance of latching onto the coat tails of something that is mass produced - and hence cheap! The cases for the DJ market are the ones that are manufactured in large enough numbers to make them economical.

I do have one of the Shure blue plastic cases - this is quite nice, but only caters to somewhat shorter headshells than the Ortofon soft cases - so be warned not all headshell fit into this...
There are two versions of the Shure cases, One with all the HS side by side, and one with two facing in towards the centre from either side - I have the latter configuration, and have not tried the former (it may allow longer headshells, I don't know)

The other thing I like about the Ortofon soft case, is the storage compartment that it also has... a place to keep the backup stylus for some of the cartridges. (or whatever!)

I guess at some point I may have to make something for my other types....

bye for now

David

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:05 pm »
Here is a simple one I made out of oak