lp to cd question

foz1982

• When I listen to PF the neigbors listen to PF
lp to cd question
« on: 25 Jan 2015, 05:57 pm »
Hello everyone, my name is Scott and I have a question about recording lp's to cd. I know this should be in the vinyl section, but I would like opinions from people who have odyssey systems. I am also waiting for a system to be completed soon. Are lp's that much better than cd's in such a system? If so I have a friend who wants to give me his record collection, which is in very good shape but the only catch is I have to somehow get the records onto cd. These recordings do not have to be state of the art but just clean transfers, mostly for use in his car.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: lp to cd question
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2015, 07:11 pm »
There is many CDs better sound than a LP and there is many CDs worse sound than a LP.
The real prob is vinyl are a self consuming media, every time you listen a vinyl it wears out, and still have those annoying noises of friction. Awfull

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2015, 08:21 pm »
I have a friend who transfers some of my albums to his computer and burns me copies for the loan.  Thing is, they sound like HIS front end when I play them back.  You'd think I'd changed cartridges. 

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2015, 09:59 pm »
I have a friend who transfers some of my albums to his computer and burns me copies for the loan.  Thing is, they sound like HIS front end when I play them back.  You'd think I'd changed cartridges.

He has to play them on his front end to do the a-d transfer.What else would you expect? To get the true potential of the LP, you have to have a top notch analogue set-up, and a well cleaned LP. Many of my LP's date back to the 50's, and are not worn out. An ultrasonic RCM is key to quiet surfaces.

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2015, 06:29 am »
a well known audio reviewer was once asked about CD's becoming obsolete. He answered by saying that CD's were already obsolete! Why degrade the music?
gary

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2015, 05:58 pm »
a well known audio reviewer was once asked about CD's becoming obsolete. He answered by saying that CD's were already obsolete! Why degrade the music?
gary
The thrut is it: with the advent of audio forums, the audio review critics and analysts at magazines and websites are obsolete, since all of them are not reliable.

BobC

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2015, 06:14 pm »
Foz,

I'm not into vinyl (although I have fantasies), but I have thought about your problem.

You'll need either a TT with USB out or a TT and phono pre into an ADC: 

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60USB-Automatic-Turntable-USB/dp/B002GYTPB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422295716&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+turntable&pebp=1422295717549&peasin=B002GYTPB8 

http://www.amazon.com/Analog-Digital-Audio-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005F20756/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422295751&sr=1-1&keywords=analog+to+digital+converter&pebp=1422295753076&peasin=B005F20756

I'm not endorsing either of these products, just trying to give you the idea.  Of course you need to pay for quality....meaning you can drop $$$$ of a sota TT rig and top ADC....or you can do it cheap.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Hadro

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2015, 07:32 pm »
To get acceptable quality, I would play the records through a Project phono stage to a computer. (http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-USB-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35467). Or the equivalent Rega: http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-Fono-Mini-Phono-Preamp_2?sc=2&category=35468 .  You can go higher and getter better, but these will do for most people.  IT REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE IF YOU CLEAN THE RECORDS FIRST.  A spin clean does a good job.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2015, 07:42 pm »
OK,  none of you guys have a clue as to what you are talking about....let's get real here:  CD transfers are for car enjoyment...otherwise, why transfer at all...and why the fk do you want to change a perfect medium in the first place ????

Here's the only thing you need:

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2015, 08:58 pm »
OK,  none of you guys have a clue as to what you are talking about....let's get real here:  CD transfers are for car enjoyment...otherwise, why transfer at all...and why the fk do you want to change a perfect medium in the first place ????

B.S.! If transfers are done well with good equipment, they can be superb. While I agree there is good reason to enjoy the LP in it's original form if you have the time and are willing to make the effort, there is much to be said for the convenience factor of digital. Many serious and knowledgeable audiophiles transfer LP's to high-rez digital files for playback from a music server.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:13 pm »
Ahem...sarcasm !!!  Underlined by a picture ....

BobC

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:21 pm »
I got the joke   :lol:

lazydays

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:22 pm »
I've actually seen that turntable in a couple cars! I don't think the LP is the perfect medium for music, but is about as good as we can get these days. A good reel to reel is it for me. No Dolby or DBX, but just pure music. Even a good tape cassette is better than any CD, unless you like compressed music with virtually no depth or timing.

A Nakamichi or Awia tape deck (good ones) will make a CD sound like a Fisher Price toy, and that's with cheap tape. Then you move over to a Technics reel to reel, and the whole ball game changes again. Not much to be gained unless your doing live music, but both systems are better. I have a stack of tapes that were gave to me by a sound engineer (nameless). All were taken right off the mics, and there ain't no CD in that class period!

Nice thing about CD's is that you don't need good speakers with a lot of range. The CD has nothing below 40Hz and is cut off at 16KHz. Ah but I got an SACD player! I do to, and it struggles to get below 30Hz, and is cut off at 20KHz (I think it's actually less). Still sounds better that that silver pie plate. But my CD is clean and quiet, so is 90% of my LP's! But my LP's will often go beyond Klause's speakers (not much, but some deeper bass). Not sure about the upper end, but know the LP will max out most any tweeter. Most won't know it unless they're listening to Frank Glover's "Politico." (By the way Klause's big speakers do that clarinet quite well). Now a CD or SACD will at least do an acoustic jazz trio or even a solo fairly well if the members are standing close together (bumping elbows). But we get into a quintet or a septet, and the world changes right in front of you. The width of the sound stage suddenly compresses, and the upright bass and drums seem like they are up front. All wrong, and instrument placement is extremely critical for listening (learned that from J.J. Johnson at the Chatterbox). Just moving three or four feet makes a world of difference.

Now the good thing about CD's (at my house anyway) is that when I get drunk. I can simply throw in another Miles Davis disc without ever worrying about scratching it. Suppose the samething would be true for folks in Colorado doing a nickel bag of weed. But alas the cassette also does that quite well.
gary

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2015, 10:59 am »

Here's the only thing you need:

This car TT was to be used with the car stoped only.
So it make sense.

Hadro

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2015, 02:18 pm »
Klaus, when you make the Odyssey version of this TT, will it be available in anodized colors or just Khartago black?  The interior color of my next car purchase depends on this.   :D

Arcticdeth

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2015, 07:00 pm »
I have recorded minimum, 70 lp's to nice taiyo yuden cd's
They sound amazing.  Technics sl1200 w ortofon nightclub mkII cart, making sure tonearm height and anti skate are aleays perfect for best sound. I run my tt through a nice yamaha receiver with a good phono section.  From record out rca jacks into a rca splitter which goes into the 3.5mm jack, gets plugged into computer sound card. I use audio lab 3.0 to record into computer. I use the programs capabilities to remove hiss, some pops & crackles. Then i add track markers properly, set my burn speed( 4-8x ). Hit burn. Makes a awesome copy on cd. I then put on my computer for transfer to my ipod. I have my computer freq set at the 96,000 hz or khz which is the highest setting, so many of my recorded lp to cd transfers are amazing. And i take 15 min to clean each record with luke warm water, ivory mild dish soap plus 3-4 drops of dawn dish soap per session. Clean about 10 lp's.  Im happy as hell im doing this. They sound amazing!!!

plaf26

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2015, 08:24 pm »
I enjoy all formats.  They all have their pluses and minuses.  Have also recorded records, especially 78's, to CD's using a Philips CDR600 CD recorder or an iMike ADC to my MAC.  Works fine.  Be advised, however, that recordable CD's aren't as permanent a medium as the commercial metal CD's with their pits and lands.  Recordable CD's use some combination of light/heat and ink, as I recall.  I've had some of these corrupt and become unplayable after only a few years :(.  And we all know how hard drives can crash and burn also.  Don't know about the cloud, but a word to the wise: never throw your original records/tapes/slides/picture albums/home movies away.

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2015, 08:44 pm »
There is many CDs better sound than a LP and there is many CDs worse sound than a LP.
The real prob is vinyl are a self consuming media, every time you listen a vinyl it wears out, and still have those annoying noises of friction. Awfull

Wrong.

hifi12002

« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2015, 01:20 pm »
Scott, I haven't used this software, but saw it demo'd at RMAF a couple of years ago and it looked (and sounded) pretty good.  http://www.channld.com/purevinyl/