A few questions on McIntosh C48 preamp

Huck

A few questions on McIntosh C48 preamp
« on: 25 Jan 2015, 03:47 pm »
 Hi:
      I am seriously looking at the McIntosh C48 preamp,but I have a few questions,one of which I can't seem to find on the Mac pdf owners manual.
 Since I will be using a Copland c.d. player,Oppo blu-ray player,two Nakamichi cassette decks,(playback only) input designtions for the c.d. and blu-ray(DVD) are there,but not sure what inputs to use for the two tape decks,as there are no assigned "tape" inputs....can I use "Tuner and Aux"??
Next question....since I will using all four sources,assuming I can plug in my 2 tape decks....I will be using probably four different EQ settings,maybe more treble for the tape decks and maybe less treble when using the c.d. and blu-ray(sacd).....so can I program this unit to "remember" each different EQ profile for each of the separate inputs,or will I have to manually go in and adjust each EQ setting for whatever input I choose? Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2015, 05:02 pm by Huck »

srb

Re: A few questions on McIntosh C48 preamp
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2015, 05:39 pm »
All High Level RCA inputs have the same sensitivity and impedance and are interchangeable.  Any of the inputs can be redirected to one of the two Balanced inputs (or to one of the 4 Digital inputs), so if you redirect to a Balanced input, the input sensitivity is increased from 450mV to 900mV and the input impedance from 22K ohms to 44K ohms.  The input trim level can be individually set for each input so that all sources have the same volume.

The Equalizer settings are global for all inputs, however each input may be individually set to enable or bypass the equalizer.

I'm a little surprised that a premium preamp with microprocessor controlled display doesn't allow for input renaming.

Steve

Huck

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2015, 11:49 am »
Thanks for the reply,but I am not sure what you mean when you said"The Equalizer settings are global for all inputs"? What does global mean in this case? Thanks,Huck

srb

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2015, 12:47 pm »
Global means that any Equalizer settings that are made apply to all inputs and cannot be individually set differently for each input.  Each input only has the option of whether the Equalizer settings are enabled or bypassed (disabled).

Steve

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2015, 01:02 pm »
Global means that any Equalizer settings that are made apply to all inputs and cannot be individually set differently for each input.  Each input only has the option of whether the Equalizer settings are enabled or bypassed (disabled).

Steve

Thank You! Huck