I fell in love with Maggie's pair

Hiphile

I fell in love with Maggie's pair
« on: 21 Aug 2016, 11:19 pm »
 Magnepan speakers that is. This week I auditioned the .7 at Audiolabs in De Moines and order a pair. My next step is choosing an amplifier so my question for you guys and gals owners of AVA electronics and Magnepan is the following: Synergy 300 with the double die option (can't find that in the new website?) or the FV 400R. My point is that getting the Synergy will allow funding  a "better"? pre-amp, one like Michael's getting perhaps. If I buy the FV 400R I probably get stock with Frank's new T 10 not a bad thing considering the design goals I like his KISS approach on this unit.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: I fell in love with Maggie's pair
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2016, 11:35 pm »
As a Magnepan 1.6 owner, I did not like the R series amps with them but I have friends that own the 1.7's and 3.7's that use the R series amps and they sound great.  The Synergy amps have a warmer and slightly darker midrange than the R series but the R series amps have better detail, bass, air, transparency and sound stage.  I guess I would go for the 400R as you can always upgrade your preamp later as you will want a preamp that will get the most out of the amp and speakers.   Don't forget that your music source will come into play. 

Maggies really respond well to better sounding gear.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2016, 01:27 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

Hiphile

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2016, 01:16 am »
OK Greyhound now you got me a little confused here according with you description "but the Synergy amps have better detail, bass, air, transparency and sound stage" seems that the Synergy will have a better synergy (no pun intended) with my speakers but still you " I guess I would go for the 400R as you can always upgrade your preamp later" Let me explain my bias for an ideal  music system I should had started there, sorry. Looking for a neutral sound but leaning toward a natural presentation, organic if you will without loosing nuance and details present in the recording. Now, the system will be used mainly with analogue gear a SoundWright tube phonostage ( 7 tubes) a tube preamp that I still have to decide on ( more tubes). I really don't want a syrupy, highly euphonic tubey sound thou and I completely agree in your comment on the preamplifier. Don't want to start a Global conflict here but my PERSONAL opinion is  that if the amplifier meets the electric requirements of the speakers the preamp will have a major impact in your system right behind the quality of your source
Thanks

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2016, 01:26 am »
Whoops, I meant the R series, I will correct the post.  I sent you a PM.

Both are excellent sounding amps and sound way different. 

Larry

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2016, 04:18 pm »
Hiphile,
I have 1.7s with an AVA 400R and AVA Fet Valve preamp and it is a match made in heaven. :thumb:

Hiphile

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2016, 01:14 am »
Thanks for the feedback!