Fet Valve compared to Synergy?

tomatchison

Re: Fet Valve compared to Synergy?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2016, 02:09 am »
Based on some of the comments above (about the Synergy amps being warmer or darker than the Fet Valve amps) I was a bit worried about my recent move from a Synergy 240 to an FV 400R.  My speakers are KEF LS-500's and I started buying AVA electronics last spring to try to tame some excessive shrillness that I experienced coming out of my speakers when driven by my previous electronics (NuForce pre and Parasound power).  With a T-10 pre and a Synergy 240 things were sounding much better.   I certainly do not want to move back towards shrill or sharp or edgy.

I am delighted to report that the 400R has done no such thing.  There is "more detail, resolution, air and transparency" ( as reported by I Greyhound Fan above).  But there's nothing shrill or sharp or edgy about it.  To my ears (and, admittedly, using Frank's 'tubiest' preamp with the 'tubiest' tube option - 6GC7's), it just sounds like beautiful music.  Very happy with the change.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Fet Valve compared to Synergy?
« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2016, 03:48 pm »
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 400R.  The R series are excellent amps and I am sure that it pairs well with the T-10.