Silent PCs

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Silent PCs
« on: 2 Aug 2015, 02:45 am »
I'd like recommendations for a computer I can use in the listening area without fan noise. I'd use it for video and music storage and playback as well as general use. It won't be the primary music server, I have a HAP-Z1ES so I am not concerned with optimizing the computer for audio. For video a hdmi output would be necessary. I'd probably want an onboard 500 gig ssd and maybe 4 tb outboard storage, if anyone has recommendations for RAID or backup system I'd like to incorporate that too... currently I'm backing up my music manually on a hdd and it's a pita.

Other use is web surfing, email, office programs, light photo processing. No gaming but if it could run a CAD program like SolidWorks that would be a bonus.

I've seen some pricey custom built options and some inexpensive mini pcs that probably don't have enough capability. I'd like to not spend more than $1k, not sure if this is possible?

this_is_vv

Re: Silent PCs
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:29 am »

Odal3

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:54 am »
I unfortunately don't have a good recommendation for a silent PC (other than going as low-power as you can), but here are some options for back-up system.

For backup/fileserver, have you looked into separate server running for example FreeNAS, NAS4Free or openmediavault? I have started to play around with openmediavault on an old machine and if I like it, I will get a cheap <$500 tower server. The server will then be placed in the basement so fan noise, etc. will be a no-issue and accessed by clients throughout the house. If you have an old computer in storage, pull it out and see if it the software will fit your needs. It's free to play!
http://www.openmediavault.org/

It's often recommended to get a NAS for backup (RAID is not necessarily back-up) and network storage, but note that  Multiple Hard drives can be pricey depending on storage needs.

For Video you can stream to a for example a chromecast or raspberrypi2 running Kodi. Both are silent and cheap. Plex is another good option.

Odal3

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:59 am »

I am using this, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-i7-4500u-home-server-mini-pc-linux-x29-i7-4500u-support-Touchpad/32276591766.html

Added 16gb memory and 128gb ssd and i am more then happy.

V

That one looks pretty interesting! Did you keep linux on it or did you load windows? Does it run hot?

this_is_vv

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2015, 06:08 am »
That one looks pretty interesting! Did you keep linux on it or did you load windows? Does it run hot?

It is barebone box. It neither have linux ram or ssd. I think i got for 280$ shipped to me. I installed 16gb ddr3 dual sided ram, 128gb ssd powered by 5v and HDplex LPS and installed windows 2012 r2 and the sound has been amazing. It runs a little hot but nothing to worry about :) ....

you can check on my thread.

V

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2015, 04:17 pm »
Thanks vv, that's not bad. I found some similar options on ebay... I'd be a little more comfortable ordering from someone in the US and probably paying a little more. There's a few folks buying barebones fanless mini PCs and loading them with RAM, HDDs, etc or building their own. Any comments on these options?:  The first one may not be fanless. The last option can do 4k vid although not sure how much that really matters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331618658330?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141727241102?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311415106503?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've also looked at the Intel NUC but the issues with the mini-HDMI are making me think twice about that option but the higer end built in graphics may be nice... As you can tall from this thread and the last one on HDMI audio extractors I'm not super into computers, I just want them to work and not give me a hard time... and not make noise :)

Amazon also has some similar options and no interest financing which is always welcome.... IDK, maybe I should just go with the Intel brand? edit, looks like the NUCs are not fanless and the more powerful units are pretty noisy...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:05 pm »
Other use is web surfing, email, office programs, light photo processing. No gaming but if it could run a CAD program like SolidWorks that would be a bonus.
You really don't want to use your music pc for anything but audio/video.  CAD is out for sure if you have decent size models and use FEA at all.  I built a dedicated Windows workstation for CAD and it's amazing.  It's easy to source all the parts and assemble.  Fully parametric models with thousands of features is as quick as anything I've used. 

Stay dedicated and do something else for the other stuff.  I'd build one inexpensive unit, CAPS or MS-3 for audio/video and build one workstation for CAD, office, surfing etc.  You will be much better off in the end. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:17 pm »
Another vote for a MS-3 from HAL, I have a MS-2, works great, no fan to create noise.
Scotty

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2015, 05:40 pm »
Thanks jtw and Scotty, one thing is I don't need the PC to be a great music server as I already have a Sony HAP-Z1ES I use to play music. I'll use it more for video than audio, I recently got rid of DirecTV and when I use my laptop for video it sounds like a small jet engine.

So the use will be mainly video + web surfing, office programs and light photo editing while being silent. This seems like what the ASRock Beebox 3000 was made for, I'm leaning that direction... it's not a fast processor but something has to give at the $500 price point.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2015, 07:50 pm »
You could build one too. No shortage of options in fanless. This way you can actually use the most powerful CPU in your budget. $500 is a bit harder, but $1k is super easy to make it under. It's harder to assemble your cables than a PC these days. Form factor is a bigger concern, because maybe you don't want a "tower", but prefer an appliance.

Parts list
CPU
MOBO
CPU Cooler
Case
PSU
HDD
Disc driver (maybe?, can you do USB now?)
OS (Linux? free)

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2015, 04:00 am »
I've built a couple of PCs for my stereo.  I don't really know how to strip an OS of unneeded programming, but a quiet PC is not too hard.  My first used silent fans, the second is fanless.  I did a little reading, here and elsewhere, concentrating on a CPU with low TDP that still would do what I needed - surf the net while playing music - to use some of J River's options.  At one point I built one of the very simple CAPS models, but it locked up whenever I wanted to use the internet while playing music. On my last one, the fanless one,  I looked for several months on ebay and finally snagged a nice CPU that would do what I wanted at low temps - it was from a laptop.  I used an ATX motherboard that also had low temp ratings.  I'm not not gonna mention model numbers because they have all been replaced by better new models. Then I added a HUGE cooling stack and a SOtM USB card from Sonore.  I put it in a big wood box and IT LIVES  Total cost was around $1K.  Next one will be smaller.  My current aim is to come up with a better power supply, perhaps battery.

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2015, 01:50 pm »
If I didn't have HAL units and just wanted a PC I might look at stuff like - https://www.xi3.com/

srb

« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2015, 03:12 pm »
I like the Gigabyte Brix lineup.  They are small fanless* barebone DIY PCs to which you add RAM, SSD/HDD and OS, and they offer more processor choices, features and performance than Intel NUC.

Processors from range Celeron to i7, Intel HD Graphics 5500 or Iris Pro 5200, HDMI and Display Port, WiFi dual-band 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0, 4 x USB 3.0 and can they can accommodate 1 x mSATA SSD and 1 x 2.5" HDD.

Here's one middle of the road i5 model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164026

* apparently only the dual-core Celeron model is fanless

Steve
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2015, 05:06 pm by srb »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2015, 04:26 pm »
srb, I believe that one has a fan... like the Beebox you need the Intel N3000 chip to go fanless, although they do offer a model with that processor that says it "supports fanless operation" but does not say it's actually fanless. It's kind of confusing, but I did read a review complaining the fan noise from the Gigabyte was louder than the Intel.

I'm also contacting the builder of the computer in the 1st link I posted... I don't necessarily need the mini form-factor. If he's set this up fanless it looks like a better value vs the minis/NUCs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331618658330?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:03 pm »
I bought my last personal PC here on a friend's rec.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

Prices are reasonable. Just research the parts you want and have it custom built. Aside from fan noise, get a case that doesn't have a bunch of goofy LED's. They're childish and some can actually can emit an annoying high pitch sound.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:05 pm »
srb, I believe that one has a fan... like the Beebox you need the Intel N3000 chip to go fanless, although they do offer a model with that processor that says it "supports fanless operation" but does not say it's actually fanless. It's kind of confusing, but I did read a review complaining the fan noise from the Gigabyte was louder than the Intel.

Dave, it appears that you are correct.  I had read some release articles that mentioned "fanless", but now talking directly with Gigabyte after your post, I have learned that only the dual-core Celeron model is fanless.

The motherboard is the heart of a computer, and in the past I have been disappointed with the stability of many third tier brand (or no name) motherboards.  ASUS, Gigabtye and Intel are among some of the best stable premium motherboard brands, and for me, the search will continue for a faneless computer with one of those, avoiding the nebulous eBay offerings.

But I guess that until newer lower power consumption processors appear, for now computers with midrange and up performance will require some kind of sealed heatpipe apparatus with side mounted heatsinks or larger enclosures that can accommodate the larger processor-mounted passive heatsinks.

Steve

asliarun

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:46 pm »
This is a good website for new fanless product launches. They also do a good job of calling out when the term "fanless" is misused/abused by vendors.

http://www.fanlesstech.com/

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:50 pm »
Dave, it appears that you are correct.

After the last thread on HDMI I was a little worried!  :wink:

It does appear that I go with the N3000 mini or a custom built option with passive heatsinks for cooling. The N3000 CPU only uses 4 watts, but it's a dual-core 1 GHz model. Honestly, the N3000 mini from ASRock or Gigabyte would probably fulfill my needs but the custom option I linked to seems, like it would be way faster for a similar price, it's just not in mini/NUC form.

Many custom options cost a ton of cash, using a smaller builder like the one I linked to on ebay is taking a chance, but so are people that give my little audio business a chance too. I like to support direct-marketed small businesses if I think they are competent and ebay feedback and buyer protection makes me feel better about it.

I did find a totl custom fanless built by endpcnoise.com that was $4k to build for sale for $2k on WBF forum, if he wants to trade cables maybe I'll get lucky and get a bada$$ unit that can do anything... :)  But right now $2k is too much money when a $500 unit will suffice for my needs.

asliarun, good find, they feature this Shuttle model that is fanless with a more powerful CPU vs the N3000s, but it's expensive!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WFX0UE6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00WFX0UE6&linkCode=as2&tag=fanle0d-20&linkId=Y5HU2H3PCWVJMIEP

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2015, 06:58 pm »
Dave, they're seriously easy to build on your own. Half of the stereos on this forum have more complicated cableing to wire up. You probably know someone's kid that would do it for $50.

I'd do it for a pair of IC's :thumb: (and shipping)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2015, 08:07 pm »
Dave, they're seriously easy to build on your own.
Yep. Very simple really. I can build a full CAD workstation with OS in less than a day. I built my CAPS in a couple of hours.