Bryston power conditioners

Rod_S

Re: Bryston power conditioners
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:59 pm »
This "except when it switches" was a deal breaker for me.  I found it very frustrating to be enjoying my music [at lower volumes] and then having this noise break the mood.  In the end, I just switched to the regular conditioner and have been happy since [well, since my local power company figured out their issues].  Excellent product.

Interesting. Torus must be doing something different than say what Furman is doing with their SPR-20i as that is silent plus it's supposed to be on average +/- 1.0 V between 113 VAC and 126 VAC. So it's a finer adjustment but doesn't cover as large a swing in voltage.

Rod_S

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2015, 08:00 pm »
Nice to see a pic of one of the other units.

You need to get all available models up on your website.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Rod_S

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2015, 04:42 pm »
Hi James

I was curious if you guys ever gave any considering to doing external power supplies for more of your gear like we see from some of the uber high end manufacturers? I know you do offer the MPS-2 for the BP20, BP25, BP26, BP1.5 Phono Stage so it would be that sort of thing, taking the power supply out of the main components chassis for potential reductions in noise contamination internally. For example having a separate external power supply for say the BDP's and BDA's or even the SP3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2015, 05:02 pm »
Hi James

I was curious if you guys ever gave any considering to doing external power supplies for more of your gear like we see from some of the uber high end manufacturers? I know you do offer the MPS-2 for the BP20, BP25, BP26, BP1.5 Phono Stage so it would be that sort of thing, taking the power supply out of the main components chassis for potential reductions in noise contamination internally. For example having a separate external power supply for say the BDP's and BDA's or even the SP3?

Hi

Contrary to popular belief having external power supplies does not necessarily result in a lower noise floor, assuming you design the internal supplies and shielding properly. 

Outboard supplies can provide more flexibility like the MPS-2 or if gigantic physically and you need a separate chassis but it is more a marketing decision rather than a performance issue.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2015, 05:26 pm »
Ah so in a lot of cases it's more of a cool factor than necessity.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jul 2015, 11:21 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BIT – Customer Feedback

July 2015

James,

I hope this finds you well.  I wanted to let you know my impression of the Bryston BIT AVR 20: it is awesome! 

A few comments after listening to the piece for about a week:

1. I really like the new faceplate and am glad you guys added the voltage and amperage display.  I had seen the Torus AVR 20 and liked that feature, but that alone was not enough to dissuade me from wanting a Bryston branded piece.  I like the blank lettering of the “Bryston” name on the faceplate.  It is subtle and suits my taste.  I also like that you used four bolts per side to secure the faceplate rather than the three per side I have seen on the Torus branded AVR 20.

2. I installed the piece immediately upon receiving it and listened to it for a few days before deciding to plug the integrated amp and media player directly into the wall for comparison.  I have a Wattgate audio grade outlet on a dedicated 20amp line.  Prior to running straight from the wall outlet I had been listening to Patricia Barber, Café Blue, “Ode to Billy Joe.”  I immediately noticed how less crisp the sound was, and how the delicate details of her voice were obscured in comparison.  I then put the Panamax back into the system and listened to the same song, but the Panamax was only marginally better than just going straight to the wall.  Then I put the AVR 20 back into the system and the clarity of the system was immediately and readily apparent.  Its effect on the system is actually stunning.

3. I was at the stereo shop Saturday and told the guys that the BIT had arrived and was in the system.  When asked how I liked it, I replied that I had not realized before that the sound of my system was muddy.  It took them a moment to get their brains wrapped around what I had just said, one of them saying that he would never have described my system has sounding “muddy.”  “Muddy” is an overstatement, but compared to the level of clarity that the system has with the AVR 20 it is as good a description as any – and it was the first word that came to mind.

4. The system is not choked at all and the bass may be slightly stronger than before.  In fact, the system’s harmonic balance overall has been improved. As I mentioned, it is an awesome piece and has a permanent home in my system.  Having heard it, there’s no going back. I’ve included some pictures of the BIT in the system.

Thank you again for all of your help with this addition to my system.

Cheers,
John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jul 2015, 03:05 pm »
Hi james

Purchase a BIT AVR 20 through Audio Advisor recently and my comments are below.

By eliminating the ill effect of poor power on system noise and by providing high current reserves the AVR20 is permitting my system to realize its unfettered potential. 

The system was already very good but with the installation of the AVR20 I was astounded to learn how much more it had to offer. The system has previously been described as bringing the musicians into the room.  My first impression, however, at least with the small jazz ensemble music to which I have been listening during the first week of having the AVR20 in the system, is that with the improved clarity, finesse and authority that the system is now exhibiting I do not believe I could hear too much more of what the musicians were doing even if I were standing next to them. 

Having heard the benefits of having the AVR20 in the system there is no going back.  It has a permanent home.

Hope you are having a great weekend,

Cheers

Rod_S

« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2015, 03:05 pm »
There is something I have been curious about for a while and it never seems to get discussed, the new wall mount units. James could you explain how to install and integrate these wall units into ones system? Where would you typically put the unit, what is the wiring involved, is there still an advantage of adding a normal unit in the system once one of these is installed, what type of outlets do they feed, 15A, 20A, twist lock 30, twist lock 50, etc??

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2015, 03:16 pm »
There is something I have been curious about for a while and it never seems to get discussed, the new wall mount units. James could you explain how to install and integrate these wall units into ones system? Where would you typically put the unit, what is the wiring involved, is there still an advantage of adding a normal unit in the system once one of these is installed, what type of outlets do they feed, 15A, 20A, twist lock 30, twist lock 50, etc??

Thanks

Hi

The wall unit typically goes near the Hydro panel and is used to feed a room with a number of dedicated circuits.  So the 100 amp unit for instance would feed five 20 amp circuits in a room. The 60 amp would feed four 15 amp circuits or three 20 amp circuits.

it is 240 volts into the Wall unit and of course 120 amp outputs typically.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #30 on: 1 Aug 2015, 03:46 pm »
Thanks James

So this isn't meant to replace the service panel with the fuses/breakers, it goes between that and the outets in the room. Correct? And since it feeds the entire room it's a simpler approach compared to purchasing multiple standalone BIT's for the room, potentially one for each outlet if gear was say spread throughout the room. Do these units provide everything in the way of surge suppression, conditioning, voltage regulation (if desired), etc. as the standalone BIT's do?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 1 Aug 2015, 04:22 pm »
Thanks James

So this isn't meant to replace the service panel with the fuses/breakers, it goes between that and the outets in the room. Correct? And since it feeds the entire room it's a simpler approach compared to purchasing multiple standalone BIT's for the room, potentially one for each outlet if gear was say spread throughout the room. Do these units provide everything in the way of surge suppression, conditioning, voltage regulation (if desired), etc. as the standalone BIT's do?

Correct and yes you can order them with all the features of the stand alone units.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #32 on: 1 Aug 2015, 04:41 pm »
Thanks again. If the dedicated outlets in the room didn't supply enough outlets for all the gear, in order to get more would getting say the IS BIT's make the most sense because the extra features on the regular units would end up being redundant? Granted the features even on the IS units would be redundant as well but since they are cheaper than the regular units but offer the same number of outlets they seem like the ideal choice in such a scenario.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 1 Aug 2015, 05:02 pm »
Thanks again. If the dedicated outlets in the room didn't supply enough outlets for all the gear, in order to get more would getting say the IS BIT's make the most sense because the extra features on the regular units would end up being redundant? Granted the features even on the IS units would be redundant as well but since they are cheaper than the regular units but offer the same number of outlets they seem like the ideal choice in such a scenario.

Yes that would work.  There is one advantage to the 'IN ROOM' version and that is the 'Output Impedance' of the large transformer is much lower than the impedance seen buy the amplifier when connected to a wall unit - due to the distance away from the transformer.  Low impedance is an asset with big power amps as it can draw current instantaneously from the BIT it is directly connected to.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #34 on: 1 Aug 2015, 07:40 pm »
Thanks

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #35 on: 3 Aug 2015, 03:29 pm »
I see BIT5, BIT15 & BIT20. What are the 'IN ROOM' version and the 'wall unit' ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 3 Aug 2015, 03:44 pm »
I see BIT5, BIT15 & BIT20. What are the 'IN ROOM' version and the 'wall unit' ?

Hi

In Room are all the BITs available

and ON wall are in a metal cabinet at the hydro panel.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #37 on: 3 Aug 2015, 10:43 pm »
Are there no UPS units in the Bryston and Torus lineup? I checked the Torus site and didn't' find any. Seems like a missed market segment for those wishing to protect DVR/PVR hard drives, gaming console hard drives, NAS drives and projector bulbs in the event of power outages.

I see Furman has a couple, the F1000-UPS and F1500-UPS with the F1500 able to expand it's battery capability by daisy chaining multiple external battery units (BATT1500-EXT). This is a very neat concept.

riffer

« Reply #38 on: 11 Aug 2015, 10:28 pm »
How much does the BIT 15 weigh?

Many reviews and online vendors refer to a weight of about 44 lbs, but one of the brochures on the website has 44 lbs or the IS 15 and 76 for the BIT 15.