How did you first find out about ACI

Eric

« on: 20 Aug 2004, 05:41 pm »
I thought it would be fun to hear how you all first heard about ACI. My first exposure was on the old Harmonic Discord forum. I was looking for speakers and someone recommended jags. I saw that a pair of jags was up for auction (the one that helped the 9/11 victims) on Agon. I bid and won.

Mikeyb

« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2004, 06:01 pm »
I believe I first came to know ACI through an online review of the Titan subwoofer.  Some time after that, I kept reading favorable user comments on several forums.  I think it's great Mike D. participates as much as he does.  I have since become a happy ACI owner!

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2004, 06:45 pm »
Mikeyb,

Welcome to the forum and the Audio Circles

Eric

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2004, 09:36 pm »
I had been wondering about the sound of the ACI Jags for years...and then had a chance to hear Eric's system.  I was sold.

Bob  :D

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2004, 10:11 pm »
It might have been a discussion at AVS, but it was not about ACI. Someone mentioned the Sapphire, and I had to search for the site.

After my first look at the Panorama, I kept an eye out for anything ACI for a year before auditioning for myself.

E

eastberlin

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2004, 07:24 pm »
I built a pair of Audio Concepts speakers in 1988.  I think they were called G2 or G3. They were 3 way with a 10" poly woofer.  The kit cost something like $350 and I remember later that year they were being sold fully built in Crutchfield magazine for around $600.  Anyway, in '97 I was trying to find a replacement midrange driver and found ACI online.

durholt

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2004, 03:19 pm »
I had a friend with a pair of your DIY Jaguars. I think he also has a couple of the Titans. When I told him I was putting together a dream HT system  he said to check out ACI (audioc.com). I am glad he did.

thugh

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2004, 09:10 pm »
I have been a long time lurker at SMR Forums for a reference tool for my various Lexicon products over the years.  ACI used to have a forum over there, so when it came time to upgrade, I decided to give ACI a listen since I really respect the guys over there.

Glad I did  :D

kfalls

« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2004, 05:33 pm »
I don't remember how I first found out about ACI.  I know I was looking for a subwoofer and ended up on their web-site.  I had a friend who worked with wood and we were both interested in audio.  He saw a pair of three-ways he was interested in, but didn't have the money for the kit.  I offered to pay the $399 for his kit if he would build me a Saturn subwoofer and a microwave cabinent I needed.  He did a great job and I still have the Saturn in my bedroom home theater system.  Over the years I've had several subs, but none went as low or provided the quality of bass I get from the Saturn.  Many years later I bought a pair of the LV1s and have enjoyed them as well.

Virgil

Re: How did you first find out about ACI
« Reply #9 on: 24 Aug 2004, 07:37 pm »
I can't quite remember the specifics, I think I was originally looking for a kit and ran into a review of ACI.  From there I found some reviews on Sapphires and Jaguars.  I spoke with a friend who had known Mike Dzurko via the net which confirmed any doubts.  I finally broke down and bought a pair of prototype Sapphires that were discounted.  Good move on my part!

Eric

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2004, 07:43 pm »
It is so great to have you guys here on Audio Circles and particularly the ACI forum. Welcome!!!!!

Dave918

« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2004, 09:10 pm »
Had a chance to buy a used mint pair of ACI Emeralds last year. Fantastic little speaker, my bedroom would not be the same without them.

-Dave

Bill-99

« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2004, 09:14 pm »
I first encountered information about ACI Sapphires back in their kit building days. As I recall, it was in a thread posted to Audio Review. More recently, I stumbled on a thread on AVSForum during my latest upgrade cycle. Based on all of the positive feedback, I decided to give them a try, and am I ever glad I did!

bob330i

first contact?
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2004, 10:24 pm »
I think it was through HTF through an Anthem AVM20 thread last year.  A certain EvanS was raving about his Sapphires and Titan sub.   Did a search on ACI and found a nice thread which eventually moved to AVS forum for a bit.  Found my way here through the newsletter.  Checked SMR forums for a while but that forum was removed sometime early this or late last year.  Good to see a more permanent home here.

hectic1

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2004, 05:22 pm »
I found out about ACI when I first got into 2 channel about 3 years ago...I was purely HT before then.

I have heard the Sapphires and Emeralds on a number of different occasions and they are a absolute STEAL on a performance to price ratio!

I have had the pleasure to talk to Mike on a number of occasions and he is very knowledgable and always looking for ways to improve their business for the customer...

I have no problem giving my hard earned $$$ to ACI!!!

Welcome to the forum!  8)

AlexH

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2004, 06:53 pm »
I discovered ACI about twelve years ago, when they sold kits. I built a set of S2R two ways about 10 years ago, I love these speakers. Unfortunately I no long have room for them so they have been in my storage room for about 2 years. Every now and then when I get a urge to here some good jazz I get them out. The imaging is excellent!!! :D

Eric

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2004, 07:46 pm »
AlexH, welcome to  the circles and the forum

jacknife

« Reply #17 on: 7 Sep 2004, 11:23 pm »
I just ran across ACI here at the circle, never heard of them before, haven't been here in awhile.  My interest is sparked with all the praise, especially since they are in my back yard.  I'm about 2 hours from LaCrosse, WI.  I've been thinking about selling my Paradigm studio 40's and might consider ACI.  Does ACI have a demo room in LaCrosse where I could check them out?

bob_m

« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2004, 03:56 am »
ACI,  I guess is must have been in the late 80's on the mother of all audio forums.  The Cserve Audio forum.  There was a guy named Mike running around answering everyone’s questions about speakers.  :) I bet Mike still remembers those days.

Bob

Eric

« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2004, 10:55 am »
bob_m,

welcome to the circles and the forum