Best Sounding Single Drivers

sts9fan

Re: Best Sounding Single Drivers
« Reply #100 on: 9 Dec 2010, 02:07 pm »
Pics!

I will post one later today.

That was fast   

You could say I am on a roll.  I think I need to re-cut the supra-baffle  because I got a bunch of chip out when routing the driver cut out.  I am not sure if I was at too high a speed or what.  Any suggestions here would be great. 

Kris 

More info:  I am using an up spiral bit.  Maybe a down?  masking tape?

chrisby

« Reply #101 on: 9 Dec 2010, 08:00 pm »
I will post one later today.

You could say I am on a roll.  I think I need to re-cut the supra-baffle  because I got a bunch of chip out when routing the driver cut out.  I am not sure if I was at too high a speed or what.  Any suggestions here would be great. 

Kris 

More info:  I am using an up spiral bit.  Maybe a down?  masking tape?

try both (down spiral bit and masking) -  the bit speed is likely less of an issue than the feed rate (another case where I find a slow-hand is better  :roll:) and/or direction - was the chip out across grain only, at corners where it changed from long to cross grain, or any/all?

BTW, regarding the Onken - remind me of which driver you have in mind?

sts9fan

« Reply #102 on: 9 Dec 2010, 08:22 pm »
For the Onken I have Alpair 10s

Honestly right now i do not want to pony up for the new bit.  I know its only $30 but you know.  I am going to try masking and the up bit.  Also I think I am getting your question on the chip out.  I will look at it tonight and see where it came out. 

chrisby

« Reply #103 on: 9 Dec 2010, 09:47 pm »
For the Onken I have Alpair 10s

You might want to contact Dave re plans - I've built versions for all Mark Audio/Alpairs except this one, and haven't even seen the drawings myself ( yet)

Honestly right now i do not want to pony up for the new bit.  I know its only $30 but you know.  I am going to try masking and the up bit.  Also I think I am getting your question on the chip out.  I will look at it tonight and see where it came out.

How will these be finished?  If the chip-out is small enough, there are some very nice latex based color matched fillers  (e.g. Famowood) that might leave an acceptable repair under a clear coat finish - and if not sometimes an alternate color or material on the driver mounting panel can be an "artistic statement"  :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #104 on: 9 Dec 2010, 10:30 pm »
The chipout only seems to be an issue on the cross cut.  I agree that a small fix is no biggie. The question is how many " no biggies" equal a
"biggie". I expect I will do as you say and if it drives me crazy I will paint it in the spring. Like that will ever happen.  :lol:

here is a pic from the dungeon

chrisby

« Reply #105 on: 14 Dec 2010, 06:37 pm »
sts9fan:

nice work - having fun with this DIY thing yet  :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #106 on: 14 Dec 2010, 07:55 pm »
Its ok :roll:

el`Ol

« Reply #107 on: 25 Dec 2010, 07:53 am »
I will try to hear the Ciare HX135, el `Ol.

I have them running in 1m massively damped slim enclosures, ceiling firing. Would need lower placement for ideal treble and need quite close placement to the walls for good bass. But temporarily they will stay that way, they are for my brother in law who temporarily needs a little single accommodation over the week. A more interesting solution for real hifi is probably a pyramid-shaped enclosure of low height which gives good treble and also provides enough floor loading for the bass. Three of those pyramids could be an intersting supplement for your AERs to increase indirect sound. A center pyramid for the L+R signal, a left rear with the L-R signal and a right rear with the R-L signal, all running with about -10dB.

BPoletti

« Reply #108 on: 7 Feb 2011, 02:35 am »
Good information.  But the topic of the thread has not been answered.  Maybe the question needs a tweak.  So let's try this:

What is the best sounding single driver ("fr driver") / enclosure combination? 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #109 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:30 am »
You still aren't going to get an answer that comprises a single driver/box combo.

Room, amp, and more importantly, what trade-offs are the best match to the listner's taste & budget.

dave

rjbond3rd

« Reply #110 on: 7 Feb 2011, 02:22 pm »
Hi BPoletti,

I bet you would get a lot of responses, though, if the question were re-phrased as "best single driver / cab combo(s) that you've ever heard," with the caveat that some combos sound best with certain types of music.

chrisby

« Reply #111 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:11 pm »
Good information.  But the topic of the thread has not been answered.  Maybe the question needs a tweak.  So let's try this:

What is the best sounding single driver ("fr driver") / enclosure combination?

yet another facetious reply, as there would be whether qualified with "single driver"  or not

there is no such thing as "best" -  just the most practical compromise that works for your system at the time

for me that the "best" I can hope for an audio system is for it to get out of its own way - as in not call attention to its weaknesses or strengths, and let me connect emotionally to the performance

of course not all music is worth the effort  :nono:

wushuliu

« Reply #112 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:12 pm »
of course not all music is worth the effort  :nono:

Then the next question has to be: 'what's the best music for the best single driver/enclosure combo?' :o :lol:

chrisby

« Reply #113 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:37 pm »
Then the next question has to be: 'what's the best music for the best single driver/enclosure combo?' :o :lol:

the cast of Glee soundtrack  :wink:

wushuliu

« Reply #114 on: 7 Feb 2011, 08:00 pm »

the cast of Glee soundtrack  :wink:

Oh no. You seem like a reasonable person. I'll pretend you didn't say that. :no_hear:

chrisby

« Reply #115 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:13 pm »
I was feeling a bit puckish, and was also considering "Christina mangling the anthem" - hard to believe the same performer who knocked it out of the park with "It's a Man's World" at the Grammys a few years back, but I digress

Sarah Shahi's home video of  "Twinkle Twinkle, little star" to her baby  - while only an imaginary release, it'd definitely be on my Christmas wishlist

all kidding aside - replies to the "best music" question could run to hundreds of pages, but hopefully without the vitriol that the previous question often invokes

It's greatly a matter of personal taste - for me the quality of the recording can make or break the listenability of the performance. As someone with negative musical talent, I want to connect to the emotional content and thereby feel a small measure of participation - I just make sure the blinds are closed and the room is empty before dancing  :P