Caintuck Open Baffle Loudspeakers

Bruce Schlein

Re: Caintuck Open Baffle Loudspeakers
« Reply #40 on: 16 May 2017, 08:54 pm »
 I just now checked out AC and I have thought about my own musical experiences with various loudspeaker systems. My first really open speaker that I likes was an Acoustat 2+2, which was fun. My second open speaker was a Martin-Logan hybrid, also fun. I later built a Hawthorne Audio open baffle speaker with lots of help from a friend and my musical experience "open up". Speaker that are out in the open, no box are the most spacious and musical I have heard. The best non-boxed speakers i have heard and now own are omnidirectional Morrison Audio Model 29's. These are absolutely the most accurate speakers I have owned both musically, spatially and most important , the most enjoyable.. I currently also own a pair of Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffle speakers which are the most reasonable way to get unreasonably great sound for not too much money. Finally, I put together a little system with 4 inch full range drivers from Madison in a 13 inch panel driven by a small Yamaha integrated receiver with built in CD player that costs less than a fancy table "sound system".

Cheers and have omni and open baffle fun.

Davey

« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2017, 02:37 pm »
Morrison Model 29???
Photo's and description please.  The Morrison website mentions nothing regarding this model.

Dave.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #42 on: 3 Aug 2017, 11:06 pm »
I have been happily enjoying a pair of Randy designed Caintuck Audio Betsy OB speakers for around 6 or 7 months now (I built them from a pattern I got from Randy). Enjoying them immensely with a modified BOYUU A9 Chinese SEP amp. The amp is using Harrison Lab 100 Hz 2nd order high pass in-line filters. The bass is handled by a pair of Hawthorne Audio 15" Augies driven by a Rythmik plate amp crossed at 65 Hz, 2nd order.

These little guys are awesome! I have the Augies on 19" square baffles (temporary until I can build matching oval baffles). The Augies are around a foot or so behind the Betsy's. My room is about 13' x 23', with the speakers about 5' in front of a short wall, and almost 3' from the long side walls. The room has lots of "clutter" to disperse the sound (I live alone so can get away with this).

These little guys do create a very convincing sound-stage. They are smooth and easy to listen to, with a very accurate tonality. I listen to recordings of my folk band through them and they make the instruments sound very real. I don't think I have ever heard my band sound so good through speakers.
Both CD's and LP's, even you-tube videos, sound good through these. I listen mostly to acoustic music, including many small Jazz ensembles from the "Cool" era. Very natural sound, like being right in the room with me.

They do have their limitations, of course, especially with a SE 10 watt amp. Movies don't always do sound effects well at high volume. I can play loud enough for vocals to be loud and clear and usually the sound effects are OK at that level. I had the Betsy's hooked up to a TAD-60 tube amp (PP) for the first three months. This was noticeably better for movie sound effects, even with no high pass filter. The 40 watts of EL34 PP amp could grab the speaker better in the bass and could play louder. However, with the SEP, including the high-pass filter, the sound is very close on Music. This will get even better, I'm sure, when I install new heavy output transformers (Edcore) on the amp in the near future.

Anyway, didn't think I was going to write this much, but I just had to comment on these little wonders. In spite of how they measure, the sound is very natural and enjoyable.

Dave :green: