Quick Subwoofer Story: PSA and Tom V!

ajzepp

Re: Quick Subwoofer Story: PSA and Tom V!
« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2015, 02:43 am »
I probably don't post as often as I should.  At one point years back I was an Admin on a couple of small home theater forums (don't even remember one of them as it was not around that long - like probably 8 months).  I do have multiple home theaters but most often use the main one and the bedroom system.  I'm waiting for the next generation of receivers to upgrade a couple of systems.  Have in-ceiling speakers waiting for Atmos.

Nice, Phil...I'll be really interested to track your progress on Atmos. The only exposure I've had to it is through headphones on my Kindle Fire tablet. I wasn't sure how that would work, but it's actually a really cool effect. It's nothing like what the HT implementation will be like, though, so I'm eager to hear some feedback from those who take the plunge.

stevem1

« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:58 am »
I had SVS subs when Tom V and Ron started SVS many moons ago. I heard he had started PSA a couple of years ago. I sold my PB12 Ultra and now am the proud owner of 2 PSA XS15se's. I just don't understand how this much performance can be had for this amount of $. :scratch:

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2015, 04:51 am »
Nice Steve  :thumb:

ACHiPo

« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2015, 07:08 pm »
Can anyone comment on how the PSAs compare to Rythmiks for 2-channel (well, I guess 2.1) music only?  I'm looking for multiple subs ala Swarm, and was planning on doing 1 10", 2 12" and maybe a 15".  PSA only does the big boys, and I only have room for 1 15" max.  Reviews I've found indicate the Rythmiks are marginally better for music, but I really like the price and rave reviews of PSA.

Thanks,
AC
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2015, 04:37 pm by ACHiPo »

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 26 Apr 2015, 02:14 pm »
If anyone wants a GREAT demo scene for their sub, check out the rock people scenes from "Noah". This film just hit Netflix streaming, and the audio track is pretty solid. I ran the scene where one of the rock people slams his fist into the ground and holy CRAP it blew my mind. I can say with 100% certainty that this PSA S1500 is a better sub than my old SVS PB13...even though the PSA is less expensive. What an absolutely amazing job Tom has done here.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2015, 02:21 pm »
If anyone wants a GREAT demo scene for their sub, check out the rock people scenes from "Noah". This film just hit Netflix streaming, and the audio track is pretty solid. I ran the scene where one of the rock people slams his fist into the ground and holy CRAP it blew my mind. I can say with 100% certainty that this PSA S1500 is a better sub than my old SVS PB13...even though the PSA is less expensive. What an absolutely amazing job Tom has done here.

That's awesome man! Quite the statement there as many hold the SVS PB13 in high regard.

Any comments on how the PSA does with music? Various genre types?

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2015, 04:26 pm »
That's awesome man! Quite the statement there as many hold the SVS PB13 in high regard.

I liked the PB13 a lot, but what Im hearing now is just really really impressive.

I have only listened to some MP3 tracks on Amazon so far, and a couple of youtube vids...once I get my sonos or appleTV fired up on the HT rig, I'll be able to evaluate it more accurately. The music that is on the movies and tv shows is fantastic, though. I don't know if it's because this is my first sealed sub, or if it's the ICE amps, or the driver, or what...all I know is that Tom has put together one incredible subwoofer

ACHiPo

« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2015, 04:38 pm »
Tommy,
That's my question as well (I modified it to be clearer)--I'm interested in how the PSA does on music augmenting full range 2-channel speakers.

Thanks,
AC

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2015, 05:02 pm »

I'll have to try that scene on the main system.  I watched it in the bedroom system last week (via Netflix).  The system has a couple of cheapo subs (one ten inch 100W and one 8 inch 80W) and has some slam but when I end up upgrading receivers and rotating things I may consider a better sub in there at some point.

ajzepp

« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2015, 12:40 am »
I'll have to try that scene on the main system.  I watched it in the bedroom system last week (via Netflix).  The system has a couple of cheapo subs (one ten inch 100W and one 8 inch 80W) and has some slam but when I end up upgrading receivers and rotating things I may consider a better sub in there at some point.

lm not sure how low it goes in that scene, but it must have been hitting below 20hz, cause I could feel it in my boneslk

Phil A

« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2015, 01:06 am »
lm not sure how low it goes in that scene, but it must have been hitting below 20hz, cause I could feel it in my boneslk

In the main system for HT, I'm using a Dayton Audio Titanic Mk. III (basically the same as the Mk. IV - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-t1504a-15-1000-watt-titanic-mk-4-subwoofer-system--300-765) and one of my Rel Storm IIIs on the other side of the room.  I also have a HT Room that is about 11x13 with a Rel Q150 that puts out better bass than the bedroom system.  The bedroom system sports a 92 inch screen though so I use it more often.  My original play was to use the Dayton Audio Titanic Mk. III in the bedroom but it just looked so big in the corner I stuck the 10 inch 100W sub in there and later on added the other sub which helped.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #31 on: 9 May 2015, 02:22 pm »
Any updates on the PSA? Still kicking ass I'm sure... :D

ajzepp

« Reply #32 on: 9 May 2015, 03:23 pm »
Any updates on the PSA? Still kicking ass I'm sure... :D

I love it, man...now that I finally have the full 5.1 rig fired up, it's just fantastic. I can't say enough about the sub, especially...I can't wait to get another one lol

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #33 on: 9 May 2015, 03:29 pm »
I can't wait to get another one lol

That's what I wanted to hear!  :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #34 on: 9 May 2015, 06:12 pm »
ajzepp,

Thanks for starting this thread. I hadn't known PSA (or Tom for that matter) existed before your post. Good info and good feedback.

:thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2015, 02:14 pm »
That's what I wanted to hear!  :D

ajzepp

« Reply #36 on: 11 May 2015, 02:14 pm »
ajzepp,

Thanks for starting this thread. I hadn't known PSA (or Tom for that matter) existed before your post. Good info and good feedback.

My pleasure!  And yeah, Tom isn't known as the "Sub-Human" for nothing!  :thumb: