Power Cords and Conditioning - Quatro CT Subs

RandyH

Power Cords and Conditioning - Quatro CT Subs
« on: 25 Oct 2017, 12:17 pm »
I've had my Quatro CTs for almost nine months now.  I am very pleased with the sound and am enjoying the speakers more every day.  Currently I have the subs plugged directly into separate wall outlets and am using the original power cables supplied with the speakers.  Just curious to hear if any Vandersteen owners have experience with after market power chords and/or running these subs through a power conditioner?  I have a PS Audio Premier conditioner/regenerator but only use it for my source components.

Re: Power Chords and Conditioning - Quatro CT Subs
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:04 pm »
A power cord plugs into the wall.

A power chord begins a rock concert.

:wink:

RandyH

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:05 pm »
Sorry...thanks for your answer.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:07 pm »
I've had my Quatro CTs for almost nine months now.  I am very pleased with the sound and am enjoying the speakers more every day.  Currently I have the subs plugged directly into separate wall outlets and am using the original power cables supplied with the speakers.  Just curious to hear if any Vandersteen owners have experience with after market power chords and/or running these subs through a power conditioner?  I have a PS Audio Premier conditioner/regenerator but only use it for my source components.

I run my power subwoofer power cords through a Running Springs Audio power conditioner but I can’t say that it sounds any different as compared to being plugged directly into the wall.  If you do use a power conditioner makes sure it isn’t current limiting.

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2017, 01:51 pm »
Sorry...thanks for your answer.

Couldn't help it. I'm a school teacher so it just pops out!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Power Cords and Conditioning - Quatro CT Subs
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:05 pm »
I have a lot of experience with power conditionrs, and a little with cords.

The MAIN plus from a conditioner is in the clarity and refinement of midrange and high frequencies.
Generally the bass is affected by seeming to get 'tighter' (taunt, crisp) but also 'thinner' less weight.

So in general if you like the bass as is. a power conditioner is a waste of time.
If you want the bass to be more taunt, immediate, less 'wooly' and do not mind it seemingly less 'full'... use the conditioner.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2017, 03:22 pm »
When using RCA interconnects, plugging the amps into a separate wall outlet, or rather a different power circuit cam add Common Impedance Coupling noise.

Power conditioners and expensive power cords are way overrated.

goheelz

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2017, 09:50 pm »
I'm going to follow this thread because the Vandersteen 5A's I'm using also are still wired with stock power cords.  Anybody have success with aftermarket AC cables?  Richard V. says "not necessary" but naturally one wishes to know from personal experience.

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2017, 10:49 pm »
I'm a huge proponent of upgraded power cords, but for subwoofers, it's not critical. You may hear slight differences with a better power cord, but I wouldn't bother spending more than $100 for one.

With regard to using a power conditioner, that's a different issue. The main purpose of a power conditioner is to protect your valuable gear from power surges. If you feel the need to protect your subs, then plug them into a power conditioner. Don't expect any sonic improvements, though. If you do, that's fine, but if not, then you won't be disappointed.

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2017, 11:42 pm »
I'm a huge proponent of upgraded power cords, but for subwoofers, it's not critical. You may hear slight differences with a better power cord, but I wouldn't bother spending more than $100 for one.

With regard to using a power conditioner, that's a different issue. The main purpose of a power conditioner is to protect your valuable gear from power surges. If you feel the need to protect your subs, then plug them into a power conditioner. Don't expect any sonic improvements, though. If you do, that's fine, but if not, then you won't be disappointed.

I am not sure how well power conditioners protect from surges.  I use them mainly to clean up the power.

goheelz

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:10 am »
I am not sure how well power conditioners protect from surges.  I use them mainly to clean up the power.

Agree with this.  Power surges are not why I plug everything into a PS Audio P10 regenerator.  The P10 does "condition" the AC, but in a way that's different from other power strips, etc. I notice improved overall sound when I plug gear into the P10 (improved noise floor, better detail, imaging).  What I'd like to know: has anyone tried upgraded AC cords on the Vandy powered subs?  Interested in results whether via power conditioners (etc.) or not.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:14 am »

I think power conditioners are good for subwoofer amplifiers. Problem is few are good at all. Even more problematic is the subwoofer amplifier usually needs some tune ups too, because it looks more like a bottle neck after cleaning the AC power. I know that seems ironic, but you're removing a flavor with a good power conditioner, so sometimes without that flavor you're left wanting a bit. So not unlike not that long ago, my recommendation here probably would be looking towards modifications first.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:24 am »
I think power conditioners are good for subwoofer amplifiers. Problem is few are good at all. Even more problematic is the subwoofer amplifier usually needs some tune ups too, because it looks more like a bottle neck after cleaning the AC power. I know that seems ironic, but you're removing a flavor with a good power conditioner, so sometimes without that flavor you're left wanting a bit. So not unlike not that long ago, my recommendation here probably would be looking towards modifications first.

Agreed.

My understanding of the OP's question regarding power conditioners for subwoofers was for improved sound. My point is that don't expect a power conditioner to improve the sound of a subwoofer. Subwoofer plate amps are typically made from low quality parts and don't sound very good. A power conditioner or upgraded power cord isn't gonna magically make a sub sound better. It's best to begin with a higher quality sub amp or modify the one you have, or both.   

dminches

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2017, 01:24 am »
The OP has a pair of Quatros which have very nice subwoofer amps.  I haven’t heard anyone think that they need modifications.  I assume that the subwoofer amps in my Model 7s are high quality so the discussion of power cords and conditioners seems appropriate here.

nrenter

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2017, 02:06 am »
Beware, not all power cords (specifically, the IEC female end) will fit into the Quatro socket (the heat sink fins get into the way). I use Pangea Audio AC 9SE MKII Signature Power Cables with my Quatro CTs. The tapered female end fits nicely into the Quatro power socket. Do they make a difference? No idea...I’ve never used the stock cables.  I figure if you’re dropping that much cash on a set of speakers, what’s a few hundred more on power cables?

Oh, and I plug my Quatro CTs directly into the wall (the rest of my system is plugged into an Ayre L-5xe. 

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2017, 02:26 am »

Agree with this general assessment and would also note that the type of sub amp is worth taking into account. If the amps are class D, in my experience, they will benefit less from high end power cables. If the amps are class A/B the effect of high end power cables can be greater, though still slight. Just keep in mind that subwoofers produce frequencies our ears are not sensitive to and the manner in which subs produce those low frequencies (tight, loose, loud, deep, etc) is VERY dependent on their design...just like any other type of speaker. Cables and conditioners can make a difference. At best, they will only enhance what's already there to begin with. To what degree? That's very YMVV

You might consider starting here:
http://signalcable.com/magicpower.html

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2017, 02:41 am »
The OP has a pair of Quatros which have very nice subwoofer amps.  I haven’t heard anyone think that they need modifications.  I assume that the subwoofer amps in my Model 7s are high quality so the discussion of power cords and conditioners seems appropriate here.

meh... depends who you are talking to. I'm the ultimate snob, so the answer that anything is too good isn't part of my repertoire.

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2017, 03:04 am »
The OP has a pair of Quatros which have very nice subwoofer amps. 

If it's a plate amp, there's a 99% chance that it isn't very good. Also keep in mind that a plate amp which is typically attached to a cabinet are subject to the woofer's vibrations. Cheap parts, cheap cables, open back and lots of vibrations -- that's a recipe for distorted sound.   

dminches

« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2017, 11:33 am »
If it's a plate amp, there's a 99% chance that it isn't very good. Also keep in mind that a plate amp which is typically attached to a cabinet are subject to the woofer's vibrations. Cheap parts, cheap cables, open back and lots of vibrations -- that's a recipe for distorted sound.   

I don't know what your experience is with Vandersteen speakers, whether you have owned a pair or even heard a pair, but they are known for not cutting corners and shoddy builds.  I have owned several pairs and currently own the Model 7s.  While I have never taken the speaker apart, I would be shocked if the subwoofer amp was anything other than top quality.  I seriously doubt that Richard would put a crappy amp in a $62k pair of speakers.

According to the web site "In each Model Seven Mk II, Vandersteen integrates an ultra-high-current 400-watt amplifier with power-factor-corrected, regulated power supply. "

From my personal experience, the sub delivers a very pleasing sound, characterized by very tight bass which is never muddy.

Anyway, back to the OP's original question, I would recommend using a power conditioner if he has heard improvements when using one for his other components.

dminches

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2017, 11:34 am »
meh... depends who you are talking to. I'm the ultimate snob, so the answer that anything is too good isn't part of my repertoire.

Do you know otherwise?  if so, please educate us here.