Hot Headphone Deals!!

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Hot Headphone Deals!!
« Reply #160 on: 8 Dec 2016, 03:24 pm »
ISK HD9999 shipped be here next Thur the 15th shipping from Canada via Canada Post!

Free shipping....oh boy..

Alex

milford3

« Reply #161 on: 8 Dec 2016, 04:42 pm »
Let us know how the 9999's perform.

Wig

« Reply #162 on: 9 Dec 2016, 10:04 pm »
Received my HE400i along with my Schiit Vali 2 and have both of them burning in and will do an initial evaluation around the 150+ hour mark before the Wywires Red Headphone cables come in.

Wig

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #163 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:29 am »
The ISK 9999's arrived yesterday and I got to listen to them today for a short time, I will try to take some pix and let you know how they sound to me.

They came from the ISK guy up in British Columbia, they are made in China.

Neat case, lots of "stuff" in them...$79, free shipping, they came in brown grocery bag quality paper, and the cost of shipping was 19.51 on the package, thats probably Canadian dollars....so this cost with the low price of these things makes me wonder how much these things cost to make and what profit is being gleaned??

stay tuned
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #164 on: 15 Dec 2016, 06:18 pm »
Here are some pix of the ISK HD9999 Headphones.
I have'nt listened to them a lot, yet...but here is what comes in the box for $79!!

Two cables, fancy carrying case, carrying strap, two sets of earpads, thin and thick...two cables, one 1.5m the other 3m, one coiled one straight, the longest one..and a mini to 1.4 adapter...

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #165 on: 15 Dec 2016, 11:41 pm »
I have had some time to listen to these ISK HD9999's.

You have to remember that these are $79 headphones and $79 only goes so far in this hobby.
I like most like a good deal and for $79 you do get your moneys worth...

That said these are not what I would consider an audiophile headphone, maybe an entry level can for those that dont want to spend bucks and just listen to music not very critically. Again $79.

First impressions are a lasting one to me.

To be honest and blunt they are lacking in the bass end, the control, a little flabby etc...its not un-listenable but if you have a set of really decent headphones you most likely will not be satisfied with these.

They seem to be best with acoustic guitar jazz type of music...and to get the most of these they need to be cranked up. Not very good for low level listening IMO.

They come with two sets of earpads, one thick and one about half as thick, see the above pix.
There are 2 cables, a straight 3M one, and a 1.5 M coiled. Both mini-jack and there is an included 1/4 phone adapter.
The carrying case is stellar for this pricepoint and has a carrying strap as well.

The build quality is really good, even thought they are mostly plastic, it makes for a light weight comfortable experience.
There are no unwanted vibrations or rattles, even played loud..solid here.

On several cuts like Fourplays's In Between the Sheets, "Chant" with the amp cranked up they sound pretty decent.
The mids are ok, but the low end bass is not that well controlled and is just not up to my taste....but again its $79.
On some old tunes like the Doobie Brothers, the presentation is really pretty good...but the dynamic range of these recordings are not that great...so if you stay in that limited range its listenable.

These are not as bad as it might seem but I think most of us out there would want a better set of cans....
I think the drivers in these are the main problem for the bass end...just loose to me.

The sound-stage is surprisingly good...for this price point.

So there ya have it...a good deal for entry level cans for the forgiving listener!!

A good deal...but....

Alex

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2016, 01:52 am by adydula »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #166 on: 27 Dec 2016, 10:05 am »
Just received a newletter from Audeze:
These models are not on the website as we only have a very few units, so you will have to contact us directly to buy. Please email:    @audeze.com
LCD-XC $1195
All of these units have been tested and fitted with the latest drivers, and include our standard warranty.
This sales ends Midnight, Jan 2!

megabigeye

« Reply #167 on: 15 Mar 2017, 03:27 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #168 on: 15 Mar 2017, 03:40 am »
Sennheiser lower its price due the low sales caused by the bad sound, nit this is a fair price, the HD800 worth price is around $500 the rest is fat.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #169 on: 15 Mar 2017, 05:49 pm »
Having owned the Senn HD800 for five years, it is definitely worth $1500 or more for the amazing technology it represents.  The upper harmonic detail from the HD800 is unparalleled in my experience, and I have no doubt that you would need a Stax SR009 or Focal Utopia to match it.
Correct, its $1500 worth by the performance is an variable assessment, if one is a Sennheiser worker it would worth even more.
The fact is this phone take only 45 mins to be made:
https://www.cnet.com/uk/pictures/how-1000-headphones-are-made-a-sennheiser-factory-tour/
(It takes a team of production-line workers 45 minutes to put together one pair of HD 800s. Fifty pairs can be made per day, and a total of 5,000 will be built over 12 months.)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #170 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:02 pm »
Correct, its $1500 worth by the performance is an variable assessment, if one is a Sennheiser worker it would worth even more.
https://www.cnet.com/uk/pictures/how-1000-headphones-are-made-a-sennheiser-factory-tour/
(It takes a team of production-line workers 45 minutes to put together one pair of HD 800s. Fifty pairs can be made per day, and a total of 5,000 will be built over 12 months.)

Picasso’s “Dove of Peace” Napkin Art

The story goes that Picasso was sitting in a Paris café when an admirer approached and asked if he would do a quick sketch on a paper napkin. Picasso politely agreed, swiftly executed the work, and handed back the napkin — but not before asking for a rather significant amount of money. The admirer was shocked: “How can you ask for so much? It took you a minute to draw this!” “No”, Picasso replied, “It took me 40 years”

mr_bill

« Reply #171 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:19 pm »
Having owned the Senn HD800 for five years, it is definitely worth $1500 or more for the amazing technology it represents.  The upper harmonic detail from the HD800 is unparalleled in my experience, and I have no doubt that you would need a Stax SR009 or Focal Utopia to match it.

Dale, you have so much experience.
Sennheiser HD800 or HD800S?  Is it important to buy the new 800S model over the 800?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #172 on: 15 Mar 2017, 08:44 pm »
The HD800S differs in that it has a somewhat warmer tonality owing to higher second order distortion in the lower end. This isn't necessarily a bad thing and will come down to personal taste. Of note however is the older HD800 can be found for cheaper, and there are several mods out there which are reportedly the same or even better than the 800S revision.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #173 on: 15 Mar 2017, 10:25 pm »
A better bass is made with a cheap felt ribbon as the anaxilus mod.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #174 on: 15 Mar 2017, 10:31 pm »
“How can you ask for so much? It took you a minute to draw this!” “No”, Picasso replied, “It took me 40 years”
Nice anecdote but it dont fit, HD800 is not art, they made 5000 per year, a mass product.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #175 on: 15 Mar 2017, 11:55 pm »
Nice anecdote but it dont fit, HD800 is not art, they made 5000 per year, a mass product.

…and if you don't think there is art in industrial design, then I would say you have never actually been involved in design and are in no position to comment.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #176 on: 16 Mar 2017, 12:31 am »
…and if you don't think there is art in industrial design, then I would say you have never actually been involved in design and are in no position to comment.
Iam a oil painter and hand designer by hobby since teenager, yet I dont consider hp cans art, however I could consider the beauty of a woman's art, the HD800, the new HE1000 and Edition X are even ugly.
I think hp as tools to listen music which can be art.

charmerci

« Reply #177 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:19 am »

How about looking at the people who are putting it together? They have to have a job that pays a good wage year in and year out - when you run a business, an employee costs more per hour than the wage they are paid. There are many other people in that business besides the people that assemble it. Also look at the storage, assembly room behind the photos - the rent and the electricity bills run year round. It's not run in a house that one family lives in.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #178 on: 16 Mar 2017, 01:34 am »

How about looking at the people who are putting it together? They have to have a job that pays a good wage year in and year out - when you run a business, an employee costs more per hour than the wage they are paid. There are many other people in that business besides the people that assemble it. Also look at the storage, assembly room behind the photos - the rent and the electricity bills run year round. It's not run in a house that one family lives in.
This is true German workers are among the highest paid in the world, I prefer help Chinese workers who work 12 hours a day like me.
Sorry Iam off topic here in Hot Headphone Deals.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #179 on: 27 Apr 2017, 03:50 am »