scb

Re: How to burn Hi-Res downloads
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:06 pm »
I can try to make a version that works on the current os on Monday

rbbert

« Reply #41 on: 20 Feb 2016, 07:42 pm »
rrbert,

Thanks for the advice.  I installed the backdated Java and then downloaded DVD-Audiofile.  When I tried to open DVD-Audiofile I got this message:

Sorry for the convoluted screen shot, but I did this on a different machine.

Yes, that's going to work.  Click on the question mark, it will tell you what to do to allow DVD-Audiofile to load (what I mentioned before, change permissions to allow any app to work), and then everything should be fine.

rbbert

« Reply #42 on: 20 Feb 2016, 09:30 pm »

version 0.81 turns out to work fine once you apply those two work-arounds.

dnd

« Reply #43 on: 20 Feb 2016, 10:59 pm »
Ahhh - duhh.  Thanks.  A similar thing happens with other downloads, but I have two different operation systems and this one didn't act as I expected.

OK, so now I get DVD-Audiofile to open, load the files and create the ISO.  I then get this screen:

Somewhere along the line I did create an ISO image before, just not with DVD-Audiofile.  Now that I have opened DVD-Audiofile, I prefer it because it is so easy.  However, I still don't have a playable DVD-Audio disc yet.

Now any suggestions on how to get this burnt to play like a DVD-Audio disc?  Simply burning the ISO doesn't accomplish this.

I tried this:
Insert a blank disc.
Start Disk Utility.
From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned.
In the list of volumes, you will now see an item representing the ISO file. Select it.
Click the Burn button and follow the instructions.

When I put the disc in my player, it shows as a DVD-Audio, but it pretty much locks up in play showing all zeros in the display (track #, time...).  When looking physically at the disc, there is no way there is 4 gig of data on it.

dnd

« Reply #44 on: 20 Feb 2016, 11:08 pm »

FWIW - the machines I have been trying this on are running OS X 10.8.5 & 10.10.5

rbbert

« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2016, 11:15 pm »
Burn the .iso to disc (I usually choose my Desktop for simplicity).  Then use Toast; put in a blank DVD-R (or DVD+R, although those have marginally less capacity), choose the .iso (you can drag and drop it into the project window if you want to) and burn.  If you want to burn just using OS X you will need to visit the Apple support communities, El Capitan has made it a bit more complicated, but older versions of Toast work just fine and it's fairly easy to find one for free download.

Make your .iso file is the "right" size; sometimes you need to redo the "create .iso" process a couple of times, it should take at least a minute or two and there is a status bar if it is doing it right.

dnd

« Reply #46 on: 21 Feb 2016, 05:26 pm »
How big should the iso file be?  For about 4 gig of music, the iso is 1.1Mb.

Also, How do I burn the iso in Toast.  I can burn the music like a regular DVD, but it is basically a DVD-Video with only audio, not a DVD-Audio.  And when I burned it, I just dragged the wav files into toast without touching the iso I created with DVD-Audiofile.

I am sorry to be so dependent here.  I feel like this is never-ending in spite of your hand-holding me through it.

rbbert

« Reply #47 on: 21 Feb 2016, 08:30 pm »
DVD-Audiofile tells you how big the project is (in the initial file choosing window); that's how big the .iso file should be (approximately).  I'm not at my computer today, but Toast should have an option to burn a disc image (no disc type specified).

I burned 2 DVD-A's yesterday, from FLAC files, using this procedure.  Both played fine on my Oppo.

dnd

« Reply #48 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:14 am »
Thanks, that gives me some hope. 

If you happen to do another one soon, can you let me know the size of the iso and the total size of the files you are burning?  I am trying to do about 4 gig of files (wav), and the iso is consistently 1.1 mb.  I have made a lot of iso files by this point and they are all the same size.  Seems too small to me.

**edit - I do have some Hi Res Flac files and tried those.  The iso seems much more realistic in size.  I al trying to burn this now.  In Toast, I am not sure how to do it, but I selected DVD-ROM this time around.  Seems wrong to me, but what the heck, gotta try something.  In the iso mode, it looked like it thought the disc was a CD, not a DVD.  This is why I started in DVD-ROM mode.  --  I just thought I should enter this now in case someone was to respond before I completed a few attempts.

I am using Toast Titanium BTW.

If I cannot get this done by the end of the week, I am ditching the mac and getting a cheap window machine, run circlina, and hopefully call it a day.

rbbert

« Reply #49 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:52 am »
I'll be back home tomorrow, I'll try to tell you exactly what Toast option to choose.  I'm sure there is something in the manual about burning image.iso files, you could check there.  I strongly suspect that if you just burn the image even to DVD-ROM data it will work, because the image is of a DVD-A disc, and that's howmthe Oppo will see it. 

dnd

« Reply #50 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:41 am »
I got it!!!!!!!!!

First - thank you so very much for your patience.  Forums can quickly turn nasty out of frustration, and you really demonstrated supreme patience and sincerity with me, so thank you very much!

For starters, when I tried to make an ISO from WAV files in DVD-Audiofile, it didn't work.  When I did it using FLAC files, it worked file provided all the files are the same bit size and resolution.  As you did, I placed the ISO on my desktop.

I went here for instructions to burn the ISO:

http://www.wikihow.com/Burn-ISO-with-Toast-Titanium

Essentially, here are the steps:

1) Open Toast (in my case Toast Titanium)
2) Select the "copy" tab
3) In the drop down menu on the left side of the work area, select "image file" (see picture below)
4) Click on the "select" button and choose your ISO file
5) Make sure you have a writable DVD in the drive of course
6) Click on "Copy" and then let it do its thing.

Job done using the instructions given over the last two days with DVD-Audiofile, backdating the Java, and dropping the security so DVD-Audiofile can load.

Again, I cannot thank you enough!

rbbert

« Reply #51 on: 22 Feb 2016, 03:13 am »
Glad it worked.  You can burn files with different resolutions to DVD-A, but you have to use separate "groups".  All the files in any one "group" need to be the same resolution.

If I do some editing on WAV or AIFF files, I always convert them to FLAC before using DVD-Audiofile for Mac.  Interestingly, the Windows version (which you can't even find anywhere anymore) works fine with WAV files.

dnd

« Reply #52 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:16 pm »
May I ask what conversion program you use?

When I use xACT, going from wav to flac it make the files 16bit.  Is there a setting somewhere to keep them 24 bit?

Going from flac to wav, the files stay at 24 bit.

rbbert

scb

« Reply #54 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:49 pm »
May I ask what conversion program you use?

When I use xACT, going from wav to flac it make the files 16bit.  Is there a setting somewhere to keep them 24 bit?

Going from flac to wav, the files stay at 24 bit.

xACT doesn't convert 24 bit wav to 16 bit flac. It just tells flac to compress and that's it. Files will be the same bit depth as the originals

dnd

« Reply #55 on: 22 Feb 2016, 03:00 pm »
xACT doesn't convert 24 bit wav to 16 bit flac. It just tells flac to compress and that's it. Files will be the same bit depth as the originals

I don't understand that - but my lack of understanding has become well documented by now.

XLD worked for me on the first try.  (thanks again)

scb

« Reply #56 on: 24 Feb 2016, 02:19 pm »
Glad it worked.  You can burn files with different resolutions to DVD-A, but you have to use separate "groups".  All the files in any one "group" need to be the same resolution.

If I do some editing on WAV or AIFF files, I always convert them to FLAC before using DVD-Audiofile for Mac.  Interestingly, the Windows version (which you can't even find anywhere anymore) works fine with WAV files.

The windows version should use the same command line authoring code as the mac version.