Magnepan 1.7i versus 3.6r

mr_bill

Magnepan 1.7i versus 3.6r
« on: 9 Aug 2017, 12:35 am »
Which would you choose or which is better?

geowak

Re: Magnepan 1.7i versus 3.6r
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2017, 01:18 am »
I guess it would depend on how much quality amplification and/or current I had to use....

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2017, 02:39 am »
Having heard both, I would go with the 3.6's if I had the amplification for it.  Bigger sound, more detail, better bass and you have to love the true ribbon tweeter.  I made the mistake of buying the 1.6's when I could have bought the 3.6's.  Huge mistake.  I did not have the proper electronics at the time for the 3.6's but I do now.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2017, 11:04 pm »
Room size will play a factor as well.  You can easily go too small or too big with Magnepans.
Assuming they're sized correctly I'd go with the 3.6s for the ribbons.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2017, 02:34 am »
The 3.6's paired with a Rel Gibraltar G1 Subwoofer is a perfect matchup. I spent an afternoon listening to that setup and it's amazing. The remote control for the Rel is not a gimmick, it was very useful on some recordings. Usually the Rel was crossed over at 40 Hz but on some recordings, especially older CD's, bumping up the crossover point really opened up the sound and increased our musical enjoyment. The Rel is fast enough to keep up with Magnepan's and always dissapeared unless we went crazy with the remote.

A_shah

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2017, 02:49 am »
1.7i are better value ! most reviewers prefer the 1.7i or the top 20.7 as full disclosure I have listened to both including the MMG which I had for 60 day home trial I ended up buying 1.7i   but they do need high current and powerful amplification I have it crossed over at 40 HZ with Dr.HSu VTF15 MK 11 Subwoofer with is fast enough to keep up the panels and blends very well the amplifier I am using is Odyssey Kismet custom made by Klaus Bunge which is discussed under the odyssey circle