Very much enjoying my "new" HT2-TLs!

billmcc

Very much enjoying my "new" HT2-TLs!
« on: 1 Oct 2016, 04:15 pm »
I just received a pair of gently used HT2-TLs from a fellow member. They arrived yesterday via FedEx Ground. The FedEx driver is quite familiar with my many audio purchases especially speakers from Jim Salk. So much so that he called me yesterday and asked for "The Speaker Man". FedEx delivers in the afternoon in my area so I met Mike at the local hospital at 9:00 am so I could get a jump on setting up the HT2-TLs. I was amazed at how big the boxes were and believe it or not they fit in my Prius!

Once home getting these beasts into my house was a challenge by myself. But I got it done and slowly and carefully unboxed them and applied the plinths. Once the HT2-TLs were all connected the first disc on was Patricia Barber's Verse SACD. The HT2-TLs replaced a pair of 1801TLs which are excellent sounding speakers. But right off I could hear the differences between the two speakers. The top end has that added sparkle of the RAAL tweeter and dual Seas W18s really add to the low end.

I was definitely prepared for an overall SQ improvement for stereo music but was not sure about multichannel music. I did a new Dirac calibration and then put on some of my favorite multichannel discs. First up was Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia DVD-A. The HT2-TLs add the same positive differences in SQ with multichannel as with stereo music. This was a bit unexpected but in reality it shouldn't have surprised me. I'll eventually need to get a matching HT2C to match the HT2-TLs but will use an 1801b for now.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the HT2-TLs from an overall SQ improvement and of course with their incredible build quality and cabinet finish :)!

Edit: I'd like to thank Frank (Tourde) for a very positive transaction! The HT2-TLs were packed with care and Frank's level of communication was excellent. Thanks again :)!

Bill

djoel

Re: Very much enjoying my "new" HT2-TLs!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2016, 04:40 pm »
Big Congrats Bill enjoy the new Salk Speakers :thumb:, RAAL tweeters are a bit addictive,well at least for me, at first it's subtle but then you can't get enough of the airy floaty highs.

:o HOLY SMOKE Bill, I just saw your speakers and they're beautiful. Loving the rich warm finish, just awesome.

Have fun rediscovering your music library.

Dan

billmcc

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2016, 06:20 pm »
Big Congrats Bill enjoy the new Salk Speakers :thumb:, RAAL tweeters are a bit addictive,well at least for me, at first it's subtle but then you can't get enough of the airy floaty highs.

:o HOLY SMOKE Bill, I just saw your speakers and they're beautiful. Loving the rich warm finish, just awesome.

Have fun rediscovering your music library.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thanks :)! I'm enjoying a day of nothing but music listening. I was happy to see the weather yesterday forecasting rain and cool temperatures here in Maine. Started with some nice jazz and then on to some rock on SACD. Then after that some epic surround titles :D! I hope all is well down in NYC. I'll be in touch tomorrow afternoon.

Bill

audioguy213

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2016, 06:30 pm »
Congrats on your "new to you" speakers!
It is wonderful when you find a "house" sound you like, and then are able to progress up the model lines and hear better and better iterations of the designers ideals.

billmcc

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2016, 07:14 pm »
Congrats on your "new to you" speakers!
It is wonderful when you find a "house" sound you like, and then are able to progress up the model lines and hear better and better iterations of the designers ideals.
Thanks :)! That's a great way to put it in that it's the Salk "house" sound that I most certainly enjoy. To move up the model line has been made possible by buying "gently" used Salk speakers from fellow AC members :).

Bill