Bryston Loudspeakers

95Dyna

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1900 on: 22 Dec 2014, 08:04 pm »
Sorry,  the pic didn't post properly.  Probably pilot error.  I'll try again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1901 on: 22 Dec 2014, 08:39 pm »
Hi Bill,

Yes I think we could use bananas instead - I would have to check.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1902 on: 23 Dec 2014, 04:35 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: BASEMENT TAPES “PART 2”

December 2014

Hi Folks,

A month ago I sent out info indicating the Basement Tapes of Bob Dylan and the Band containing 138 songs were Restored, Mixed and Mastered by Peter Moore of “The E Room Mastering Studios” on: the Bryston Middle T speakers and Bryston amplifiers.

I am pleased to report the recording has received the:

“Stereophile Recording of the Month”

The Basement Tapes Complete … John Swenson Stereophile

“This is a difficult album to rate sonically. In restoring it to its original state, Peter J, Moore has presented us with a deliberately rough-hewn product.

But the painstaking effort to re-create the sessions as they happened, with the best-recorded versions of Dylan's vocals ever issued, is a work of restorative art in its own right, showing us this music without the masks it has paraded behind over the years.

LINK:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-january-2015-basement-tapes-completere

highnelly

« Reply #1903 on: 2 Jan 2015, 03:53 am »

Wanted to share my Middle T and Mini TC pictures!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1904 on: 2 Jan 2015, 11:00 am »

Wanted to share my Middle T and Mini TC pictures!

Thanks for sharing - what electronics are you using? Are you happy with the sound?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1905 on: 7 Jan 2015, 01:50 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Speaker Stereophile Review

Hi Folks – the  Stereophile review in the February 2015 issue of Stereophile Magazine is due out this week on the … Bryston Middle T Loudspeaker.

My two favorite quotes are:

“And again I must point out that excellent cumulative spectral-decay plot. It is uncommon to see a large, affordable tower speaker with so clean an initial decay.”

John Atkinson

“The Bryston Middle T is the real thing: a wonderful speaker at a reasonable price that can be enjoyed for many years.”

Kalman Rubinson

The Bryston Middle T Speaker is featured on the front cover of the February issue of Stereophile.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1906 on: 7 Jan 2015, 07:24 pm »
Bryston has really hit one out of the proverbial ball park with the T series speakers! I look forward to getting to hear them one day.

servingko

« Reply #1907 on: 7 Jan 2015, 08:34 pm »
The more I spend time listening to my Middle T's the more I am impressed with the sound.  A conventional speaker with a very unconventional sound.  I think I may have the first pair with serial numbers xxxxxxxxxx4001 and xxxxxxxxxx4002.  I doubt they have even sold 4,000 speakers yet but I may be wrong. :D  I have paired them with a number of amps with great success from 50 watts to 500 (2B-LP, 2BSST, 4BSST, 4BSST2, 9BSST, B100SST....and some non Bryston stuff) as they appear to be an easy load and relatively efficient.  So far my favorite has been the 2BSST but I have a two month old 3BSST2 coming today I hope to try out this evening.

highnelly

« Reply #1908 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:20 am »
Thanks for sharing - what electronics are you using? Are you happy with the sound?

james

Hi James - I'm using your SP3 with 9bsst2. This system took months to put together. I listened to a lot of more expensive setups, but none sounded better than this one. I only listened to 2 channel during the "test drive" stage and now having an all Bryston 5 channel in my living room I'm blown away on how good it sounds. Better than I ever thought!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1909 on: 10 Jan 2015, 11:14 am »
Hi Folks ... Sneak Peak

South Africa's Top Audo/Video Magazine is reviewing the Bryston Model T Speakers.

"Most speakers will find it easy enough to render the sonics involved – but the emotive quality, the attack and timbre, the revelation of layers behind layers, and the careful, circumspect placing of voices and instruments on a deep, expansive soundstage – those elements were heeded and exposed with a grace and care unusual for such large, complex, multi-driver speaker".

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1910 on: 10 Jan 2015, 03:18 pm »
SUBJECT: BASEMENT TAPES “PART 2”

December 2014

Hi Folks,

A month ago I sent out info indicating the Basement Tapes of Bob Dylan and the Band containing 138 songs were Restored, Mixed and Mastered by Peter Moore of “The E Room Mastering Studios” on: the Bryston Middle T speakers and Bryston amplifiers.

I am pleased to report the recording has received the:

“Stereophile Recording of the Month”

The Basement Tapes Complete … John Swenson Stereophile

“This is a difficult album to rate sonically. In restoring it to its original state, Peter J, Moore has presented us with a deliberately rough-hewn product.

But the painstaking effort to re-create the sessions as they happened, with the best-recorded versions of Dylan's vocals ever issued, is a work of restorative art in its own right, showing us this music without the masks it has paraded behind over the years.

LINK:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-january-2015-basement-tapes-completere

James I have been on a major Elvis kick with the Mini A's...the King sounds great on these speakers!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1911 on: 10 Jan 2015, 03:29 pm »
James I have been on a major Elvis kick with the Mini A's...the King sounds great on these speakers!

Great - Glad you are enjoying them.  They continue to surprise me every day :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1912 on: 14 Jan 2015, 10:54 am »
SUBJECT: Bryston Mini T Customer Feedback

January 2015

Hi James,

Lets talk about music.

Firstly, the change from my (edit) power amp - the new (edit) @ 200wpc to the Bryston 4BSST^2 completely changed the personality of my long loved (edit) from the late 1980's! The (edit) jumped to life with fuller bottom end and a new lease on life! The old girls were smiling!

Then I hooked up the new Mini T's.

My first reaction was joy - about how much fun i was going to have with these speakers.  Although, i was a bit surprised of what I observed to be less detail in the sound compared to the (edit) -  and less spatial separation between the instruments - something the (edit) excelled at.  I must admit, my ears were so used to the (edit) precision and transparency that it was difficult for me to immediately appreciate the sonic quality of the Mini's.  But, It didn't take too long to adjust!

Prior to hooking up the Mini T's i could really only listen to music for a short while (with the (edit) setup) before my ears suffered from fatigue. The Mini T's changed that and I've spent many 4-5 hour evenings of listening, and quite loud, and its all good baby! No fatigue - and keeps me coming back to my system. And, I now have 2 weeks of bachelor-hood and many hours of listening will continue! Yes. Like right now, listening to Jackson Browne's new album 'Standing on the Breach' - at 24/96. Track 3. Beautiful acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals.

I love these Mini T's!

I was reassured that i could listen as loudly as i wanted, and not to worry if the volume heads towards 2 or 3 o'clock on the volume dial! And that's right, the Mini's can handle it. The reviewers are bang on - no noticeable distortion at loud volumes. Although, the lights on the front of the 4B were flashing red one night when the horn section kicked in somewhere on the Graceland album. I was enjoying the African harmonies!  I love the warm sound of the Mini's, and the incredible bass - one of the main reasons I was attracted to the Mini's - the massive low frequency response from a not-so-big speaker. And the price. And it was from Bryston!

Two recordings i listen to often are Knopfler's Privateering album and the Allman Brothers - Playing All Night - Live at the Beacon Theatre 1992. Man, the first 5 minutes of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed on these Mini T's is stunning. The dual drum kits cranking it out in time and Dickey and Warren's beautiful complementary guitar leads - its like I'm right there! Loud and Stunning. Love it!

Needless to say, I am very happy with my new Mini T's. I was toying with, eventually, upgrading to the Middle T but I'm not so sure now....the mini's sound large....with a capital L. The  extra 8" drivers of the middle brother may actually blow the roof off! Ha!

Thanks again for making my Bryston purchases such a great experience. And for taking the leap into speaker design! Love you guys. And proud to be canadian!

Cheers,

Terry Sullivan
Smithers BC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1913 on: 14 Jan 2015, 08:54 pm »
SUBJECT: NEW BRYSTON SPEAKER DEALER

January  2015

We would like to welcome ‘Audio Ark’ in Edmonton’ as our latest Bryston Speaker Dealer.

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #1914 on: 16 Jan 2015, 09:08 pm »
This morning I hooked up the Mini A to a Bob Carver Black Magic 20 watt EL84 tube amp.

I was absolutely stunned by the combination. This is after using a 200 wpc McIntosh solid state integrated,

Here are some pix.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1915 on: 19 Jan 2015, 02:16 pm »

Eatlxtr

« Reply #1916 on: 22 Jan 2015, 04:34 am »
James, Is Bryston planning to create a condo friendly floor standing speaker?

I heard the Bryston Mini T in my dealers showroom and the sound was absolutely stunning!!! In fact, I have since upgraded my b100 sst to a 4b squared in anticipation of getting a set of Bryston speakers. My only issue is finding a model that really suits my place

I would like a speaker that I can place near to walls, is fairly compact, and where I can control the bass output to balance with my room and keep the bass in check and keep the police visits to a minimum. Of course I still want it to have most of the dynamic presence of the Mini T:)))

My basic criteria comes down to this:
1. Amazing dynamic 'live' sound of the Mini T's
2. The ability to place them close to walls without messing up the sound.
3. Physically not too big so that they will not look out of place in my room
4. A speaker that is large enough to provide the dynamics and mid bass presence of the Mini T and go down to 50hz on its own
5. The ability to add, adjust or kill the bass below 50hz as desired so I can balance the bass level and don't drive my neighbors crazy. (Bryston mini sub would be the ticket for this)

Mini T - Not wall friendly or neighbor friendly, mostly because of its very low bass output and the rear port. The bass is great but just too much for my little place. The last review I read said the speaker needed to be 7 feet from the back wall completely eliminate wall influence....OMG!!! Plus, I can't keep the low bass on all the time for the neighbors sake.

A3 - Just a bit too big, especially being 15 in deep. This means the speaker is going to be quite close to the rear wall and the two rear facing ports are going to be a problem. Also, going down to 40Hz is a bit low not to have boundary issues. It also just looks to big and bulky for my place. Something a bit smaller would visually work better.

Mini A - This may be the best solution of the entire line you have today. It only goes down to 60Hz so it should not have too much in the way of wall issues and I can run it on its own to keep the neighbors happy.  Due to its size, though, it will probably not provide the dynamic presence of the Mini T. Going a bit lower (50Hz) would be nice as well.

I was thinking that maybe something like a 'Mini A Tower' could be the perfect solution? It would have the same footprint of the Mini A (maybe a couple of inches deeper) but be around 40 inches high with only a front port and sport two of each driver found in the Mini A. Because of the larger cabinet, getting it to go to 50Hz should be possible. If the price point was somewhere around twice the price of a Mini A then I think I would be a real bargin.

I believe a speaker like this would work perfectly in any small room were space is an issue. The Mini A Tower could open up a whole new market to the Bryston speaker line:))))

James, do you happen have something like this on the drawing board already? ... Or do I need to pick up a couple of sets of Mini A speakers and build my own Mini A Tower cabinets? ha ha :))))

Thank you for your response and for creating a great speaker line!!!

Earl Teigrob,
Calgary, AB

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1917 on: 22 Jan 2015, 11:17 am »
Hi Earl

Well thank you for your kind comments on the speakers - much appreciated - no new models on the drawing board at this point other than the T REX.

Low bass response in any room will be a function of the boundary affects and the low frequency capability of the speaker so there really is no distance from the rear wall that is set in stone.  For example in my 3rd room which is 11 x 13 x 8 the Mini T's sound superb and they are only 12 inches from the back wall.

In Vegas recently at the CES show they were 2 feet from the back wall.  So each room is different and placement will vary.  Generally speaking all our speakers only need to be about 8-12 inches from a rear wall if rear ported and if closer placement is required we have port plugs which can reduce the low bass output below about 50 Hz.

AS for your room setup I would say if the Mini T is too large then I would suggest 2 options. 

1. The Mini A's with the new Mini A Sub or the Model T Mini Sub depending on budget as that would allow you to adjust bass according to your room setup and listening preferences.

Option 2 would be the A3 tower as it has a similar driver compliment to the Mini T and is capable of lower bass than the Mini A on its own.

Hope this helps.

james

« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2015, 12:24 pm by James Tanner »

milford3

« Reply #1918 on: 22 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm »
Hi Earl

Well thank you for your kind comments on the speakers - much appreciated - no new models on the drawing board at this point other than the T REX.

Low bass response in any room will be a function of the boundary affects and the low frequency capability of the speaker so there really is no distance from the rear wall that is set in stone.  For example in my 3rd room which is 11 x 13 x 8 the Mini T's sound superb and they are only 12 inches from the back wall.

In Vegas recently at the CES show they were 2 feet from the back wall.  So each room is different and placement will vary.  Generally speaking all our speakers only need to be about 8-12 inches from a rear wall if rear ported and if closer placement is required we have port plugs which can reduce the low bass output below about 50 Hz.

AS for your room setup I would say if the Mini T is too large then I would suggest 2 options. 

1. The Mini A's with the new Mini A Sub or the Model T Mini Sub depending on budget as that would allow you to adjust bass according to your room setup and listening preferences.

Option 2 would be the A3 tower as it has a similar driver compliment to the Mini T and is capable of lower bass than the Mini A on its own.

Hope this helps.

James, are those stands from Axiom used for the QS4's and 8"s surround speakers?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1919 on: 22 Jan 2015, 01:03 pm »
Hi

Yes we get the stands from them but they are custom to the Mini T's as the top plate matches the profile of the Mini T cabinet bottom and has bolts to secure the speakers to the stand if you wish.

james