Double speed DSD recordings of live concerts.....coming soon! Mind Blowing!!!!

Russell Dawkins

So Ric Schulz - did anything ever come of this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=43473.msg420324#msg420324

You told me I should hold my comments until I hear the recordings, then you went pretty quiet on the subject, referring only once more to it, if I'm not mistaken, a couple of months later in November '07:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=47031.msg421493#msg421493

I have "held my comments" for 4 1/2 years now and still I'm not aware of a single recording by which we can judge for ourselves whether your claims of
"This has never happened in the history of recorded music......until NOW!"
and
"....transparency that makes a super expensive turntable sound tame and veiled...."
actually hold water.

Just curious.

Housteau

For what it is worth, I use that Korg MR-1000 and the recordings can be very good.  Many of those Live vs Recorded demos from VMPS that John Casler has made available here were recorded at double DSD quality (5.6 Mhz).

Those two channel recordings were pure direct from mic to HD.  However, they  were converted to WAV 24/96 for distribution.  The Main issue I have with DSD is that only very simple editing can be done without purchasing very expensive software.  So, the recordings need to be spot on the money from the start.  There are no second chances with anything.

Simple two channel recording can sound very good indeed when done right.  What works best are the pure acoustic performances, because once a PA system is involved you end up recording the PA and not the musicians.  So, I am very interested in knowing how Ric Schulz was planning to get high quality recordings using the techniques he described.  I have never known them to work well with any amplified performance.

Rclark

I have a turntable. I'm thinking of putting it to use here soon. And considering that there is still evidence that well recorded onto cd is as good as well recorded onto anything else, I am in no hurry to replace my transport with a computer any time soon. It is a golden age for the compact disc buyer (Amazon.com).

Housteau

And considering that there is still evidence that well recorded onto cd is as good as well recorded onto anything else, I am in no hurry to replace my transport with a computer any time soon.

HiRez gives the listener a lot more information that helps create the illusion of what we listen to is more than just a recording.  However, good recordings can also give us more information to help build this illusion.  This happens when the recordings retain as much dynamic range as possible.  Only certain audiophile labels still do this, so with them, yes standard CDs can be quite good.

But, when you combine both HiRez with good dynamic recordings, that is when things really start to take off.  To enjoy that you really need to move passed the good transport idea.  My preference is that musicians should sound as if they were playing in my room just for me.  That is why I started to record music for myself.  In this way I don't need to make silly compromises for marketing reasons.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2012, 06:59 am by Housteau »

Rclark

Do you have some examples of your music?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I wish DSD would blow something else than my mind.

Housteau

Do you have some examples of your music?

A few threads down John Casler mentioned that he is making the VMPS recordings available once again.  Those are mine and the easiest ones to get to.  The ones from the jazz quintet are the best.  They remind me of some of the Mapleshade recordings I have.  They are 24/96 though.

I am considering putting together a simple website where a lot my stuff that is not protected could be made available for download.  The artists would like it and I know the audiophile community would as well.

Rclark

Thanks, when I finally get a new dac in here (thinking of getting the XDA-2 which is rumored to be coming soon, and calling it a day) I will use your tracks as a demo to see if there's anything to it. I'll compare it to my best CD material.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Even though the subject line is Double speed DSD I thought I would pass along this link for DSD 5.6 MHz concerts.  http://dsd.st/en/ 
And as I write this I must mention I haven't looked or listened to the sample.  No DSD and the main PC decided I couldn't live without Win 10 :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

At this time I don't have DSD capabilities and my personal music preferences don't appear to be performances on their hit parade.

This is a collaboration by Sony, Korg and a few more parties.

I personally like the idea as any live music or plain old audio I receive on my cable (Comcast) is fair to poor at best.  And we actually happen to watch a fair amount of music/concerts via cable. :scratch:

Note:  No relation to the above companies just felt a duty to pass along :thumb: