Mapleshade experiment - Fallen Angels & Michael Carvin

nathanm

I took a chance and picked up two recordings from Mapleshade: Fallen Angels "Rain Of Fire" and Michael Carvin "Drum Concerto At Dawn".  They wisely included the best song (almost always the 1st track) on the record for the Fallen Angels as an MP3 on the website and I really dug that one.  Since I love the sound of drums in a room I figured the Michael Carvin disc  was a fairly safe experiment.

The purist recording approach is definitely cool.  The first thing I noticed was the dynamics of the sound.  The drum fills sounded like they do at a live show - loud!  Very cool.  It sounds pretty much like a buncha guys playing in a living room. The lack of compression makes for a more natural volume balance, especially on vocals.  If the singer is belting it's loud and if he's crooning it's quiet, and maybe even masked by the rest of the music.  On regular recordings the whispers and the screams are both at the same volume level!  Yeah, it makes for increased coherency, but it isn't as dramatic or natural sounding as this.

Apparently the 'Angels are some "psychedelic" band from the 60s, but personally I am not sure what is psychedelic about this at all.  The first couple tunes are good but I found my mind trailing off after awhile.  That's not the worst thing in the world, it could possibly be a Grower.  "All in All" has some clever lyrics that brought a grin.  They call this a rock band, but there isn't a whole lot of rocking going on IMHO.  Not to say that it's bad, but it's pretty tame stylistically.  I can't fault Mapleshade for that, they ain't exactly gonna go from recording an old man playing the blues on a worn out six string to AC\DC in one day! heh!

The Michael Carvin disc is pretty interesting as it is entirely a guy playing a drum kit with some occasional vocals.  I am not a huge fan of jazz style drumming, but there's no doubt this guy has chops.  But the best part is the sound of the kit - unlike any drums I've ever heard on record.  No gates, no mics hung directly over the skins, no compression...and the guy's forte seems to be subtely!  There's a good portion of the disc where he is tapping the drums really lightly.  One tune fades away gradually into the tape noise, just when you think he's can't play any softer it gets softer!  A great test of your system's noise level and ambient distractions!  I haven't played it real loud yet, but I can imagine that you could calibrate this disc so that you are getting a 1:1 Real World Volume ratio happening.

My dream is to have a killer metal band record at Mapleshade.  I think it would kick much ass to remove all the direct, separate-take EQed compressed, effected hype and just capture that fucking loud-as-hell in-the-room din of a real band.  Maybe not how I'd wanna listen to EVERY album, but it would be a first.  The Melvins would be a good candidate I think. Or better yet, the Fucking Champs!  Well, they already sound pretty damn awesome as is.

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2003, 09:51 pm »
A Mapleshade metal album would rule!  I'd buy it!  

I wonder if a record label like Mapleshade got together with an independent punk band with their own label, like Fugazi, how much killer stuff they could create.   Fugazi's vinyl releases sound pretty good as they are but recorded by a label like Maphleshade would be awesome.

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2003, 09:32 pm »
Sometimes it's amazing how weak heavy music sounds on record after you get back from a show.  It's like, "What the hell happened to all that power and energy?"  

Mapleshade wouldn't necessarily have to do it, I'm sure Pierre Sprey isn't at all interested in recording Fugazi! :lol: but it doesn't have to be that studio, just that approach to recording of keeping it simple.  It wouldn't even have to be done live to 2-track, they could record takes separately if they wanted, but I think distant stereo miking everything in the room would have a MUCH more natural result.

I am sure if we ever got a chance to hear the raw, unaffected mic feeds from any commerical metal album they would be really raucous and much better than the compressed, EQed, thin-sounding final result they give us.  I've heard this happen on Recording Magazine's "Playback" series of CDs where they break down the steps of the recording process and show before\after EQ effects.  Many times I preferred the original!  Drums suffer the most on metal albums.  There's no decay of the sound no space or air or anything.  Just thin little clacks and bangs.  They have real drummers but they make it sound like a drum machine!  How fucked up is that concept!? Sheesh!

As great as Michael Carvin is, I would love if someone like Pete Sandoval or Dave Lombardo stepped in and played the same kit!  8)