How many CDs and/or LPs do you have?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 19 Apr 2003, 01:45 am »
Anyone care to reveal the size of his or her collection?  No, not you Bubba! :lol:   Unless of course you want to include DVDs & LD's!

Haoleb

« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2003, 02:46 am »
103 cds. Just counted last week. Now i need about 400  more and i'll be set!

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2003, 03:10 am »
Seriously, If you know how many you have, you clearly do not have enough!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2003, 03:21 am »
Around a thousand.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2003, 05:02 am »
I have ten and live on a desert island.

bubba966

Re: How many CDs and/or LPs do you have?
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2003, 07:24 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Anyone care to reveal the size of his or her collection?  No, not you Bubba!

How come I'm the only one excluded from this topic? :bawl:

Is it because you already know I've got 0 CD's/0 LP's/0 DVD-A's/0 SACD's/0 cassettes, etc, etc, etc? :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2003, 07:15 pm »
I dunno, it's all on the boat :-(

DTH

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2003, 07:33 pm »
About 1500 CDs, 500 LPs.

jcoat007

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2003, 09:53 pm »
Probably 600 or 700 CD's
Approximately 500 LP's
25 DVD's

I would have more LP's (like 500 more), but I sold a whole bunch when CD's came out.  I thought I would get top dollar for a dying medium.  

What an idiot I turned out to be.    :oops:

cjr888

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2003, 10:11 pm »
2500ish CDs, give or take a couple hundred...

Sa-dono

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2003, 11:20 pm »
Those of you with huge collections, you don't find yourself running into the problem of poor recordings from constant upgrades to your setups? :o

I know I'm at the point where I'm starting to consider going through my collection to separate and maybe sell all the average, mediocre, poor, and horrible recordings I have :cry:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2003, 11:42 pm »
I keep poor recordings if the musical content is worthwhile.  On the other hand, I have a few "great" recordings that just suck musically.  Most of the collection is of average recorded quality.  I find on the right system (mine :-) ) even the average stuff sounds quite good.  The trick is to have a system that is revealing, but not analytical or bright.  Makes those less than pristine recordings MUCH more enjoyable.  JMHO.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2003, 11:54 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono
Those of you with huge collections, you don't find yourself running into the problem of poor recordings from constant upgrades to your setups? :o

I know I'm at the point where I'm starting to consider going through my collection to separate and maybe sell all the average, mediocre, poor, and horrible recordings I have :cry:

Don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but I play some of the mediocre CD's on a secondary system (actually it's my sad excuse for a home theater---an Onkyo receiver with some JBL in-walls that're hooked up tp the TV/DVD).  I also carry a boombox when I work.

I used to play mediocre LP's in the garage, but not anymore.

I agree with you that some CD's are virtually unplayable on the main system.

Sa-dono

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2003, 12:21 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder

Don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but I play some of the mediocre CD's on a secondary system (actually it's my sad excuse for a home theater---an Onkyo receiver with some JBL in-walls that're hooked up tp the TV/DVD).  I also carry a boombox when I work.

Yeah..that is a definite option. I just keep expanding my gear to the point where I ponder selling/giving away the gear that would allow the mediocre CD's to sound okay. The other options is keeping those CD's for the car. I do still love some of the CD's for the music itself, but the experience of great CD's you love on a great system is just intoxicating :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2003, 01:38 am »
I normally tend to replace my CDs when better sounding/remastered versions come out.  Usually I sell the old disc, but lately (with the controversy surrounding new discs being recorded into digital clipping) I've kept the old version, just in case.

I've got about 750 CDs, give or take, 350 DVDs, maybe 75-100 LPs (sadly, with no table).  Add to that about 30 mixed SACDs & DVD-A.

I said you could counts DVDs & LDs, Brian! :P   I wanna get a warrant to search your house for Britney CDs!  I think you're holding out on us!

Great, Nathman:  you're on the only desert island with DSL!  Aren't we all in luck! :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2003, 04:15 am »
About 600ish....always get rid of the ones that I don't listen to after a while so it has stayed at 600 for a while.  About 250-300 LPs.

cjr888

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2003, 05:09 am »
Quote from: Sa-dono

If I had to sell all the average and poor recordings I had, I'd have a tiny percentage of my music collection.  I have varying degrees of 'poor recordings' -- I could talk about stuff recorded from the 1920's where you know you're never getting a good recording, early digital, live shows with poor recording conditions or multiple generation analog, a lot of pop material, absolute abuse of compression, or local artists dealing with a horrible studio and mastering process.

But I bought the stuff because I like the music and bought the system so I could listen it..  As upgrades occur or have occured, if it renders music you love unlistenable, then the problem is that your equipment needs to change and not your music.

I have definitely found plenty of albums that I _love_ that can be pretty bad to listen to at home.  Then again the same can be said about a lot of early 20's and 30's music that I love that will never get any better.  Either way, if you have all the toys to listen to music, consider the music, music type, and quality of recordings as part of your system synergy.  Add one more item to the balancing act I guess....

PJ

« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2003, 04:52 pm »
About 200, but many are double CD's..so probably only about 150 albums.

I also have many cd's (live sets, or out of print discs) which are mp3 based as I cant obtain the CD, or it was never released on CD...ie Oakenfolds Goa Silver mix (live) or John Digweed/Sasha - Renaissance Vol. I. (OOP)

Having said that, I probably only listen too about 20 of them on a regular basis.

bundee1

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2003, 05:28 am »
about 300 cds, 100 dvds, 1LP

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2003, 01:12 pm »
Quote from: bundee1
about 300 cds, 100 dvds, 1LP

Hope the LP is a good one.