Suggestions sought for a good Router!

JohnR

Re: Suggestions sought for a good Router!
« Reply #40 on: 21 Nov 2014, 02:49 pm »
Use a Dewalt plunge router. (Experiment with some scrap wood, until you can get a grasp on how to control it. Seriously. )

Which model is that one? 618?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 21 Nov 2014, 02:57 pm »
Yes, it looks to be the same as mine, and it is a DW618.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #42 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:38 pm »
So I went to my local hardware store and took a pic of the Dewalt 6184 fixed base router $159.00. Then I went to HD, spoke with the 'pro', and furtively took 3 pics. The HD 'pro'--even after I told him knowledgeable friends had warned me away from Ryobi--suggested I buy the Ryobi model if I wanted low price, and the Rigid model if I wanted best bang for the buck. He said Ryobi used to have problems, but they had been corrected. (He also admitted he doesn't own a router!)

HD had 4 models that I deemed worth looking at (even the cheap Ryobi):

Ryobi $59.97 (Seems too cheap....how many corners were cut to attain such a low price?)
Rigid $179.00 (Pro said this was best choice as it has a plastic view window.)
Porter Cable Model ???? $149.00
Bosch Model MRF23EVS $219.00

I'm waiting...forever apparently... for my pics to transfer over to my computer in order to upload them here. Don't hold your breaths waiting. It only took 15 minutes....I'll bet they appear sideways....

I did not get a great feeling of experience from the pro. Rather, I got the feeling he had been trained to offer best advice, but not from personal experience. He doesn't seem to know a lot more about routers than I know.

More later...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:49 pm »
Don't do the Ryobi.  :duh:
I lost count of how many got replaced under warranty. When the last one died out of warranty, I was dumb enough ("poor enough") to buy another one. Of course it died just out of warranty to. Then I moved to Craftsman, and repeated the process of routers dying halfway though cutting out a speaker hole. It was then I bit the bullet and bought a Dewalt. With the money I've spent on Ryobis, Craftsmens and the Dewalt, I could have bought one of those industrial units that are made to be handed down to the next generation.

Just do it, and be done.

Bob

randytsuch

« Reply #44 on: 21 Nov 2014, 05:34 pm »
Don't do the Ryobi.  :duh:
I lost count of how many got replaced under warranty. When the last one died out of warranty, I was dumb enough ("poor enough") to buy another one. Of course it died just out of warranty to. Then I moved to Craftsman, and repeated the process of routers dying halfway though cutting out a speaker hole. It was then I bit the bullet and bought a Dewalt. With the money I've spent on Ryobis, Craftsmens and the Dewalt, I could have bought one of those industrial units that are made to be handed down to the next generation.

Just do it, and be done.

Bob

:thumb:
Yep, cheap power tools cost more over the long term.

I have a mix of power tools now, DeWalt table saw (little one), Milwaukee sander, bosch pony router (need to buy a big router one of these days) and bosch jig saw.
Knock on wood, but I've not had any problems with any of this stuff.  Honestly, I don't use it much compared to what its designed for, and I expect these tools to last a long time.

When I'm looking for tools, I typically do web searches, and look at different reviews, and see what the consensus is.  And figure that the better tools are made to be used every day, so for guys like us should last a long, long time.

I also don't trust the "experts" at the local big box stores, you have no idea what their real background is.

Randy

mresseguie

« Reply #45 on: 21 Nov 2014, 05:58 pm »
Randy,

"And figure that the better tools are made to be used every day, so for guys like us should last a long, long time."

I'm counting on this being my single router purchase that I'll have in 15 or 20 years.  Other than my training in period to learn how to use it, I suspect I'll use it just a few times each year.

"I also don't trust the "experts" at the local big box stores, you have no idea what their real background is."

I'm not sure of the power tools pro's background, but the garden pro used to have Klipschorn's. He knew exactly why I was looking at resonance damping materials. He's approx. middle-aged and loves good sound. I told him about AC, but I have no idea if he registered. [You reading this post, bro?]

Bob,

I understand. I'll probably get the Dewalt 618 plunger kit. It's on Amazon  [url]http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618PK-12-AMP-Fixed-Base-Variable-Speed/dp/B00006JKXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416591125&sr=8-1&keywords=plunge+routers/url]  for $197.99.

How the heck do I change the link to a "here" like some folks post?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #46 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:19 pm »
Might take a minute and look at who owns what company i.e. Dewalt is a Black and Decker that is owned by Stanley :scratch:

If you are in the Big Box Store you can see the resemblances in the product line.  And even more so in the Battery pack that almost fir that outer brand :duh:

But with you limited use as ling as you don't drop it or the mice eat the cord  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #47 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:33 pm »
Look at the base in the first pic, It's completely machined on the inside for the motor to fit into  :thumb:, I like that.
Hmm what brand was that, Porter?
Looks like it say's Grip Rite on the box?

mresseguie

« Reply #48 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:36 pm »
That's the Dewalt 6184 I found at my local hardware store. It's $159.00 without the plunger attachment. I didn't ask about attachments yesterday, but I will today. If they'll sell the kit to me for close to what Amazon is selling it, I'll buy it here.

WireNut

« Reply #49 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:40 pm »
Oh, I see the number on it now.
I like it, Dewalt is good stuff  :thumb:.

mresseguie

« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:56 pm »
"Might take a minute and look at who owns what company i.e. Dewalt is a Black and Decker that is owned by Stanley"

Alan,

Now why do you wanna go and scare me that way?  :nono:

:lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 21 Nov 2014, 07:09 pm »
Granted, some companies own other companies, but that doesn't necessarily affect the overall quality or reliability of them all.

For example, FIAT owns, Chrysler, Maserati, Jeep and Ferrari.
Does that mean they're all "the same"?
No. They all have their own individual standards for production tolerances, reliability, etc..etc..etc...

Just a thought.  :wink:

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #52 on: 21 Nov 2014, 07:54 pm »
JohnR,

Yea, 618....

richidoo

« Reply #53 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:22 pm »
I got my Porter Cable router at HD. It is very high quality build and I would buy it again. HD sells Porter Cable router bits and accessories which I also use with good results. The height adjustment mechanism is similar concept as the Dewalt you show above, but the DeWalt looks better designed, bigger grooves, bigger plastic glides. Another thing to check out is how it feels when you pick it up, turn it upside down, is it easy to grab and handle, weighted and balanced nicely. In time you will get comfortable enough to flip it upside down to put it down between cuts. You want it to be able to move around, not awkward and unbalanced in your hands. Also make sure the off switch is easy to find and use quickly. Porter cable is all those things, as is the Dewalt.

Ridgid is another good brand, sold only at HD. They have an active, helpful forum of loyal owners. I have Ridgid table saw and a portable drill. I'd buy from them again.

WireNut

« Reply #54 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:52 pm »
Buy 1/2 shank carbide bits when possible. Some of them can get large, especially chamfering bits and can be expensive but are well worth it in the long run.
High Speed steel bits burn up to easy.

Oh BTW, 1/2" or 1/4" shank carbide endmills like machinist use work great in routers also.
I get them thru work but they can be ordered thru companies like MSC industrial supply also.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/lookahead/?searchterm=carbide+endmills&hdrsrh=true

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 21 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm »
Oh BTW, 1/2" or 1/4" shank carbide endmills like machinist use work great in routers also.
I get them thru work but they can be ordered thru companies like MSC industrial supply also.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/lookahead/?searchterm=carbide+endmills&hdrsrh=true
That's a great tip, thank you!
I use quite a few spiral bits for cutting grooves, and these seem to be cheaper than upcut/downcut spiral bits.
>>> Like this one <<
Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob

WireNut

« Reply #56 on: 21 Nov 2014, 10:28 pm »
Right, Glad I could help  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 21 Nov 2014, 10:32 pm »
Amen Brother.
That's a MUCH larger selection of sizes/shapes/depths than the average router bit catalog I've seen.   :thumb:

randytsuch

« Reply #58 on: 21 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm »
That's a great tip, thank you!

+1
I wouldn't have thought about using endmills in a router, but it makes a lot of sense.

More money to spend on tools. :lol:

Randy

WireNut

« Reply #59 on: 23 Nov 2014, 09:57 pm »
One more tip on using endmills for routers.
If anyone orders endmills from MSC industrial supply or any other vendor just buy un-coated carbide endmills.
Coated carbide endmills get really expensive and are designed for hard steels like stainless and inconel.
For wood, you don't need coated endmills, just un-coated carbide which are a lot cheaper then coated.