Introduction

Jhoefen

Introduction
« on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:52 am »
Hello,
Firefighter here from the midwest! Just made my first hifi purchase .  For the last 15 years i have been listening to music through my tv speakers! Just bought a pair of he-500 headphones and thought i might start looking for a ifi micro idsd to pair with it.  Any opinions?

Thanks!

Jeff

Phil A

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:16 am »
Welcome to AC!

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:18 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:21 am »
Welcome ! Post your inquiry in the headphone Circle . Lots of great folks there.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2016, 02:22 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2016, 03:15 am »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. Jeff

Guy 13

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2016, 05:16 am »
Hi Jeff, welcome to the Audio Circle. I’m using the HiFiman HE-400i’s paired with a
Graham Slee Solo MK lll headphone amp at the present time, it sounds pretty darn
good. Stirman is right, there is Headphone Mania Circle on this forum which is a
great place to start..

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2016, 01:16 pm »
Welcome

It's been decades since I owned headphones (back in the dorms they were a perfect choice), but from what I know the HE-500 offer world class performance.  You really didn't mess around with your first jump into the audio pond did you?

Going the headphone route (versus speakers) makes life much simpler.  No worries about the room, technology options are more limited, various domestic factors don't apply, and cost is much less for the same level of detail.  But you're tethered, and imaging is compromised.

Comfort is critical for long term use and the HE-500 are big and heavy but well balanced, yet can still be fatiguing to wear.  They're over the ear sealed design, so aren't for folks who are very warm blooded or sweat a lot.  Even though it's a sealed design it provides minimal isolation from outside sound, which is another personal preference issue.  Thankfully after market ear pads are available (look into Focus) for these popular high-end headphones.

The HE-500 use planar magnetic technology which is very inefficient, so they require a somewhat powerful amp.  The HE-500 provides a rather polite sound (like classic BBC monitors).  Frequency response is even handed and immerses you into the music (not a reproduction of it) but aren't the most dynamic headphone out there.  Presentation is smooth, full, natural, organic, textured, detailed, and laid back with great all around bass. 

I like the detachable cable feature as the stock cables are rather light weight, microphonic, and kinks easily.  Overall build quality is good.  Being such a good headphone you'll not want to skimp on quality of amplification or source as they deserve it and will reveal every shortcoming. 

I'd start by looking at the Schiit Lyr headphone amp ($449 - very reasonable, high quality/output, American made).  Head-fi.org is an excellent place to find amplifier recommendations.  The state of digital inputs is a fast moving target, so best to separate it from the amp.  To match the quality of the HE-500 you could easily spend $4,000 for source + DAC.

Jhoefen

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2016, 04:40 pm »
Wow!! Thanks for the replies...wasnt expecting so many..i am 6'7" 280lbs with a big head..i know from reviews the headphones weight 500 grams (1 lb.) i think in time i will get used to the weight as i am putting sound quality above all other considerations.. My reason for the ifi idsd is that it is powerful plus has a good dac in a semi- portable case..my intentions are to be able to take it to work and home, possibly take it portable style if i can handle the weight!  As far as cables go, mine is coming with a custom made balanced cable with 6.3 mm adapter.. SO hopefully good enough for now as this set up will cost me $800.. Not a lot  for hifi but a lot for a firefighter salary! Thanks again for the hellos, info and opinions, its all apprecited.

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2016, 05:01 pm »
Hi (Again) Jeff.
WOW !
6'7'' and 280 lbs your are quite an imposing firefighter,
have ever consider a career in football. :lol:

Guy 13
I'm (only) 5'5'' and 132lbs so I am a midget compared to you.  :lol:

Jhoefen

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2016, 05:39 pm »
No football for me..chose volleyball instead! Had the privilege of winning a D1 championship at penn state. Long time ago though.. Nice to meet you

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2016, 08:58 pm »
No football for me..chose volleyball instead! Had the privilege of winning a D1 championship at penn state. Long time ago though.. Nice to meet you

Congratulation Jeff  :thumb:

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2016, 11:29 pm »
iFi is high value, feature packed gear.  Didn't realize you were trying to go between home and work, in which case you may need more isolation than the stock ear pads provide. 

Unclear as to what you mean by "portable style".  Do you mean while walking/traveling by car/bus/plane?  In that case you'd need a source too.  What you might want to look into are DAPs (Digital Audio Players) that can also connect to an audio system.  Top marks (as of May 2015) go to Askell & Kern AK Jr ($500), Fiio X-3 2nd generation ($220 w/SD card), HiFiMan HM-901 ($980), and Sony NW-Z2X ($980).  Features vary.

Jhoefen

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2016, 12:30 am »
That is what i meant.. Right now i have lots of apple lossless files on my iphone but eventually (as money permits) i will upgrade my player. I dont really worry about isolation at work because i have plenty of space and my own room!