Subwoofer With Paradigm Atoms

lextek

Subwoofer With Paradigm Atoms
« on: 18 Dec 2014, 12:05 am »
I've got a little set-up I. A spare bedroom 13x9.  Using some old Atoms.  They sound really, good.  Just thinking about adding a sub.  Now the room has wall-wall carpeting.  Would a front firing sub be a better choice over a downward firing?  Any suggestions? Thanks

FireGuy

Re: Subwoofer With Paradigm Atoms
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:29 am »
Budget?  I've heard (own) both front and down designs, both are fine for me.   

lextek

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:32 am »
Budget?  I've heard (own) both front and down designs, both are fine for me.   

Since we're talking Atoms <$400

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2014, 01:38 am »
Since we're talking Atoms <$400

Some good deals on both designs at "Accessories4less.com".  I've used them on numerous occasions on refirbs with good success.  Plenty to choose from.

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2014, 07:20 pm »
I had Paradigm Mini MK IVs years ago, with the matching Paradigm sub. I believe it was the PWS-1000 or PSW-1000?? So you might want to look for one of those, or they also made the PWS-800 which might mate with the atom better.
Never heard the Atom but the Minis sounded great.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2014, 10:35 am »
Check out Parts Express for cheaper subs, SVS for better ones.

Most advise using sealed subs for music.  Front vs. bottom firing makes little difference as bass waves are huge (1130 ft/frequency in Hz) so for instance 40 Hz is nearly 30 feet long.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2014, 11:21 am »
Dayton/PE sub1200 - should be $109 try save10 on coupon code at check out.

Decent sub, I had one.

Good sub for $350 based on others' reviews.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2014, 03:47 pm »
If you can stretch for an SVS, their products and especially their service are truly outstanding. They have the best warranty around, plus their trade-up program is something to also consider. I've traded-up 4 times. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2014, 05:48 pm »
The Atoms don't go very low, instead of a sub, I think you are far better off with an HSU mid bass module. This will fill in your bottom end with top quality bass. I'm talking about actual bass tones that are audible to the ear; but it won't address subterranean bass, the kind you feel.

Although many subs have specs can reach high enough to close the gap with the Atoms on paper, the quality of mid bass they produce is very poor. Subwoofers are designed for subterranean bass. If you want clean, articulate and defined bass that sounds good to the ear, then the HSU MBM is your best bet.

Someone recommended it to me and I initially blew it off for the same reason most people would, because it doesn't go low enough. Well having read about someone else's experience with it got me thinking otherwise. In the link below, you can read a very detailed account about that experience. That same person owns two top end HSU subs as well, and he repeatedly states that if he had to choose between his subs and the MBM, the choice would be easy and he would go with the MBM.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1360355711

It's a fairly long read, but it's worth the time and effort. An MBM will cost more than most of the above recommendations, but it provide with a bass experience none of the other options can. Moreover, it can be integrated with any speaker.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2014, 06:03 pm »
The older Atoms actually have very good bass to about 70hz where they begin to roll off gradually with the help of a bump in their midbass. I've owned both Atom v2's and v6's. The older Atoms up to about v5 actually sound more full than you'd expect and really don't need help in the midbass. After v5, the speakers still have a bit of fullness, but they have a cleaner sound overall so the midbass is perhaps in better balance. Nice little speakers, really.

Many of SVS's subs actually measure to have a flat response way out to 150hz and higher. Both Audioholics' measurements and SVS's measurements show this.

I don't work for SVS, but again, support my recommendation.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2014, 06:27 pm »
Measuring things on paper isn't tantamount to the experience of hearing with the ear. A sub that measures flat up to 150 hz or higher isn't indicative of quality bass. There's more to it that that.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2014, 06:31 pm »
Measuring things on paper isn't tantamount to the experience of hearing with the ear. A sub that measures flat up to 150 hz or higher isn't indicative of quality bass. There's more to it that that.

BTW, I am familiar with the older Atoms. They really could benefit with some mid bass augmentation. In fact most speakers could benefit from mid bass augmentation. Once you've experience great bass, there's no turning back.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 26 Feb 2015, 01:14 pm »
The Atoms don't go very low, instead of a sub, I think you are far better off with an HSU mid bass module. This will fill in your bottom end with top quality bass. I'm talking about actual bass tones that are audible to the ear; but it won't address subterranean bass, the kind you feel.

Although many subs have specs can reach high enough to close the gap with the Atoms on paper, the quality of mid bass they produce is very poor. Subwoofers are designed for subterranean bass. If you want clean, articulate and defined bass that sounds good to the ear, then the HSU MBM is your best bet.

Someone recommended it to me and I initially blew it off for the same reason most people would, because it doesn't go low enough. Well having read about someone else's experience with it got me thinking otherwise. In the link below, you can read a very detailed account about that experience. That same person owns two top end HSU subs as well, and he repeatedly states that if he had to choose between his subs and the MBM, the choice would be easy and he would go with the MBM.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1360355711

It's a fairly long read, but it's worth the time and effort. An MBM will cost more than most of the above recommendations, but it provide with a bass experience none of the other options can. Moreover, it can be integrated with any speaker.

Excellent, quality advice.

Best,
Anand.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2015, 03:29 pm »
  Does not PSB offer a dedicated sub for that model or the new model.

charles

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2015, 07:48 pm »

Never said it was tantamount. I was merely pointing out that getting a good blend with a sub (with extended and flat response like SVS) should make the task easier. Not to mention, it isn't like SVS makes junk. Audioholics likes them very much in their listening and non-listening tests. Not to mention, their tests have shown very complimentary results to SVS's published tests. I know tests on paper don't inform our ears, but it is nice to see that SVS makes good quality & honest products at very reasonable prices.

Keep in mind the OP has Paradigm Atoms, not Wilson Duettes. A small SVS would be a good choice, especially for a modest setup. That's all I'm saying.

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2015, 09:12 pm »
Given the msrp of Atoms, I would think any small (8-10) sub a decent start.

I have owned them a couple of times through the years.  I have had good success with older Yamaha subs.  There were some that were popular in the past 3-5 years that are now around 100 used.

Paradigm makes subs that match up for sure, but the $ might prove too much. 
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 11:14 pm by mcgsxr »

tesseract

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm »
I have the SVS SB-1000 subwoofer here right now for review (I am a reviewer for Home Theater Shack) and have tried it out up to 150 Hz. It does a fine job meshing with the Prime Satellites or the Vapor Audio Sundogs at that crossover frequency. The SB-1000 is super tight and would be a great match for the Atoms, or any other small satellite that needs crossed over higher than normal.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the ported PB-1000 would be comfortable up high, too, plus it hits a little harder (according to SVS, I haven't heard the PB).

milford3

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2015, 05:15 pm »
Also check out Outlaw.  I have heard an Outlaw sub and was stunned by its presentation.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

Quiet Earth

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2015, 07:16 pm »
Stand mounted speakers have the hardest time reproducing bass weight because they don't have enough room boundaries helping them. We make matters worse by pulling the speakers out into the room. Even big floor standing speakers can sound anemic when they are pulled to far out into the room.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;image=114534

Something that you might try is to move the speakers all the way up against the wall, and just to the very inside edge of each corner trap. That should give you a lot more mid bass weight and you might not even want a subwoofer after that. Then toe the speakers in, aiming the tweeters toward your lap or in front of your knees. That will give you most of the stereo depth back. Don't worry about the cabinet in between the speakers, all of the stereo effect happens in front of that (where your ears are).

Now, I realize that the stereo imaging aficionados will hate this suggestion, but try it for fun anyway just to see how much bass your little speakers are capable of. Also, try to listen to the stereo field as something that happens in front of you as opposed to being all wrapped up inside of it. Try to live with it for a week or so if you like the improvement in bass response.

Another suggestion is to place yourself right up against a wall (or in a corner), with the speakers out in the room. This would require a total room rearrangement though.