New to discless audio, am I on the right track?

Muser

• I post at audiogon as muser, and write for PFO.
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Re: New to discless audio, am I on the right track?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2014, 08:50 pm »
Probably a really dumb question.

I have an Oppo BDP105, an iPhone and the Media Control app loaded on my iPhone. The Oppo
is on a network with my PC, which runs XP.

Media Control sees my hard drive and network and I can scroll through all of my folders, YAY!
FWIW, all of the files are from my CDs ripped to a hard drive. Oh, last tidbit, I can access and play
all of those files with my Oppo's remote. However, the Oppo makes me scroll one song/folder at
a time, so I have to scroll from say, Abba, Bob Dylan, (The) Carpenters, before I can access a Devo song/album.

Problem. I cannot play any of my files back with my iPhone using Media Control (the iPhone app).

What do I need to do to create permission to play my music?

In advance, thanks,

Larry

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:06 pm »
I actually tried it today for the first time with one of my 103Ds and the iPhone no problem.  I downloaded the Remote Control App first and then it pulled up a message that the Media Control App was related and I downloaded that and was able to play music and see the folders on the hard drive the same as if I had a display turned on.  Your player has to be connected to the network and you need to connect the iPhone to the network.  Mine recognized it automatically but it does have a thing where you can enter the IP address of the player (which shows up on the Oppo remote control app)/

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2014, 09:09 pm »
This is the Remote Control App I was talking about - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oppo-remote-control/id584701552?mt=8

Therefore in my case, since I have multiple players it could display them all (I just turned on the one for now) and it shows the IP address.

jb26

« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2014, 07:22 pm »
Hi,

To share me experiences, whic reflect much of the above, but might help.  I run an old laptop to my dac, and keep my files on a nas.

1. Dbpoweramp is a great program for capturing media.

2. I can't hear a difference between an uncompressed and lossless (flac, aac) file.  The lossless files seem to be better with metadata, and I use AAC so that they play well with iTunes/iPod/iPhone. I can't hear a difference between flac and AAC, but that might be heresy around here.

3. Jriver sounds better than iTunes on a windows laptop. Jremote is very functional for controlling the system, and I control my from my iPad.

4. Loading winserver12 sounds better than win7, and phil's audiooptimizer sounds better again. It is possible to get a 6 month trial of winserver12 from Microsoft, and it can be extended.

5. I have my laptop set up with dual boot option. A winserver12 option for playback, and a win7 option for all the functional stuff like cd ripping and running iTunes which I use to manage iPod music lists. The trick is to manage the library (add/delete songs) through iTunes because it's library doesn't auto update in the same way jriver does and you can avoid dead links to files this way.

6. Adding an internal ssd to the laptop helps reduce noise too.   

7. I've had the nas run over wifi and directly connected with nil difference, so I've gone with what's convenient in my house.

8. Mp3tag is a good programme for managing metadata.

Cheers,

James

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2014, 07:34 pm »
Like the above I use dbPoweramp (to rip CDs_, JRiver and JRemote for my music server into the main system DAC.  For a secondary system I use an old laptop with Teac's HR Audio Player into my Teac DSD DAC. I just bought a $79 Android Tablet about a half hour ago at Sam's Club and will try it in the next day or two for my old BDP-93 in the master bedroom since Android is the platform I need for the older Oppo and it is mainly for the outdoor speakers fed by the master bedroom system so I play music attached to the Oppo hard drive (in a similar fashion as the Oppo Media Player I downloaded in IOS for the BDP-103D).