COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!

Emil

Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!
« Reply #260 on: 25 Nov 2017, 03:32 pm »
"The game" today is Auburn/Alabama.  I love the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry, but the game hasn't been competitive for years now.  Regardless, I do hope you enjoy the game, it has a great tradition, but the game today won't compare to the Iron Bowl matchup.

Oh you mean the world doesn't revolve around the Big 10.  :lol:
For Big 10 fans, "The Game" always referred to the the UM and tOSU game at least to the  MU and tOSU fans.
You are correct that it has not been competitive recently. Last time UM won was in 2011

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #261 on: 26 Nov 2017, 12:16 am »
Woo Hoo! Alabama lost!  Now What?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #262 on: 26 Nov 2017, 01:58 am »
I had a funny feeling that Auburn was going to beat Alabama. Not a lot of evidence they were such a powerhouse with their schedule.\

Then there is Miami. I marveled as they rose up the rankings, not much of a schedule either. Pitt takes care of them.

Notre Dame was humbled by Miami earlier.

Ohio State not that impressive much less Michgan.

Wisonsin has backed into the playoffs?

Mudslide

« Reply #263 on: 26 Nov 2017, 06:44 am »
I had a funny feeling that Auburn was going to beat Alabama. Not a lot of evidence they were such a powerhouse with their schedule.\

Then there is Miami. I marveled as they rose up the rankings, not much of a schedule either. Pitt takes care of them.

Notre Dame was humbled by Miami earlier.

Ohio State not that impressive much less Michgan.

Wisonsin has backed into the playoffs?

Yep, a very wild year in CFB.   :scratch:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #264 on: 26 Nov 2017, 01:49 pm »
Emil may have been right, Ohio State/Michigan might have been a better game than Alabama/Auburn.  Alabama finally ran out of offensive lineman that could block and Auburn's fearsome front four (how's that for a cliche) put Jalen on the run all afternoon.  I thought Michigan played a great game that was almost enough.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #265 on: 26 Nov 2017, 11:47 pm »
Wisconsin should be rated No 1.  Certainly if the beat OSU they should be the undisputed No 1.   They shut out their last 2 opponents and are undefeated.

I don't know why they don't take the top 6 teams, give the top 2 rated teams a bye and have the next 4 teams in a playoff.

Emil

« Reply #266 on: 27 Nov 2017, 07:59 pm »
Wisconsin should be rated No 1.  Certainly if the beat OSU they should be the undisputed No 1.   They shut out their last 2 opponents and are undefeated.

I don't know why they don't take the top 6 teams, give the top 2 rated teams a bye and have the next 4 teams in a playoff.

Wisconsin will get no respect unless they beat Ohio State
Just look at  their schedule.
http://www.uwbadgers.com/mobile/schedule.aspx?schedule=169

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #267 on: 27 Nov 2017, 10:07 pm »
I am well aware of Wisconsin's schedule but they are from a major conference and are unbeaten.  They have a great defense and all the other top 5 teams are suspect and have their weaknesses and bad losses.  However, I agree, it will take a win over OSU for them to be No. 1.

twitch54

« Reply #268 on: 27 Nov 2017, 10:25 pm »

why can't they do like they do for college hoops ?

Emil

« Reply #269 on: 27 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm »
why can't they do like they do for college hoops ?

With 68 teams? :D

8 Teams would be sufficient

Emil

« Reply #270 on: 27 Nov 2017, 11:08 pm »
Who wants to coach Tennessee?

fridays

« Reply #271 on: 28 Nov 2017, 02:35 am »
I can't believe Iowa State just gave their coach 3.5 mill a year for 6 years

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #272 on: 28 Nov 2017, 03:34 pm »
With 68 teams? :D

8 Teams would be sufficient

8 teams would be too many post season games, total of 4.  6 teams with bye's for the top 2 is 3 games.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #273 on: 3 Dec 2017, 05:08 am »
Another great day in College football.

My picks for the playoffs are-

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama

I still don't see OSU making the cut.  Nice win over WI but they still have 2 losses although I think that they could beat Georgia and Alabama which rely on the run.  OSU would get carved up by a good team with a great QB.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #274 on: 3 Dec 2017, 11:43 am »
I'd put OSU in ahead of Alabama.

OSU beat 2 top 10 teams and won the Big Ten conference championship.  One of it's losses was against a shoe in for the BCS playoff (Oklahoma).

Alabama was top ranked mostly due to a flawed ranking system that starts too early in the season and can't knock teams down for weak schedules.  Their top win was against a 3 loss LSU who lost to Troy State and they didn't even play in a conference title game.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #275 on: 3 Dec 2017, 01:52 pm »
I agree JLM, Alabama didn't even win their conference and it would mean two teams from the SEC.  I think when between two teams for the final spot you have to go with the conference winner and I would guess that the committee will also see it that way and pick OSU for the playoffs.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #276 on: 3 Dec 2017, 04:55 pm »
You guy are probably right that OSU will make it ahead of Bama.

Emil

« Reply #277 on: 3 Dec 2017, 06:15 pm »
You guy are probably right that OSU will make it ahead of Bama.

Negative. tOSU is out. Alabama is in

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #278 on: 3 Dec 2017, 07:18 pm »
I pick OU to come out No.1.  Too much offense, can score on anyone. Their defense is playing a lot better. Mayfield has that X factor.  However, the long layoff till the playoff games hurts a lot of teams and puts them out of sync.  OU is peaking right now.  Also, Alabama has had a lot of injuries.  They may be more healthy and they will be more dangerous.

richidoo

« Reply #279 on: 6 Dec 2017, 01:00 am »
We loved seeing NCSU do so well this year, FINALLY!
My oldest is a student there, and maybe my middlest next year too.

Congratulations to Bradley Chubb, for being named yesterday as best college defensive player of the year!

Famous college football family, and family history from Chubbtown, GA.