JRiver hard drive changeover question

Big Red Machine

JRiver hard drive changeover question
« on: 2 May 2015, 06:13 pm »
I use the hard drive on my MS-2 (full), and 2 external hard drives, one full, one almost there.  For back-up I use 2 separate 5 TB HD's (double back-up) for those previously mentioned 3.

I really only use about 3 TB's for all the music and cover art.

I want to switch to using just one of the back-ups as the main source.  So when I go into setup, do I delete the old drives from the list, add the new 5 TB HD, and then what?  How do I automatically tell all the tracks to switch from say, E: drive to G: drive?  Is that a command changeover I can give JR or do I have to select each playlist and manually change?

You gurus of JR must have a less painful method.....

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: JRiver hard drive changeover question
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2015, 06:21 pm »
Pick files > right-click > Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files

Put it in 'Update database to point to new location' mode.

Then use Find & Replace to switch E:\ to D:\ (for example).

You might do a few files before doing them all.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2015, 06:27 pm »
Get a NAS and use current drives as your backup! 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2015, 06:36 pm »
So easy enough for a Playlist. Can I select every damn file and playlist at one time? Do I have to wade through all the playlists one at a time and then all the tracks not in playlists?

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2015, 10:33 pm »
I sometimes switch external hd's. What I do is go to the list on the left side, click on the arrow next to Audio. Then hit the arrow next to Files. There will be a list of extensions (C: D: E: F: etc.) Then click on one of those that you want to listen to.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2015, 01:56 am »
Well this thing is al screwed up now.  Can't seem to get it to recognize the single file folder on the one drive I want to use and it wiped out 3 of my playlists and I am not sure where the master file is to restore them.  With Squeezebox the playlist could be accessed as a word file and restored.  Not sure where to find them in JR.The search function is not helping much.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2015, 02:02 am »
Well this thing is al screwed up now.  Can't seem to get it to recognize the single file folder on the one drive I want to use and it wiped out 3 of my playlists and I am not sure where the master file is to restore them.  With Squeezebox the playlist could be accessed as a word file and restored.  Not sure where to find them in JR.The search function is not helping much.
If you click on File > Export Playlists it will tell you where the file is being placed. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2015, 02:54 am »
Okay.  I restored yesterday's library and recaptured the playlists into m3u files I know how to edit.

Now I have to figure out how to switch everything over to just one hard drive.  Right now it is looking at 4 of them and I don'tknow how to make this happen - give up the old and only look at one source.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2015, 02:57 am »
Okay.  I restored yesterday's library and recaptured the playlists into m3u files I know how to edit.

Now I have to figure out how to switch everything over to just one hard drive.  Right now it is looking at 4 of them and I don'tknow how to make this happen - give up the old and only look at one source.
Do mean Tools > Import?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 3 May 2015, 03:53 am »
Well how do you knock out the old drives and point everything to the new drive w/o mucking up links and playlists?  Shouldn't the above instructions work for repointing playlists to the new single source drive?

I can try it again tomorrow.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2015, 04:10 am »
Pete, that is why i sent you the "move files" instructions.  It updates the media server databse automatically (meaning playlists, etc). You are overthinking this.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2015, 12:30 pm »
Yes, I know.  But when I tried in on 2 playlists they emptied out.

And my question still stands; do I have to individually select each playlist and do the move for each(which I tried and did not work)?  And then for the rest of the music, do I select large batches of files and move them?  Wouldn't it be easier to just disconnect 2 of the drives?

I tried to set up the main music file to be just the single drive I want but the others still are referenced. DO I go to those drives and select all and repoint to the new drive?  Is that simpler?

One thing nice is that no data is really lost by MC in any of this messing around.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2015, 01:50 pm »
do not touch the playlists, only move the drives.  The playlists will automatically follow the drive moves as they are simply macros anyway.

Move whatever drives you need to move. You are simply changing the pointers in the JRiver database file.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2015, 02:20 pm »
Should I just open up all files in the viewer and point them anew then?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2015, 02:26 pm »
Im out of town but will log back in tonight when im home.  Im almost thinking we go back to yesterdays library and start anew. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 4 May 2015, 12:50 pm »
I think I have this figured out now.  Had to load the library and now have to reload some of the playlists. The tracks are being recognized now and the images are tagged and the tracks are found and can be played.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2015, 12:58 am »
Check that.  This thing is totally foobar'd. 

Can I have music down in folders below folders below folders with any name (as in NOT "music")?