Charney Audio Tractrix Horn Builder

rodge827

Re: Charney Audio Big Horn Maker and DIY
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm »
Chris, great to hear you are enjoying them. What do you have in your system? I still can not believe what i heard out of these.Like you said no tricks or super expensive cables, sound treatment, tricks, or power conditioners. Incredible sound! Can not wait to get mine. In the mean time i am building up a dedicated listening room in my new to me house along with 300 other things. LOL

The Maestro uses the Omega RS7 full range driver in my 11x15x8 room.
My current set up is: PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport>Aural Thrills Active Silver Digital Cable>Digital Amplifier Company(DAC) HS Dac>DIY Jena Labs IC>CR Developments 300b Int.Amp>Jena Labs Speaker Cable>Maestro's. I have been auditioning a DAC Stereo Maraschino Int Amp for the last couple of weeks and like what it does with the RS7 driver.

Room treatments are at the first reflection points on side walls and rear wall behind my chair. Maestro's are 6.5'apart and 1' from front wall toed in for the sound to go past my ears over my shoulders. (You will want to toe the Companions to point at your nose)
Power conditioning is a Tripp Lite Double Conversion UPS modified with super quiet Nexus Fans. Power Cords are Aural Thrills Active.

Nice looking speakers. They use the floor/wall boundary to multiply the size of the mouth which is needed for bass. They conform to the smooth taper design philosophy which may mean excess midrange bleed-thru the horn, but the rear mouth will mitigate this.

The Concerto looks an awful lot like the DIY Dalek by Bob Hayes (lat e2006) with a Ron Clarke style diffusor.

dave

The Concerto is modeled after the Carfrae Big Horn.  They look alike but that is where the similarity ends.  The Concerto, Companion, and Maestro are designed to couple with the room for bass extension. The platform under the rear is there to help enhance bass and is necessary with carpet. 
When coupled properly the bass is clean and pure with no room node issues.  No need for a sub or extra bass enhancement, unless the room is too large, and like every other speaker bass augmentation could be necessary.  Charney's demo room is 14x19x9 which is about the size limit for Maestro and Companion. The Concerto can handle a larger room. Charney has done extensive R+D to get the chamber just right and believe me he has! Every time I make it over to Brian's I can't believe my ears.  Music is experienced and engaging not listened to.  Amazing 3D presentation with perfect tonal balance and 0, zip, nada, peaks or Lowther "shout".  That's with digital...vinyl is mesmerizing and completely immersive! Kinda like a 3D movie in a theater (Digital) and the same movie in IMAX (Analog).

If your looking for a great speaker, and live within a couple-a-three hours of Somerset NJ, or can fly into Newark (arrange with Brian to pick you up) it is well worth the trip.  Your ears will thank you!

Chris 

flat4

Re: Charney Audio Big Horn Maker
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2018, 11:17 pm »

The Maestro uses the Omega RS7 full range driver in my 11x15x8 room.
My current set up is: PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport>Aural Thrills Active Silver Digital Cable>Digital Amplifier Company(DAC) HS Dac>DIY Jena Labs IC>CR Developments 300b Int.Amp>Jenabs Speaker Cable>Maestro's. I have been auditioning a DAC Stereo Maraschino Int Amp for the last couple of weeks and like what it does with the RS7 driver.

Room treatments are at the first reflection points on side walls and rear wall behind my chair. Maestro's are 6.5'apart and 1' from front wall toed in for the sound to go past my ears over my shoulders. (You will want to toe the Companions to point at your nose)
Power conditioning is a Tripp Lite Double Conversion UPS modified with super quiet Nexus Fans. Power Cords are Aural Thrills Active.

Sounds like a nice system. I will probably grab a tube amp down the road but just got a Benchmark media DAC3 HGC with the AHB2 amp. Picked up a Cambridge CXC transport. All cabling is from Benchmark also. I have to say the sound from my current cheap floor standers is surprising! There is zero noise from the Benchmark equipment and it is very clean and transparent. I think it os gonna be a nice match with the Companion.

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2018, 03:40 pm »
My neighbors sons are home on winter break and we spent about 5 hours listening yesterday. Both are musicians with a concentration in classical,and couldn’t get enough. They are 19 and 20 so we listened to a lot of great music recorded long before they were born. Landmark rock albums from the 60’s -80’s and jazz from the 40’s -current.

Awesome day!  :thumb:

flat4

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:19 pm »
My neighbors sons are home on winter break and we spent about 5 hours listening yesterday. Both are musicians with a concentration in classical,and couldn’t get enough. They are 19 and 20 so we listened to a lot of great music recorded long before they were born. Landmark rock albums from the 60’s -80’s and jazz from the 40’s -current.

Awesome day!  :thumb:

Spoiling them with the outstanding Charney sound at a young age. Good stuff!

Getting closer to having mine. Sold the Crowns. Thank you ohenry! Have an Outlaw pre/pro next on the chopping block next if anyones interested. Want my Charneys asap! LOL

rodge827

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2018, 01:49 pm »
John Richardson from The Part-Time Audiophile put Charney on the "2017 Best Of List"

Charney Audio Companion Mk2 ($5,850-$9,550 a pair, depending on finish/driver options)

Richardson: The pair I auditioned was configured with a single pair of Voxativ AF 2.6 drivers. The cabinets themselves were horn-loaded using a smooth-horn configuration to eliminate diffraction and reflection. The sound of these transducers, powered by Charney’s own hand-built amplifiers, struck me as just right, as in how real music ought to sound. A company to watch."

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan 2018, 12:59 pm »
Beautiful, but as a former structural engineer looks like it's going to tip over (appears to be front heavy/could fall on it's face, could fall left/right with the tiny outriggers, and rear board needs a spike to combat spongy carpet & pad and to be more substantially weight wise for improved balance/better secured to the cabinet).  As an owner it would drive me crazy.  Sorry.

flat4

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2018, 08:43 pm »
John Richardson from The Part-Time Audiophile put Charney on the "2017 Best Of List"

Charney Audio Companion Mk2 ($5,850-$9,550 a pair, depending on finish/driver options)

Richardson: The pair I auditioned was configured with a single pair of Voxativ AF 2.6 drivers. The cabinets themselves were horn-loaded using a smooth-horn configuration to eliminate diffraction and reflection. The sound of these transducers, powered by Charney’s own hand-built amplifiers, struck me as just right, as in how real music ought to sound. A company to watch."

Good to see Brian get a little well deserved good press. Thanks for sharing!

flat4

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2018, 08:44 pm »
Beautiful, but as a former structural engineer looks like it's going to tip over (appears to be front heavy/could fall on it's face, could fall left/right with the tiny outriggers, and rear board needs a spike to combat spongy carpet & pad and to be more substantially weight wise for improved balance/better secured to the cabinet).  As an owner it would drive me crazy.  Sorry.

All unfounded in my real life hands on test. Believe me i thought the same and checked.

flat4

« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2018, 01:44 am »
Finally going next Friday to pick mine up. :D More to come.

rodge827

« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2018, 07:15 pm »

Looks can be deceiving! Without actually seeing them in person your post is sophomoric at best. Charney’s horns are light in weight and can be knocked over if thumped into, no different than most all stand mounted monitors. However they are designed to be placed near the front wall and close to or in the corners depending on the room and listening preference. This is due to how the horn couples with the room for bass response. I would say with proper placement the horns would normally be out of most traffic areas in a house.

As the bard James William Buffett penned in his song Mañana:

“Don’t try to describe a Kiss concert if you’ve never seen it”....Sorry

rodge827

« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2018, 07:21 pm »
Finally going next Friday to pick mine up. :D More to come.

:thumb:

flat4

« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2018, 01:22 am »
Looks can be deceiving! Without actually seeing them in person your post is sophomoric at best. Charney’s horns are light in weight and can be knocked over if thumped into, no different than most all stand mounted monitors. However they are designed to be placed near the front wall and close to or in the corners depending on the room and listening preference. This is due to how the horn couples with the room for bass response. I would say with proper placement the horns would normally be out of most traffic areas in a house.

As the bard James William Buffett penned in his song Mañana:

“Don’t try to describe a Kiss concert if you’ve never seen it”....Sorry

Love how your system looks! :thumb:

flat4

« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2018, 01:26 am »
So i picked up the Companions last night. Brian spent 3 plus hours with me educating me on positioning these, his past audio equipment adventures and tons of other stuff. Seriously just a top notch human being. Let me say that he has owned tons of equipment and i am talking stuff most of us can only dream of. So i trust hid opinion, advice and guidance on equipment and set up.

As far as how they sound so far.

I am speechless to be honest! I worked on positioning a bit and they just sound incredible! Detail, transparency, speed, timing, decay and bass even at extremely low listening levels. The width, depth and height of the soundstage is outstanding. Like wife sleeping in the bedroom next to the left speaker low level. LOL

I am 18 inches off the front wall before toe in pointed at my nose like Brain recommends. At that point i am 5-1/2 ft to the middle of the drivers width wise and sit 5-1/2 to6-1/2 feet away. They exceed what top monitors and electrostats can do but with bass!

I know Brian really wants me to go the tube route but man my system is sounding incredible right now. Benchmark dac3 hgc and ahb2 amp and cabling along with cambridge cxc transport and mac air book for running tidal. I took the equipment out from between the speakers and it opens things even more imo. Brian suggested putting it back but i am gonna leave it where it is. Next up is dedicated AC lines.

Like i have mentioned one needs to audition these to really appreciate what they have to offer. They really and truly sound like the musicians are in your room.

I am an extremely satisfied client of Charney Audio and feel that the Companion would have been a great purchase at even double the price.

I hope Brian doesn't read the double the price bit. Lol

rodge827

« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2018, 01:34 am »
+1
Welcome to the club  :thumb:
Charney Audio horns are very special indeed!
Brian is a knowledgeable audio guy...he’s been there and done that with so much gear over the years.

Enjoy

flat4

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2018, 05:19 am »
+1
Welcome to the club  :thumb:
Charney Audio horns are very special indeed!
Brian is a knowledgeable audio guy...he’s been there and done that with so much gear over the years.

Enjoy

Thank you Chris! Yes they are very special. I will upgrade the dx55-dx65 but it will be a year or two as i want to enjoy these right now. Hard to believe there is more detail and transparency to be has out of these!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2018, 11:53 am »
flat4,

Single driver:  +1  (I run that too.)

Near-field listening:  +1  (I do that too.)

Benchmark DAC3 & AHB2:  +1  (Very good gear.)

Taking the gear out from between speakers:  +1  (I do that too.)

Dedicated AC lines:  (I have that too, but only did it 'while I was at it' during room construction.  Power aberrations are local (can be due  to your own appliances, old industries sharing your substation, crummy power distribution coming to your house, etc.), so if not a problem I wouldn't waste time/money on it.

flat4

« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2018, 10:17 pm »
flat4,

Single driver:  +1  (I run that too.)

Near-field listening:  +1  (I do that too.)

Benchmark DAC3 & AHB2:  +1  (Very good gear.)

Taking the gear out from between speakers:  +1  (I do that too.)

Thank you JLM. I really feel my combination is on point. I took the gear out from between the speakers when the old speakers were in the system. Only thing i did this weekend was add the Companioin speakers. I do not tale the shotgun approach on changes. One change at a time.
Near-field is sweet. More of a product of room only being 9ft wide. It is 17ft deep but only 7ft ceilings. My wife summed it up and she is not into music/equipment at the audiophile level. She said it sounds so smooth and doesn't strain. She also said it was like wearing headphones. I was like dang. She gets it and i wasn't imagining what i am hearing. LOL

This is an old farm house i just moved into. A200 amp service was installed in 01 but most of the rooms are on one breaker for some reason including all my equipment. Can't even plug in a clock radio as it is all static with it shut off. I will be tackling that project in the next month i hope.

If you are ever near the Scranton, Pa area you are welcome to stop by for a listen.

flat4

« Reply #37 on: 24 Feb 2018, 08:13 pm »
Just an update. The Companions just continue to surprise me and make me smile. They are incredibly coherent and super smooth with 0 listener fatigue! I find i just keep turning up the volume! I just can't get enough and does not what kind of music i hit them with. Classical, jazz, metal, electronica, pop etc..

Combined with my Benchmark amps and dad/pre i couldn't be happier! :thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #38 on: 24 Feb 2018, 08:23 pm »
 Ah yes, another truth seeker becomes aurally enlightened!  8)

Well done Grasshopper!  :thumb:

Dude, glad your loving your Companions!  :D

flat4

« Reply #39 on: 24 Feb 2018, 11:09 pm »
Ah yes, another truth seeker becomes aurally enlightened!  8)

Well done Grasshopper!  :thumb:

Dude, glad your loving your Companions!  :D

Thanks man!  :D

Just got a vm from you. You called during a listening session and i didn't hear the phone. Sitting down for dinner and to watch sx. I will try you tomorrow!