Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .

jimdgoulding

Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .
« on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:01 am »
and just can't get excited and don't think you should be much either :roll:.

dB Cooper

Re: Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:12 am »
Nothing on any of the boxing pages I frequent, with the following exception, including ESPN. Here was the closest thing I could find to a confirmation:
http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-pacquiao-waiting-on-mayweathers-approval--86294

I feel like Charlie Brown with the football every time I read a story such as this. Not gonna get excited, or even interested, until a formal announcement.
Hope it's true, but I will always wish they had fought in their primes instead of now.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2015, 04:14 am »
For one that doesn't follow boxing closely, how far over the hill are these guys?

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2015, 05:08 am »
They can still fight, and well, but both have "lost a step". Mayweather gets hit more than he used to and Pacquiao's work rate has dropped off somewhat.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2015, 01:16 am »
Looks like  the guy running the jumbotron is tired of the BS too:

I'm feeling a little more optimistic although like all boxing fans I've been burned too many times to get excited. The reports do say that they spent an hour talking in Manny's hotel room with Pacquiao's main adviser present and Floyd's adviser on the phone.

For those who haven't seen the video from the Heat game:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2929269/Coming-2015-Floyd-Mayweather-Manny-Pacquiao-attend-NBA-match-Miami-fueling-speculation-mega-fight.html

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2015, 02:19 am »
Yes, and this weekend Manny's camp stirred-up the hype by releasing this training video of him in fighting trim and taking on a larger, stronger opponent :
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=868048836568855&fref=nf

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2015, 02:35 am »
The Fight of the Grandfathers. Who cares? I wouldn't PPV this if it cost a dime.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2015, 11:07 am »
Yes, and this weekend Manny's camp stirred-up the hype by releasing this training video of him in fighting trim and taking on a larger, stronger opponent :
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=868048836568855&fref=nf
Floyd's not that much bigger than Manny, just 1.5" taller by the tape. The fact that the fighters have met- and negotiated- face to face is promising.

There's been more than enough "hype". Sign a GD contract already guys, or I'm going over to Jerry's camp.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2015, 06:10 am »
I think this one is 97% sure to happen.  I would have been really excited about it five years ago.  Now I'm just meh.  I will still be interested in the outcome but both fighters are in decline (if only vs their younger selves- both are still among the best out there in a fairly weak pool of fighters).  This will probably be one of the biggest money fights in the history of boxing which is sad statement on the condition of boxing right now.

Dimfer

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2015, 04:26 pm »
you guys are too late  :D they actually fought in Miami... somehow this video leaked  :lol:

http://youtu.be/2OyhXtoGu3w

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2015, 05:27 am »
That may be as close as we ever get. Hope not. Rob Babcock is right though; it will probably be a real good fight but not the classic it could have been five years ago when both were peaking. It would be virtually impossible for anything to live up to the wait. And Floyd seems content with a legacy that includes every article that will be written about him including the phrase "but he never fought Pacquiao." The assholes advisers that he is listening to seem hell-bent on "negotiating" him out of the biggest payday in boxing history. And this after Floyd called out Manny for May 2. I think it is crystal clear at this point who really wants to make the fight- and who doesn't.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:40 am »
Well, like the rest of you, I'm ready, but I would only pay to see the third one if I'm still interested. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2015, 03:01 am »
Well, about f***ing time.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2015, 11:43 am »
Waaaaaaay too late....doubt it will be a good fight.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:00 pm »
I think it will be a good, if not great, fight.  They are not what they were, but both still have skills.  Mayweather was always going to duck and hide the whole fight and Manny was always going to try and make it a brawl, so i don't see their strategies changing.  They can both still make it through a fight without taking too many rounds off.  What is lacking is Mayweather doesn't have the same speed and Manny doesn't have the same level of production, which may cancel out making for, as I said, a good if not great fight.  I think I'd pay just for the historic value.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2015, 11:06 pm »
PPV may be a record setting $89.95 and possibly another ten for HD, according to news stories. I'm gonna kick in on a fight party.

I think it will be just as competitive as it would have been in 2010, only fought at a somewhat slower pace... and I think Pacquiao benefits more from that.

Mayweather starts out as a 2-1 favorite, which is reasonable considering he's undefeated. In my mind though, it's a pick 'em fight. If Manny can stick to Roach's plan, he can definitely win.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2015, 09:51 pm »
Anybody care to make a prediction and why?  I love the Pacmeister but . .

a) Mayweather is taller/more muscular
b) very, very hard to hit
c) a skilled counter puncher and very fast

Manny will outwork Floyd but will his punches be as meaningful physically or in the eyes of the judges.  Floyd is not only skilled but can LOOK skilled.  He looks like he's practicing generalship and that might weigh some with the judges.

So, I'm pickin Mayweather.  However, if Manny wins, there will be a re-match more certainly I should think and you know what they say about money.  This could be three fights before its over.  We could just be unwitting wall flowers at the richest dance in history. 

I'd much rather there wasn't a re-match clause unless it were for a cut.

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2015, 01:30 am »
Repeating myself here but...
Manny can win if he fights the right fight. This consists of- first and foremost- working the body and not falling into Floyd's trap of tricking guys into headhunting. He shows opponents enough openings so they think, "I can box with this guy!" Once you do that, he's got you. Most fighters take the bait. Pacman may be disciplined enough not to. Floyd gets hit more now. Castillo, Ortiz (until he f***ed up), Mosley (OK, for one round, but he almost KO'd him in that one round), Cotto, a used-up Oscar, and even the totally unskilled Maidana were all able to put varying degrees of pressure on him. Manny is a better pressure fighter than any of those guys. He can do it if he sticks to Roach's fight plan.

Hard to pick against an undefeated, future first-ballot hall of famer, but as I told my nephew, do you know how many "unbeatable" fighters I've seen get beat?

ps- jimdgoulding, there is no rematch clause in the contract.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 16 Apr 2015, 02:10 pm »
dB- love your take.  I'm amazed, however, there isn't a rematch clause (???) which would mean that it's all on the line and fans will see the best fight these guys can produce.  I'll be interested to see if Manny uses your strategy.  I like it.  Manny is my sentimental favorite.  Mayweather my practical one and he will have to fight now if what you say is true.