Headphone amp connection

milford3

Headphone amp connection
« on: 27 Sep 2014, 04:42 pm »
I'm setting up my new Marantz SR 7008 AV and discovered that the SR7008 does not have a tape-out port which I connected my Schitt Lyr to.  What connection should I use with no tape-out option?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Headphone amp connection
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2014, 05:08 pm »
There should be audio out jacks in the back.
neo

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2014, 05:17 pm »
I have RCA audio out jacks that is labeled media player.  I'll give it a try.

steve in jersey

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:23 pm »
I'm guessing that the jacks you'll want to use will be the 2 jacks within the "gangle of surround sound outputs" with a box drawn around them labeled "Front"

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2014, 06:28 pm »
Steve, you saying to connect to pre out front?

steve in jersey

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:22 pm »
Unless you can find another set of RCA jacks on the "back"(which is where the 2 I suggested are) of the Receiver labeled "Stereo" these
are the ones you should use. Let's follow the setup path of whatever you have connected to your Receiver.

Your Lyr amp is looking for the analog output of a player. your player is connected to your receiver which takes the signal preamplifies
it then sends it to the amplifier section to be output. The Lyr does'nt need the output of that section because it's an amplifier, but it does
need the signal from the preamp section of the receiver so it gets the signal from the preamp RCA outputs .

Tape out jacks were basically pass through outputs that were similar to preamp signals from a receiver (the word Front only indicates that ths is the Analog stereo output of the music)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:31 pm »
You may have to set the surround controls to "stereo" or "direct" to get all of the signal to the Lyr.  Otherwise you may only get the front side signals without the center, subwoofer, and whatever surround channel info that is subtracted from the stereo signal.

steve in jersey

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2014, 07:44 pm »
You may have to set the surround controls to "stereo" or "direct" to get all of the signal to the Lyr.  Otherwise you may only get the front side signals without the center, subwoofer, and whatever surround channel info that is subtracted from the stereo signal.

Thanks for adding that, I have'nt used a "Receiver" for music purposes in about 40 years now .

(Now that I think about it though I was under the impression the reason they put the RCA surround outputs on was because they only output the "discrete analog output" whatever was specifically recorded to each channel. I would think DSP on Analog outputs would be difficult, but I will defer to someone who has used a Receiver in the last 40yrs. So I may have just wasted my time theorizing over how this might be) 

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:37 pm »
 My Marantz SR 7008 running for four weeks now.  I just love it!

randytsuch

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2015, 03:36 pm »
My Marantz SR 7008 running for four weeks now.  I just love it!

I thought you were using a Lyr?
That doesn't look like a Lyr to me.

Randy

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2015, 08:13 pm »
Are you calling him a Lyr?

terry parr

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:03 am »
nice pic, milford.  i think you're like me (and a lot of us here) who arn't necessarily always going for a better sound as would be indicated on a graph with a line always pointing further up with each change of a component (but, in one important sense we are.  none of us are satisfied with a step backward in sound quality than what we're used to), but most of us can appreciate a different overall sound quality that changing particular pieces in a setup can bring.

by the way.  nice piece of tube kit you have there.  (musical paradise mp-301 mk3, perhaps?).  (i was gonna say "that's a nice piece that i'd like to plug into", but some people here might take that the wrong way).     

to steve in jersey:  don't automatically dismiss someone plugging in a very good set of headphones into the headphone out of an older, quality  integrated amp.  some of those older japanese-made pieces have very good sounding headphone outs.

and with a couple of the newer japanese offerings that i've seen lately (such as marantz and yamaha) there seems to be a return to making the headphone out an integral part of the overall design of the amp, instead of seeming like the headphone out was a last-minute afterthought.

just remove the jumpers if you're using an integrated and replace those with a quality set of interconnects and you may be surprised at the quality of sound that you can get.  even certain older japanese receivers can have surprisingly good sound through headphones. 

i'd be willing to put the h/p out of a late-70's jvc receiver that i own up against quite a few modern h/p only dedicated amps for overall sound quality.  i know i've enjoyed mine.   

steve in jersey

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2015, 02:04 pm »
Since you mention the"older tube" receivers, I've often wondered what my Sennheiser HD800 would have sounded like
through the tubed "Fisher" receiver that someone installed for my Mom back in the '60s.

I was still a teenager but I still remember the "lush" sound that it had playing LPs through a Garrard TT w/ a B & O cartridge. It couldn't
had more than 15 watts rms (but these are "tube" watts) . I can't imagine any modern day "Dynamic" headphone that wouldn't just "sing"
using this receiver. (This was about the time the inexpensive SS receivers were making their appearance that a lot of us "thought" were "just the bee's knees; it was new so it had to be better" ) (which reminds me of a J. Mitchell verse "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone")

(Heh,heh,he.... today I'm planning on ordering a matched pair of NOS 12AX7 tubes for my Fosgate Signature HP amp as my HD800 sounds pretty good through that. I'm going to try to be frugal & not spend more than $160 for the set)

terry parr

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2015, 04:09 am »
steve, it sounds like you got your ears "tuned" and conditioned early as far as appreciating the difference that good sounding components can make as far as enjoying music.  (or, maybe you didn't realize what you had).  until you went over to someone else's house and listened to an album on their equipment that wasn't quite as good.  my parents weren't as tuned-in as that.  neither one of them were music collectors. (yes, there were albums in the house and my growing interest in album collecting as a teenager wasn't discouraged), but i really have older brothers of my friends at the time for really lighting my interest (and letting me hear how much of a difference better-quality components could make).   

one of the things i thought about last night when i was researching milford's tube h/p amp.  (stylish-looking little bugger, isn't it?) is that he'll probably be spending some cash on this new toy of his once the tube rolling starts and he begins to hear differences between various tubes.  but, hey.  this is one of the things that makes ths hobby enjoyable.   i'm a little bit envious and tempted to do the same and get into the tube (game/madness). 

this tube h/p amp is rated to output 6 1/2 watts in class A?  some dedicated h/p amps that i've read about online list their output in milliwatts!
so this musical paradise shouldn't have any trouble driving an audeze (or pretty much any other) phone out there.

he'll have fun with it.     

terry parr

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:48 am »
it's interesting to read a little history about fisher.  i guess early-to mid-60's was really the companys' heyday.  but they are known for sticking with their tube-based designs even though the consumer electronic preferences of most buyers was going japanese solid-state.  or, you could say japan was flooding the u.s. market with solid-state electronics, as most of these companies were more interested in numbers (units sold), rather than high-quality.  not all of them, of course.  there are always exceptions. 

but avery fisher started that company in 1937 it says and the company is generally regarded as the one that introduced "separates." 

the article i read really didn't give a good time-line as to when japanese electronics began to really pour into the u.s. market, but at least in the beginning of this fisher stuck to their guns and continued to produce quality.   

for a while, anyway.  i believe in '67 (my tab closed on the article and i can't refer to it while i'm typing this)  fisher was sold to emerson.  and this is probably when fisher was no longer fisher anymore, even though it said avery fisher stayed on as a consultant (even after emerson sold to a japanese company). 

some of the history that i was reading said that one of their amps sold for a "whopping" $367.00 back in 1964.  and, i guess that was real money back then, considering what kind of car you could get for $3,000.00.

interesting stuff.  so, avery fisher sold as early as 1967.  don't know if he was thinking that he was seeing "the writing on the wall", or not.       

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2015, 01:52 pm »
I'm setting up my new Marantz SR 7008 AV and discovered that the SR7008 does not have a tape-out port which I connected my Schitt Lyr to.  What connection should I use with no tape-out option?

My question was how to connect my Schiit Lyr to the Marantz 7008.  I do not use the Marantz for headphone listening.  I use the Lyr.  I hope this clears the issue.

« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2015, 06:36 pm by milford3 »

steve in jersey

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:41 pm »
My question was how to connect my Schiit Lyr to the Marantz 7008.  I do not use the Marantz for headphone listening.  I use the Lyr.  I hope this clears this issue.

Milford3,

I'm sorry if somehow I did'nt answer your question clearly & apologize if you had to find other means of connecting you Lyr to your music.

I did decide to look at this further, as it is actually a pretty simple solution to connecting your Lyr to the Marantz(having found a picture of the back of the Marantz 7008 that I could Zoom). So here it is, should you decide to have another go at it.

There is a group of RCA outputs on back of the receiver that have a white outlined section around them . There is a section that says "preamp" or "pre" outputs. The RCA set you want to use are marked "Front" (it really is nonsense that these aren't marked "Stereo"(which is honestly all they are)  They are "discrete analog outputs"J of whatever signal is being played through the Receiver. Connect your interconnects from these RCAs to your Lyr & you're in "Bidness"

Just remember it is the "designation" of whatever the signal being played is the only thing that matters whenever you are using "Analog"
outputs, so if the other outputs aren't used what does that make the "Front" outputs (Pay attention , Marantz & others incorrectly labeling
these output!) S t e r e o  (I'm curious does the "Owner Manual" make any mention of this ? if not that's a disgrace !)

Once again, sorry I didn't check back on how you made out !

milford3

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2015, 06:53 pm »
I connected the Lyr to the media player out port which is not looped.  It works just fine.

steve in jersey

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:10 pm »
Well , I'm glad you're not "stuck" in any case !

terry parr

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2015, 04:14 am »
my apologies for going completely off the topic.

none of my "contributions" were of any help, and didn't get you any closer to answering your original question (as i realized when you re-posted the question). 

but, it sounds like you're good to go, now with steve offering some helpful advice (that you could actually use!)

enjoy the new set-up!