Bamboo LGK 1.0 build

jeffh

Bamboo LGK 1.0 build
« on: 13 Mar 2015, 03:38 pm »
I finally got started on my LGK 1.0 build so I thought I would start a build thread.    I plan to use some Bamboo veneer I have from a great deal I found on craigslist last year.

Here are a few pictures of the glue up.  The flatpack from SUBassemble is very well made.

« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2021, 05:50 pm by jeffh »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Bamboo LGK 1.0 build
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2015, 07:46 pm »
Don't make the mistake I did. Finish them before installing the drivers and wiring them up. 

Mine sound great but, since I have never been willing to do without for the time it would take finish them, look terrible.

Mike

cody69

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2015, 11:12 pm »
Nice build Jeff... be sure to post pics when you have the veneering complete.

Mine sound great but, since I have never been willing to do without for the time it would take finish them, look terrible.
Mike, maybe try the DuraTex finish -- Danny and Ben posted pics in the original thread. It goes on fast so you'll not be without them for long.

jeffh

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm »
Here is a picture of the filter....

jeffh

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2015, 01:01 pm »
Nice build Jeff... be sure to post pics when you have the veneering complete.

Will do. I have made some good progress. More pictures coming.

jeffh

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2015, 01:16 pm »
Cabinets glued up and the No Rez installed.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:01 pm »
This picture brings back some memories. The LGK was my first-ever DIY build. Given my carpentry skill, it was a challenge for me. I used two coats of a Duratex-like paint to help mask imperfections.

I think you'll enjoy your new LGKs.

Michael

jeffh

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2015, 10:13 pm »
I wanted to do something to make these speakers unique, so I decided to tilt them back a few degrees.  To do this, I took a 1" thick piece of MDF and split it corner to corner on my band saw.  I'll glue these wedges to the top and bottom of each speaker.

jeffh

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2015, 03:56 pm »
I made some progress and was able to glue the wedges to the top and bottom to make the speakers tilt back a few degrees.

jeffh

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2015, 08:47 pm »
I have the Bamboo veneer applied to 5 sides, so I need to install the magnets that will hold the grills before I glue the veneer on the fronts.

Here the magnets are installed with epoxy and I painted the driver recess black before I put the veneer on the front.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2015, 12:55 am »
Bamboo is going to look really nice, can't wait to see some pics.

Greg

bdp24

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:08 am »
I love how you put a wedge on the top too, to keep it and the bottom parallel and horizontal!

jeffh

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2015, 02:49 pm »
I finished the Bamboo Veneer.  Here are a few pictures.  I think they turned out pretty nice.  The Bamboo veneer was a real challenge when trimming.  It was easy to fray the little strands of grass that make up the veneer. I just had to take my time.

chip

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2015, 03:39 pm »
Looks nice - what color you going with?

jeffh

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2015, 07:46 pm »
I love how you put a wedge on the top too, to keep it and the bottom parallel and horizontal!
Thanks bdp24

jeffh

« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2015, 07:48 pm »
Thanks bdp24
I have really been struggling with the finish, so I am not sure exactly what I am going to do.  I have started making several samples with some scrap pieces to narrow it down.

cody69

« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:01 pm »
Nicely done. A very nice clean build.

I have really been struggling with the finish, so I am not sure exactly what I am going to do.

No first-hand experience finishing bamboo veneer. I like the bright look, so I'd probably avoid an oil finish that would darken and stay with a water base finish that would stay light.

cody69

« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:09 pm »
BTW, at first I wasn't sure how that shape would translate into the final design. Now that you've got the veneer on them, I really like 'em!
With your veneer treatment they have a solid monolithic styling that really works.

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:46 pm »
Hi jeffh,
it might be a good idea to keep the color as natural as possible,
however, darkening it a little might also be good. I like the wood texture even if in general I don't like pale looking wood.
Nice looking units and the tilting add something more to the look.
Thanks for sharing.

Guy 13

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm »
Linseed oil will darken them a bit. Maybe more than you like. But it tends to bring out the grain structure more. Use a scrap piece for testing. So far, "excellent job"...!