Its a new year special...

Danny Richie

Its a new year special...
« on: 3 Dec 2014, 07:45 pm »
Along with all of the new LGK drivers that just arrived there were also some cabinets. I had the manufacturer of the LGK's build me some sample cabinets. I was thinking they would be a good value at $40 a piece, and make building out the LGK 1.0 kit real easy.

The cabinets are made from 13mm MDF. So they are slightly thicker than 1/2". They are painted with a textured pant that looks pretty nice too.

However, despite the plans showing a radius on the back side of the driver hole and despite me pointing out the importance of it in an e-mail, they still failed to add the small radius.

So the customer will need to knock the inside edge off with a hand held die grinder or something. Not hard to do if you have the tools. And that shouldn't take very long. I am not too happy about it though.

They also failed to make the port opening as per the plans. It calls for a 2" hole for the port. They cut it just 1.9" in diameter. So the port hole needs to be opened up a little too. Again, a hand held die grinder should open it up okay. One will just have to work a sanding roll around the inside of it until it fits the 2" diameter of the port.

And the holes for the tube connectors are a little bit too small too. That one is an easy fix though. Just chase the hole through with a 7/16" drill bit and you're done.

So seeing as how they need these mods done to the box I think I will mark these down really low and blow them out.

Also, since the cabinets are already built you can't really line them with No Rez. And as small as they are and no more force than these put on the cabinet walls, that might not be too much of an issue.

So here is the deal. The LGK kit is normally $189 for everything. http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx  Minus the No Rez makes them $20 less.... So $169 for the kit.

And I am going to blow out the cabinets for $29 a piece. So you get the kit with a pair of cabinets for $227.

I am going to run this special through the end of the year or until all the cabinets are gone. They'd make a nice Christmas gift too I think.

Here is a review of the LGK 1.0: https://www.newrecordday.com/gr-research-lgk/
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2015, 09:18 pm by Danny Richie »

StevenZ

Re: Christmas special
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2014, 11:05 pm »
I bet I know exactly how the undersized port cutout and other holes happened.  Seems like a typical offset measuring error when getting back a sharpened CNC router bit or tossing a new one in and not removing the previous offset distance.  I've done this exact same thing before on my own speakers.

Anyway, looks like a great deal and I'm sure anyone would be happy with the kit. Those mods with a grinder take just a few minutes and should be easy enough for anyone with two hands to accomplish.  Good luck with the sale!

hifibuff

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2014, 11:38 pm »
Could you put NoRez in the upper and maybe the lower cavity if the NoRez height is cut in half? For the top use 2 pieces of 7" x 1.75"on one side instead of a single 7"x 3" piece? These can fit through the driver cutout.  I can see major problems trying to do this through the 2" port hole.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2014, 03:15 pm »
Could you put NoRez in the upper and maybe the lower cavity if the NoRez height is cut in half? For the top use 2 pieces of 7" x 1.75"on one side instead of a single 7"x 3" piece? These can fit through the driver cutout.  I can see major problems trying to do this through the 2" port hole.

You  might can stick a few small pieces in there. It's tough working through a small hole though.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2014, 07:11 pm »
You  might can stick a few small pieces in there. It's tough working through a small hole though.

yeah, and it's not  just geting the pieces in and into place, it's getting  some preasure on them to stick them well.  Maybe the kids with small hands can help out ? 

-jay

Danny Richie

Re: Its a new year special...
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2015, 09:18 pm »
I still have a bunch of these cabinets and will extend this special until they're gone.

mca

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:16 pm »
Do the crossovers need to be assembled? What is the skill level for someone that has no DIY skills  :oops:

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:27 pm »
Do the crossovers need to be assembled? What is the skill level for someone that has no DIY skills  :oops:

The crossovers do need assembly.

I'd say this one is beginner level. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm »

If you look here (starting at post 72) there are  some   photos and details that may help  out
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124657.60

-jay

hifibuff

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2015, 06:46 am »
I have finally got around to modifying the enclosures, not ready for speaker assembly. Since these are prebuilt, any idea on how to get the crossover in though the small driver cut out? The inductor size is almost the same size as the cut out. I have thought of different component layout for the crossover but no really good ideas. I suppose it will be mounted on the rear wall of the enclosure facing the LGK.

Thanks,

Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:50 pm »
I have finally got around to modifying the enclosures, not ready for speaker assembly. Since these are prebuilt, any idea on how to get the crossover in though the small driver cut out? The inductor size is almost the same size as the cut out. I have thought of different component layout for the crossover but no really good ideas. I suppose it will be mounted on the rear wall of the enclosure facing the LGK.

Thanks,

Steve

Mount the parts on a small board then slide it through the hole and screw it to the back wall. I usually a dd little Silicone to the bottom of the board as well.

Danny Richie

Re: Its a new year special...Desk top speakers.
« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:51 pm »
And guys, I still have some of these cabinets.

claudman

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2015, 12:14 am »
Any cabinets left?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:00 am »
Any cabinets left?

Yep, and the same deal is still there....

JDCrae

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:27 am »
Hey Danny,

Any chance you have any of these special kits remaining?  I know- its a long shot, but wanted to try

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2015, 02:06 pm »
Hey Danny,

Any chance you have any of these special kits remaining?  I know- its a long shot, but wanted to try

Yes, I do.