Huge liquidation sale!

bfs21

Re: Huge liquidation sale!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:21 am »
Ah -- knew there was something.... These cabinets really are nice.

Not a ton on the interweb by way of reviews and comments about CA speakers, but what I'm finding is glowing! 

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:58 pm »
Ah -- knew there was something.... These cabinets really are nice.

Not a ton on the interweb by way of reviews and comments about CA speakers, but what I'm finding is glowing!

Both product lines are really nice and there are really great deals to be had.

rdr2go

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2012, 08:58 pm »
Been looking for a pair of nice bookshelves. Think I may buy either the CA Devianti($1300 list now $400) or SVS mbs-02($999 list now $400) Both advertised as very good values even before discount.   I really value soundstage, detail, accuracy, the ability to separate sound from speakers-transparency? They both look real nice, and probably sound real nice.  Not a whole lot of info on either, except a little on previous model(svs mbs 01) and cst series.
I guess the Devianti should be better than highly rated by soundstage cst? As mbs 02 should be better than 01.
Any brilliant insights anyone can add to help me decide. 
Danny?
They both sound like excellent speakers at excellent values-which is what I'm looking for!  :icon_lol:
Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2012, 09:34 pm »
Been looking for a pair of nice bookshelves. Think I may buy either the CA Devianti($1300 list now $400) or SVS mbs-02($999 list now $400) Both advertised as very good values even before discount.   I really value soundstage, detail, accuracy, the ability to separate sound from speakers-transparency? They both look real nice, and probably sound real nice.  Not a whole lot of info on either, except a little on previous model(svs mbs 01) and cst series.
I guess the Devianti should be better than highly rated by soundstage cst? As mbs 02 should be better than 01.
Any brilliant insights anyone can add to help me decide. 
Danny?
They both sound like excellent speakers at excellent values-which is what I'm looking for!  :icon_lol:
Thanks.

Those MBS's don't look bad. Too many red flags for me though. The metal cone woofer for one doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzy's. And to much marketing jargon of no real value but no real information that tells you anything that might give any hint as to how they sound.

jaydillyo

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2012, 04:39 pm »
I don't much about speakers, but the specs listed for the MBS state:

Rated bandwidth: 40 Hz - 24 kHz (-6 dB points)
Sensitivity: 82.5 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space)

I don't ever recall seeing frequency response listed with -6db before...  and that sensitivity is so low.

That said, they may sound incredible. I've never heard them.

-- jaydillyo

kingdeezie

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2012, 05:53 pm »
I don't much about speakers, but the specs listed for the MBS state:

Rated bandwidth: 40 Hz - 24 kHz (-6 dB points)

I don't ever recall seeing frequency response listed with -6db before...  and that sensitivity is so low.

That said, they may sound incredible. I've never heard them.

-- jaydillyo

Even if they sound pretty good for the money, if that sensitivity is real, there is no way they are going to work with anything budget.

I am assuming that if you are only spending 400 dollars on speakers, you are not going to put enough into the rest of the system to properly drive those speakers to any decent amount of volume.

A common receiver, or cheap integrated is not going to have enough juice for something that is 82db sensitivity.

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2012, 06:21 pm »

Wow, I didn't even notice that as I glanced through the specs. That is pretty low.

rdr2go

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2012, 07:35 pm »
Yep, that had me curious as well. 
It just seemed to me that SVS would make a nice speaker, based on their rep for subs, id dealer, subs seem to have no detractors, I have an older 20-39, and its pretty nice.

I know even less about Carnegie Acoustics except for Danny's recommendation, which I take, not quite, but almost, as gospel. I'm just trying to find the best bookshelf speaker in this price range.  Was looking at emotiva 6.1, $315 on sale, Audioengine 5+, airmotiv 4, Whafedale 10.1, etc. Just a bunch of highly rated bookshelves, can't really audition any. Could demo some, but pay return shipping and rma's and that hassle.  I'd probably like any of 'em.  I know I like some of Danny's work, at av123(back in the good days b4 scandal and fall out) and actually have a pair of epiphany 12-12's, and rs1000's, now I want something smaller and more maneuverable and less room dominating so to speak.  Again, goal is the "best" speaker for least money. Without going diy, not really my thing.  Could probably do it, but would probably end up looking very homemade.

Danny-Is there anything else to know about the Devianti's?
What does that sonic cap replacement do that you mentioned previously?
I guess I am interested in possibly purchasing a pair.  $399 + shipping right? cost to 93940 rough est? Or just based on weight? I could look up. Or included?
Do you have a few left? Sell out likely soon?  Going to CAS in Bay Area next weekend, will check out what they've got.

2nd best bookshelf speaker I've heard and wanted was Usher tiny dancer be-718, heard years ago and loved, discontinued and replaced with newer more expensive model. Best ever was Von Gaylord heard at Audio show for $12k.  If that tells you anything about the sound I like.

Thx again,
Reed

pureiso

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2012, 01:25 pm »
Yep, that had me curious as well. 
It just seemed to me that SVS would make a nice speaker, based on their rep for subs, id dealer, subs seem to have no detractors, I have an older 20-39, and its pretty nice.

I know even less about Carnegie Acoustics except for Danny's recommendation, which I take, not quite, but almost, as gospel. I'm just trying to find the best bookshelf speaker in this price range.  Was looking at emotiva 6.1, $315 on sale, Audioengine 5+, airmotiv 4, Whafedale 10.1, etc. Just a bunch of highly rated bookshelves, can't really audition any. Could demo some, but pay return shipping and rma's and that hassle.  I'd probably like any of 'em.  I know I like some of Danny's work, at av123(back in the good days b4 scandal and fall out) and actually have a pair of epiphany 12-12's, and rs1000's, now I want something smaller and more maneuverable and less room dominating so to speak.  Again, goal is the "best" speaker for least money. Without going diy, not really my thing.  Could probably do it, but would probably end up looking very homemade.

Danny-Is there anything else to know about the Devianti's?
I guess I am interested in possibly purchasing a pair.  $399 + shipping right? cost to 93940 rough est? Or just based on weight? I could look up. Or included?
Do you have a few left? Sell out likely soon?  Going to CAS in Bay Area next weekend, will check out what they've got.

2nd best bookshelf speaker I've heard and wanted was Usher tiny dancer be-718, heard years ago and loved, discontinued and replaced with newer more expensive model. Best ever was Von Gaylord heard at Audio show for $12k.  If that tells you anything about the sound I like.

Thx again,
Reed

To be honest, I would send a message to Ron and see if he is willing to part with his new pair of X-LS Encores w/ No Rez and upgraded caps.  He was selling them for around $400, and they would probably be the best you could get for $400.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2012, 07:41 pm »
Was looking at emotiva 6.1, $315 on sale, Audioengine 5+, airmotiv 4, Whafedale 10.1, etc. Just a bunch of highly rated bookshelves, can't really audition any. Could demo some, but pay return shipping and rma's and that hassle.  I'd probably like any of 'em.

The problem with most speakers in those price ranges are that they were built to hit those low price points and still turn a profit. So very little can be budgeted towards the production cost. So to keep cost low they spend as little as possible on crossover parts. Performance then suffers.

The Carnegie line uses good quality parts throughout. They even use tube connectors, and those are the highest quality connectors money can buy.

Upgrading the caps to Sonicaps takes the resolution levels up a notch (or two).

I think before I got to carried away with the upgrades I'd consider stepping up to a pair of the CSB-1's. It is the mini-monitor in their other line that uses the BG tweeter.

See them here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98346.msg996611#msg996611

I can get you good deals on them too.

$399 + shipping right? cost to 93940 rough est?

I'd have to fire off an e-mail for an exact quote, but it should be close to $40 for the pair.

Do you have a few left? Sell out likely soon? 

They have a lot of them in stock. They brought in container loads....

2nd best bookshelf speaker I've heard and wanted was Usher tiny dancer be-718,

Thanks, I designed the crossovers in those too.

If you like those then you'll like the Carnegie line. They have a similar voicing.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #30 on: 30 Jul 2012, 08:59 pm »
Danny,
I would be interested in pricing on the CSB-1's if they are available.

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2012, 09:15 pm »
Danny,
I would be interested in pricing on the CSB-1's if they are available.

$549 a pair, and there are plenty available.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2012, 09:18 pm »
Danny,
Thanks!   :o  :drool:

noved

« Reply #33 on: 4 Aug 2012, 06:24 am »
I've read a few reviews on the CST-1 speakers but found nothing on the pedestals.  My question is, how do the pedestals measure up to the CST-1 speakers?  Also how much would shipping be to Canada?

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 4 Aug 2012, 07:57 pm »
I've read a few reviews on the CST-1 speakers but found nothing on the pedestals.  My question is, how do the pedestals measure up to the CST-1 speakers?  Also how much would shipping be to Canada?

Yes, they do, and welcome to AC.

Shoot me an e-mail regarding which models that you are interested in and I will get you a shipping quote. 

noved

« Reply #35 on: 5 Aug 2012, 10:10 am »
Thanks for the welcome. One more question though.  If the 2 speakers are so similar sounding, why are the pedestal $1000 more retail.  Is it just just for the look?

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 5 Aug 2012, 01:17 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. One more question though.  If the 2 speakers are so similar sounding, why are the pedestal $1000 more retail.  Is it just just for the look?

The cabinets are much more expensive to make and they have a pretty Nice PR on the back. Packaging cost more on the odd shape too as custom pieces of foam had to be made.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #37 on: 10 Sep 2012, 10:17 pm »
I picked up a pair of the Carnegie Acoustic Davanti's a couple of months ago from Danny...well I finally got back to the apartment in Memphis and hooked them up.  No I don't live in Memphis but I do fly for a cargo carrier out of Memphis.

They are being driven by a garage sale find (Realistic STA 870 65w Stereo Receiver) with the source a Panasonic Blu-ray for CD playback.  The stands are 2 bar stools with 4 Herbies big fat dots/speaker for isolation.  Cabling is all BJC.  Not great, but this is a crash pad for 5 pilots.  Hope to improve the amplification, source, and stands down the road; for now it will do.

The speakers came extremely well packed as shown by Danny in the above photos.  The piano black finish is perfect.

I will say the Davanti's are exceptional...smooth, detailed, and musical with excellent bass.  The drivers are extremely well integrated from top to bottom.  They easily play to volumes inappropriate for an apartment.

Outstanding deal, thanks Danny!!!

Mark

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #38 on: 10 Sep 2012, 10:38 pm »

For those in Canada I have a new pair of CSBs and some CSTs as well. Awesome speakers at these prices.

Rocket_Ronny

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 20 Oct 2012, 04:45 pm »
Still lots of these in stock.