Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!

Danny Richie

Re: Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!
« Reply #60 on: 8 Nov 2012, 09:42 pm »
This is also a concern for me. Placed in a large room and playing loud, a full range driver just doesn't cut it. The x mas looks pretty decent on the full range. How will these play at high SPLs?

Fellows when you take away the burden of a driver to have to cover 200Hz and down then you are taking away 90% of the burden. When 200Hz and down is taken away there is no concern of reaching the drivers X-Max. Its limitation will be thermal and not mechanical.

WC

« Reply #61 on: 8 Nov 2012, 09:56 pm »
The reason many like full range drivers is because of the lack of crossovers or minimally the movement of the crossover between drivers out of the midrange. Hence crossovers 200Hz or lower on the low end with subs or even on the high end >7 kHz with supertweeters where they are less noticeable.

archeion

« Reply #62 on: 8 Nov 2012, 10:27 pm »
It sounds like this involves some heavy digital EQing. How does  this effect phase?

persisting1

« Reply #63 on: 8 Nov 2012, 10:39 pm »
Fellows when you take away the burden of a driver to have to cover 200Hz and down then you are taking away 90% of the burden. When 200Hz and down is taken away there is no concern of reaching the drivers X-Max. Its limitation will be thermal and not mechanical.

Wow, you're not joking when you say the new 8" handles the mids when crossed at 200Hz. If you already mentioned being crossed over at 200Hz, then sorry for the last post.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #64 on: 8 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm »
It sounds like this involves some heavy digital EQing. How does  this effect phase?

This is not EQ.  This is impulse response correction.  A totally different idea for driver response correction, and phase correction is part of it. 

Andre2

« Reply #65 on: 9 Nov 2012, 12:21 am »
I like full range speakers. 
Heard them, really like them, Sam. 
but, I prefer to have eggs and ham. 
 :D

:green:
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2012, 04:35 am by Andre2 »

jparkhur

« Reply #66 on: 9 Nov 2012, 12:25 am »
I don't like full range speakers. 
Heard them, don't like them, Sam. 
I prefer to have eggs and ham. 

It appears you didn't read the entire book.  He likes them at the end.  This coming from someone who is reading as I type.  Rather listening to it.  ;)

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #67 on: 9 Nov 2012, 01:31 am »
So why are you here? :lol:
Do you also go to country bars and tell the othe patrons you don't like country music?!?

I myself like them, but they have their place. And this is an interesting design that looks like it could improve the low frequency extension.

ejfud

« Reply #68 on: 9 Nov 2012, 01:39 am »
This is a very cool project.

How many amps are needed to run this setup? Will it be offered as a kit someday?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #69 on: 9 Nov 2012, 01:44 am »
You will need one stereo amp for the two full range drivers.  The three servo drivers per side need one of the special servo amps that Danny sells.

Rclark

« Reply #70 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:03 am »

Those N3 TL towers of yours are full range speakers IMO. To me, 25 to 30 hz is effectively full range for music and the TL's do it.

jparkhur

« Reply #71 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:08 am »

[/quote]
You will need one stereo amp for the two full range drivers.  The three servo drivers per side need one of the special servo amps that Danny sells.

Cost is almost the same for two amps and two 12 inch as compared to three 8 s and two amps. 

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #72 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:18 am »
Question that came to mind regarding the digital crossover - will this tech be able to adjust the input somehow to compensate for the dispersion pattern of the full range driver in the upper frequencies?  In other words, in addition to the rise in the high frequency response that will be corrected out, will this technology be able to compensate in some fashion for the higher frequencies tendency to beam, relative to the dispersion pattern of the lower frequencies the full range driver plays?. . . or is this still in the realm of the driver designer to address physically alone?

Danny Richie

« Reply #73 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:29 am »
Question that came to mind regarding the digital crossover - will this tech be able to adjust the input somehow to compensate for the dispersion pattern of the full range driver in the upper frequencies?  In other words, in addition to the rise in the high frequency response that will be corrected out, will this technology be able to compensate in some fashion for the higher frequencies tendency to beam, relative to the dispersion pattern of the lower frequencies the full range driver plays?. . . or is this still in the realm of the driver designer to address physically alone?

Loss of off axis response or beaming effects are a direct effect of the size of the diaphragm. There is no changing it with the input signal.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #74 on: 9 Nov 2012, 04:14 am »
Will the digital crossover/correction also feed the servo subs? Does that mean you won't use the eq in the sub amps, and have complete eq control over the bass too?

Danny Richie

« Reply #75 on: 9 Nov 2012, 04:20 am »
Will the digital crossover/correction also feed the servo subs? Does that mean you won't use the eq in the sub amps, and have complete eq control over the bass too?

All of the digital correction will be for the full range driver only. Correction will be unnecessary for the lower woofers. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #76 on: 9 Nov 2012, 04:21 am »
The digital correction would only be for the full range driver. 

The second stereo XO channels would be to feed the servo subs with time delay.  This would insure the time delay through the XO to both the sub and full range driver is the same.  The servo amp would operate as normal with all the controls.

Ok, I just cannot type fast enough.  Danny beat me! :)

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #77 on: 9 Nov 2012, 04:27 am »
Thanks for the answers :)

Andre2

« Reply #78 on: 9 Nov 2012, 04:35 am »
I like full range speakers. 
Heard them, really like them, Sam. 
but, I prefer to have eggs and ham. 
Does it read better now?   :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #79 on: 9 Nov 2012, 12:15 pm »
Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.

I don't remember where I got this sketch,
but what do you think about it?
Do you think it will work taming the Dayton PS220-8?

Guy 13