Why no bybees?

Agisthos

Why no bybees?
« on: 4 May 2005, 02:20 pm »
Looking over your website Steve I noticed that none of your mods include having bybees installed when every other modder seems to do them.

Obviously you have reasons for this (other than their very high price?) can you fill us in on your experiences.

Also have you ever used the ERS cloth?

Bob15

Why no bybees?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2005, 02:37 pm »
I don't want to speak for Steve but I think he will tell you that dynamics may suffer.   Bybees are supposed to eliminate sibiliance, but if you go to the route cause of the sibilance through other Mods, then there is perhaps no need for Bybees.

[/u]

Jon L

Why no bybees?
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2005, 04:53 pm »
And as far as ERS cloth, I wouldn't want them pre-installed inside components I buy.  ERS does its thing and can be helpful in right places in right amounts, but it's very system-dependent and can hurt overall balance if overdone. It's the kind of thing user should experiment with on their own in small doses in their own system to achieve a balance IMO.

audioengr

Why no bybees?
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2005, 05:14 pm »
Jack Bybee and I had a long conversation about this.  I have found that Bybees are filters and after I mod a component, I remove most of the filtering, except for that which is necessary for the DAC chip.  I often find other modders putting Bybee filters inline with the digital signal.  This is not a good idea in general, so I remove them.  Jack evidently has some new silver Bybee filters that operate at much higher frequencies and have higher Q.  These may be interesting for digital.

Bybees for power delivery may make sense, but they are very expensive IMO.  I am working on several battery-powered projects, which I believe is a better solution.  The battery supply for my Off-Ramp is not too far off.

Steve N.