A couple questions re: ACI Sapphire 25th Ann. monitors

Lkdog

As can be seen in my signature, I own the an ACI Sapphire 25th Ann Ed/ACI Titan speaker setup. Have had the monitors since Spring of 03 and the sub since 2000.
I just upgraded my source to the wonderful Marantz SA14 (modded by Tube Reseach Labs) and have been experimenting with speaker toe in, sub level, sub level cutoffs, etc. I guess I am just trying to really dial things in now that I have a source that is extremely detailed and extended.

A couple questions for those more experienced than me in the ACI family:

1) What is the theoretical advantage/disadvantage to using the port plugs on the Sapphires? I have been running them full range and setting the sub to overlap at around 55hz (This is an older Titan and the low pass starts at 50hz and goes up). I seem to recall that using the port plugs cutoff the low end of the monitors at around 60hz and if not using them the effective low end on the monitors is around 40hz. Does using the port plugs function similar to a high pass filter?

2) I guess a related question is - Is it better to have the sub do as little work as possible, or more of the work? Is it generally believed that the Titan is really fast enough to set the low pass at 70-80hz or higher?  

3) Final question for now. Are there various versions of the ACI Jaguars that are definitely a step up from the Sapphire 25th Ann Editions? I see they are discontinued now. I love the Sapphires, but have always wondered about the Jags. I would keep the Titan to use with them and obviously would have to find a pair used somewhere.

Thanks for any input.

Lkdog

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2005, 04:37 pm »
With regard to the possible speaker upgrade question from the Sapphire 25th Ann ed., maybe I should learn more about the ACI Panorama's?

Is this the top of the line two channel monitor now replacing the Jags?
I read a few posts on it here. Some guys say it is a nice step up, others say they have a hard time hearing the difference.

Another option I have been offered is to demo a pair of Aerial 7B's.
Anybody heard them who also has heard the ACI line?

Thanks.

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2005, 01:21 pm »
Lkdog

You're thinking right about the plugs with a sub inline. It could be a matter of taste or the way your room sounds with either setup, but Mike mentioned to me that the plug set up might work better in a 2.1 or 5.1 setting (I own the 25th & Panos and used them in a theater set up)

I get better results when the cut off / crossover point is well into the mains, but I have no experience with a Titan.

At one point I used the 25th pair alone in a smaller room for DVDs and music, and the LF was unbelievable. A guest praised the sub one evening when there was no such device in sight (funny)

Demo the Panoramas. I could go on about the differences, but your ears are the real test.

Good Luck

E

Lkdog

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2005, 02:43 pm »
Thanks for the response.
I will play around with it some more.
It seems that when I plug the ports, there is a flatter bass response (for lack fo a better term). Maybe I got used to sort of a little hump or more pronounced bass response at the 38-45hz range.
I need to assess how it sounds with different CD's.
I have the plugs in and the Titan low pass at 65 hz or so right now.
I did turn up the bass level on the Titan a bit after plugging the ports in the Sapphires. It still is only at about 1/4 gain.

I see ACI has some closeout JAguars for sale. Hmmm..

Harry P

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2005, 01:07 pm »
Aerial was probably my favorite speaker line until I heard ACI. I think they have some real similarity. The big difference as I see it is pricing. You just can't beat the value of buying direct. I haven't heard any Jaguars, but that special price looks pretty amazing for sure. If I had the funds available, I'd jump on them myself

Lkdog

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2005, 11:20 pm »
HarryP and eDesk-thanks for the info.

I decided to give the Jags a try.
Can't beat the 30 day in home trial.
If they are a major step up, I can sell the Sapphire 25th Ann Ed to help with the cost.