Audio-Technica AT-LP120 anti-skate spring issues

Vinyl2CDRescue

• Long Live Vinyl By Keeping It Spinning!
    • Vinyl 2CD Rescue
Audio-Technica AT-LP120 anti-skate spring issues
« on: 26 Mar 2017, 10:20 pm »
I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 (yes I  know it's not that great of a TT  :oops:) with the built-in preamp removed and several other mods that has greatly improved it's performance. I read a post here on Audiocircle of a member (Wayner) who used a plastic bead epoxied to the bearing arm and fishing line with a fishing weight for the anti-skate issue on this turntable. I know this type of anti-skate mechanism is used on several other turntables and would like to get more details on this setup. I've cut my spring by 2/3 and it works okay (sort of), but need something better as many of you know this turntable has a weak/bad spring issue that has been discussed widely on other forums. I tried using a same sized stronger spring, but caused skipping issues at the start and the tonearm would move toward the beginning by an inch when raising the tonearm. I just joined and look forward to learning what I can.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2017, 08:48 pm by Vinyl2CDRescue »

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Audio-Technica AT-LP120 anti-skate spring issues
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm »
Welcome Vinyl2CDRescue :thumb:
After 3 post you can PM to him.

Vinyl2CDRescue

• Long Live Vinyl By Keeping It Spinning!
    • Vinyl 2CD Rescue
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2017, 08:55 pm »
Thanks. I made a better introduction of myself by posting what I have and what I like to do. I did the album then 8-track thing during the 70s in high school then back to albums after I went in the Air Force in 1980. I'm also on Audiokarma and SteveHoffman forums. I'm really big on YouTube and these forums as it's great to learn a little from everyone to better improve my system and to possibly pass on my experience to help anyone.  :)

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2017, 09:00 pm »
Here I am, what do you need to know?

Wayner