How about a Woodstock ticket?

daves

How about a Woodstock ticket?
« on: 22 Feb 2017, 12:59 am »
There is a sale upcoming on the 25th, thought someone might like this, if it is real...

https://picturescdn.estatesales.net/1443066/37401411/1.jpg

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: How about a Woodstock ticket?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:17 am »
Sad thats all that left, the women of this show are awful now.

daves

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:22 am »
I think Joan is still stunning.

http://images3.mtv.com/uri/mgid:file:docroot:mtv.com:/shared/media/images/amg_artist_portraits/standard/drp900/p928/p92843lexk5.jpg?enlarge=false&matte=true&matteColor=black&quality=0.85

Melanie, Grace Slick, poor Janis, and the others have not done well, but the youngest are in their 70s.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:29 am »
A friend of mine regrets throwing away his ticket.  Got to be worth some bucks.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:03 am »

http://images3.mtv.com/uri/mgid:file:docroot:mtv.com:/shared/media/images/amg_artist_portraits/standard/drp900/p928/p92843lexk5.jpg?enlarge=false&matte=true&matteColor=black&quality=0.85

Melanie, Grace Slick, poor Janis, and the others have not done well, but the youngest are in their 70s.

Wow - great photo of Joan. Looking good for near 75!

Here's the slightly oil-stained (I kept it in my garage for a few years!) poster I bought at Woodstock:

I wonder if it's worth much.

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2017, 03:54 am by Russell Dawkins »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2017, 03:20 am »
Are the men awful too?  Or just the women? 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2017, 03:50 am »

Sad that's all you can dwell on...

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2017, 05:26 am »
Wow - great photo of Joan. Looking good for near 75!

Here's the slightly oil-stained (I kept it in my garage for a few years!) poster I bought at Woodstock:

I wonder if it's worth much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Framed-Original-Woodstock-Poster-1-Day-Ticket-Photo-with-2-Certificates-/152433935826

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2017, 07:16 am »
Thanks, Phil A.
Interesting. The seller says that originals have small red dots in the yellow '3', 'of' and '&' of "3 Days of Peace and Music", but mine does not and I did buy it there...

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:53 pm »
I'm sure there are other sites or items for sale or information online - e.g. https://www.classicposters.com/Selling/Authentication

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:02 pm »

Are the men awful too?  Or just the women?
I was refer to woman in audience, the artist will live forever in the recordings which is a bless.

bentconvert

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:19 pm »
Thanks, Phil A.
Interesting. The seller says that originals have small red dots in the yellow '3', 'of' and '&' of "3 Days of Peace and Music", but mine does not and I did buy it there...

Did you look with a magnifier? The seller may be referring that originals were printed using the halftone process and fakes are not.

"Halftone is the reprographic technique that simulates continuous tone imagery through the use of dots"

When magnified, solid fields of color will appear as dots.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2017, 06:08 pm »
Did you look with a magnifier? The seller may be referring that originals were printed using the halftone process and fakes are not.

"Halftone is the reprographic technique that simulates continuous tone imagery through the use of dots"

When magnified, solid fields of color will appear as dots.

I had not checked for that, but did after your suggestion. I used a 3.5X and 7X loupe and could see no trace of red dots. I was not done with the half tone process—it looked like silk screen with nice sharp colour edges and fully saturated colours. I know mine is authentic—unless they were selling some fakes at Woodstock, which seems unlikely.
It's strange that there should be any confusion about this given the prices these posters are selling for.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2017, 06:29 pm »
The fact YOU bought it at the concert makes it verified. And provenance is everything for selling stuff like a poster.
I would write up a letter and have it notarized with the info and all you can remember about buying it. Keep it with the poster. Also if you have any photos of YOU at the concert, add them in too.
In 100 years your letter (with the poster) will mean the difference between $500 and $50,000 in value.

bentconvert

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2017, 07:21 pm »
Silk screen makes sense. The comments about dots made me think halftone. I think a silk-screened poster would have more value than than a halftone. It would fall more into the category of art than mass production.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2017, 07:24 pm »

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2017, 11:51 pm »
Hi,
 a buddy I paint with went to Woodstock. He said when he got to this gate with his ticket they announced it was then a free concert. He said everyone ripped up their tickets in joy. He said everyone was high so there were no collector types there. History had not been made, yet...Mark Korda