Bryston SP3 4K passthru

DRC

Bryston SP3 4K passthru
« on: 28 Oct 2016, 04:05 pm »
Hi
I have not been on this thread for a while and am looking for advice. I have 1 of the original SP3's with Serial no 112.
I am moving to 4K and would like to continue to use the SP3 as it was intended for video pass thru. I see that they have replaced the original HDMI board which was a Momentum Data Systems HSR8-3D around 2015 with the HSR-82.2 HDMI board.
Has anyone upgraded their SP3 with this new HDMI board?
I ask because this new board still does NOT support HDR and is NOT HDMI 2.0a.
I realize it is almost impossible for Bryston to "chase" HDMI's always changing specs. But a few things, especially HDR are critical to get the full benefits of SUHD.
My question is, has anyone used their SP3 with the new HDMI board and passed thru HDR? What errors would I expect if the projector and source both support HDR? HDMI 1.4 does not support Rec 2020 colour space or HDR.
Is anyone aware of if or when Bryston will ever offer the ability to pass thru HDR?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston SP3 4K passthru
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2017, 03:18 pm »
Hi James

Just want to let you guys know the SP3 hdmi 2.2 upgrade was a complete success.

Manage to connect the modified SP3 to our JVC Z-1 (RS-4500 over your place) and it pass through 4K HDR with no issues using our Oppo 203 and Panasonic UB-400 UHD disc players.

Switching between normal Bluray and 4K Bluray HDR content were hassle free, switching between the hdmi inputs of the SP3 were again problem free, maybe just a tad slow for 4K HDR picture to lock but nothing to complain.

Picture performance was brilliant through the SP3 and of course you have the usual brilliant SP3 sound for blurays and 4K blurays all through just a single hdmi cable to the SP3.

Again a fantastic job done for which we will whole heartily recommend this upgrade to our existing SP3 customers.

Best regards,
James Tan
Audio Visual Designs

jklowan

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2017, 07:42 pm »
So you can upgrade to 4k and HDMI 2.2 on any version board? I ask as I have a 2011 SP3 and would love to upgrade it but thought I read only the 2016 or later units could be upgraded.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2017, 08:29 pm »
Hi

I think you can. Email Mike. mpickett@bryston.com

cluseman

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2017, 01:18 am »
I had this upgrade just done on my SP3. Works perfect with all my 4K UHD sources output to JCV 770 projector.
Bryson turned around very quickly. Could not have turned out any better.wp

Alphonse

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2017, 05:21 pm »
Hi James, just to clarify, you are calling this an HDMI 2.2 upgrade. Does that mean that it is the most currently available 4k spec i.e., HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2 or what?

Reference:  https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/

If I purchase a used SP3 right now can any historical SP3 be upgraded or will it only work with more recent production? Range of serial numbers?

How much does the upgrade cost in US$

Thanks,  Al

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2017, 10:43 pm »
Hi James, just to clarify, you are calling this an HDMI 2.2 upgrade. Does that mean that it is the most currently available 4k spec i.e., HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2 or what?

Reference:  https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/

If I purchase a used SP3 right now can any historical SP3 be upgraded or will it only work with more recent production? Range of serial numbers?

How much does the upgrade cost in US$

Thanks,  Al

Hi Al

From Engineering:

SP3 currently ships with HDMI 2.0 (cant't remember is a or b) and HDCP 2.2

Old SP3 can be upgraded (HDMI card swap) but it is expensive because it involves replacing the rear panel due to a different layout of the input ports on the new board. 

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2017, 10:27 pm »
Hi Al

From Engineering:

Old SP3 can be upgraded (HDMI card swap) but it is expensive because it involves replacing the rear panel due to a different layout of the input ports on the new board.

It must be HDMI 2.0a as the post above stated his unit was upgraded by Bryston and it passed HDR. :o

jklowan

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2018, 05:24 pm »
I just got my Sp3 back with the HDMI 4k upgrade, Got the Cable TV and the DVD player hooked up and they are running great.

I have a question that I cannot figure out what is going on. Any help would be great as the manual is not going into to much detail. I

am trying to connect a Apple TV. I used the DVR button and when I plug the hdmi cable into the hdmi 5 input on the SP3 the TV gets no signal and the display on the SP3 shows hdmi5 no, which I assume means it's not getting a signal.

I know the Apple TV and cable are good because I connected the Apple TV through the DVD player, (OPPO 205), it passes the signal to the TV fine.

I really wanted to simplify the process for a signifigant other by having her press the DVR button and Apple TV would come on. But it doesn't work. I can deal with this but it makes it very complicated for her. HELP PLEASE, seems like this should work, does hdmi 5 not pass video signal?

jklowan

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2018, 11:11 am »
May have been premature in judgement. I'm getting hmdi board failed messages. Now picture passes to the tv via the dvd  player with sound to the tv but no sound out of the sp3. It also will not switch video from the dvd when the cable or other options are selected via the inputs in the front panel. I had them for a brief few hours then nothing :( I have also emailed Mike at Bryston, will post what happens, really bummed.

jklowan

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2018, 11:12 am »
Also runs really warm is that normal?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2018, 11:14 am »
HI jklowan

Sounds like something is really amiss - contact Mike at Bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

jklowan

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2018, 11:17 am »
Thanks James I have, hoping for the best

dminches

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2018, 11:37 pm »
Hi Al

From Engineering:

What is the cost for the HDMI card swap and the rear panel change?

And does Bryston charge for return shipping?

BrystonFan

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2018, 12:25 am »
Thanks James I have, hoping for the best

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

jklowan

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2018, 01:32 am »
>>Please keep us posted on the outcome.<<

On it's way back to Bryston tomorrow, still hoping for the best. Apparently the ribbon cable on the hmdi board can disconnect in shipping, not very comforting on a 1k "upgrade". Could explain why the hdmi outputs stopped working but no explanation yet for why the balanced and digital inputs don't work. Hopefully I now don't own a 11k paperweight. I'm beyond bummed

jklowan

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2018, 01:43 am »
What is the cost for the HDMI card swap and the rear panel change?

And does Bryston charge for return shipping?

I had an early sp3 2011, upgrade was 1k and I paid shipping both ways
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/news/2017_06_21_News_USB_Upgrade_SP3_version3.pdf

dminches

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2018, 01:58 am »
I had an early sp3 2011, upgrade was 1k and I paid shipping both ways
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/news/2017_06_21_News_USB_Upgrade_SP3_version3.pdf

That's for the USB board.  With the HDMI board and a 2011 unit they also have to replace the rear panel which is an additional cost.

This is going to cost at least $1500 if not more.

jklowan

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2018, 02:00 am »
That's for the USB board.  With the HDMI board and a 2011 unit they also have to replace the rear panel which is an additional cost.

This is going to cost at least $1500 if not more.

my upgrade was the hmdi to 4k, not the usb upgrade, it was 1k plus shipping

dminches

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2018, 03:53 am »
my upgrade was the hmdi to 4k, not the usb upgrade, it was 1k plus shipping

Thanks.  Did you need a new rear panel?