Interesting observation with Kanex Pro to a Benchmark DAC2

Freo-1

I've been using a Kanex Pro de-embedder from a Oppo BDP-95/105 to Benchmark DAC2 DX.  I've noticed a couple of interesting observations with this setup:

1) 16 bit CD's are decoded as 24 bit/44.1 KHz.  Not sure why that is happening.   

2) SACD converted to PCM shows up as 88KHz with both the 16 and 24 bit lights set.

In both cases, the sound from the Benchmark is stunning.  I have never heard CD's sound better.  The SACD/PCM with the Benchmak easily sounds quite a bit better than native SACD from the Oppo 95/105 standard, and even better than a Modwright Oppo tube BDP 95.  Truly an amazing product. 

My question is: Why is the HDMI out for CD showing up as 24 bit? 

Phil A

Re: Interesting observation with Kanex Pro to a Benchmark DAC2
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2016, 01:28 am »
I found a similar thing years back even using a Modwright solid state modded BDP-83 with a de-embedder going into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC (where I'd upsample the 88.2 to 176.4) and preferred the sound going thru the de-embedder vs. the analog outs of the player.  The highs via the analog outs were a bit better but the presentation, including imaging was much better via the outboard DAC.

Don't know why it shows up that way?  Is it a (20 bit) HDCD with the decoding done in the Oppo?

I've dragged players over to John Gatski's place of Everything Audio Network (http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html) to verify what they were outputting. Prior to the Benchmark showing word length, he had an A/D/Sample Rate converter (it was like $1.5k) that would show word length.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2016, 12:00 am »
I found a similar thing years back even using a Modwright solid state modded BDP-83 with a de-embedder going into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC (where I'd upsample the 88.2 to 176.4) and preferred the sound going thru the de-embedder vs. the analog outs of the player.  The highs via the analog outs were a bit better but the presentation, including imaging was much better via the outboard DAC.

Don't know why it shows up that way?  Is it a (20 bit) HDCD with the decoding done in the Oppo?

I've dragged players over to John Gatski's place of Everything Audio Network (http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html) to verify what they were outputting. Prior to the Benchmark showing word length, he had an A/D/Sample Rate converter (it was like $1.5k) that would show word length.

Every CD reads the same: 24 Bit/44Khz.  I assume that the output from the Oppo HDMI is at 24 bit, since that is what the DAC reads.  Not sure why.

I continue to be amazed just how good CD's sound with the DAC2.   It's easy to understand why these are in many recording studios. 

linger63

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2017, 04:20 pm »
I've been using a Kanex Pro de-embedder from a Oppo BDP-95/105 to Benchmark DAC2 DX.  I've noticed a couple of interesting observations with this setup:

1) 16 bit CD's are decoded as 24 bit/44.1 KHz.  Not sure why that is happening.   

2) SACD converted to PCM shows up as 88KHz with both the 16 and 24 bit lights set.

In both cases, the sound from the Benchmark is stunning.  I have never heard CD's sound better.  The SACD/PCM with the Benchmak easily sounds quite a bit better than native SACD from the Oppo 95/105 standard, and even better than a Modwright Oppo tube BDP 95.  Truly an amazing product. 

My question is: Why is the HDMI out for CD showing up as 24 bit?

It's because you have HDCD decoding turned on in the OPPO.......

Because of this ........your Benchmark (I have a DAC2 HGC myself!!) reads the incoming signal as having extra processing (which is fine for an actual HDCD)

The problem is that RBCD's are then also seen by the Benchmark as "processed" so they display as 24 bit too.

Simply turn off HDCD decoding in your OPPO when not playing a HDCD and all will be well.

Or.........if you like the sound.......leave it. :)

From the Manual...........

Word-Length Display

The word-length display is indicated by the two LEDs labelled 16 (16-bit) and 24 (24-bit). When a 16-bit track is played, the 16 LED will light up and vice versa when a 24-bit track is played. If a DSD track is played, both the 16 and 24 LEDs will turn off. Compressed MP3 files will display as 24-bits when originating from a player with a 24-bit MP3 decoder. When both the 16 and 24 LEDs are lit, it indicates that the word-length is between 17 to 23-bits. If the 24 LED is lit while playing a 16-bit file, the music player is performing some processing. Please review your music player’s settings.